Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostats....

What ya run and why?

I've learned quite a bit about it with my alternate fuel project, know why the OE's run what they do. What is your opinion on it?

I don't think anyone is wrong for running any particular temp, different applications have different needs. I'm curious where you guys stand on this highly contentious subject. lol

I take it to factory.
    195 whatever.
    seems the thermostat is a test as it climbs to an actual 190.. the drops right off to arctican maine land to a balmy 160 and stays there.
    at least it doesn't yo yo.

I did see 180 once with a/c on at an idle for along time on a hot day.
    wild and crazy.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Not sure what the flatbed runs but normally it never goes over 195 on a hot day with a heavy load..
      BUT first start up before first cycle, it will go to 220 ishy then open and drop..
      I know it is an over the counter one. (STAT?). Not the cheapest, not most pricy..
      Almost feel like swapping it but has not done it lately..
      I think something like that needs the best you can cough up?

Comment

mostly oem, 180 in the more performance oriented ones.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Mutt has a 185 as nearly as I can tell. It was in the engine when I got it and I boiled to make sure it opens which it did. So far so good. Truck has whatever is stock in a '02 Dodge/Cummins - ain't broke so I didn't fix it. I'll wager the HHR is set pretty high as they tend to do in newer cars (an '08 is "newer" to me).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            mostly oem, 180 in the more performance oriented ones.
            x2
            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
            74 Nova Project
            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
            79 Chevy Truck Project
            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

204 in the International, still tough to get warm water out of it.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

For the dd, the 84 C10, I use a 180 in the winter and a 160 in the summer. The 160 lets me have a bit more timing without detonation - it also keeps underhood and cowl temps a bit lower which helps the AC blow a bit cooler. The 160 doesn't provide enough heat in the winter when the outside temps require heat inside the truck; not usually an issue here in central FL, but when I drive up to the mountains to go hiking, having a functional heater is nice.
                In the Chevelle, 160 because of the lower under hood temps prevents vapor lock and starter heat soak, and again, reduced likelihood of detonation.

Comment

180 in both my Montes. I get plenty 9f heat when I need it.

Comment

Working...
                  X