Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Machine shop prices

Originally posted by KeithTurk
    if your bound and determined to do your first engine..
    K
    An honorable thing.

I did it once...made my dad go like this: :D :D :D

Comment

Well then try my ... " I'll work for your shop to get my machine work done... "

See how that works... you'd be surprised...

We were all young once... and most of us are Very willing to help someone who's trying to learn and help himself...

K

Comment

As far as pricing goes, here's the price sheet for Jensen's machine work for comparison.

And there's Ray Barton...

Ray Barton, David Barton, Hemi, COPO, High Performance, Mopar, CNC, Machine Shop, DYNO Tuning, Racing Engines, NHRA, MOPAR

The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

The jensen's prices seem in line with what I was quoted. I will ask about working some of it off, but knowing Dean, I am betting he will want cash.

Comment

Custom pistons cost $100 a piece and you still don't have a plan for the camshaft. Stock cam plus higher static compression equals massive cylinder pressure. You'd also have the problem of $400 worth of custom pistons swinging on $15 worth of connecting rods that are going to decide to quit at 6K rpm.

Your plan of attack should be to mill the head on stock pistons if you want the compression bump, then figure out how to regrind the cam and figure out all the geometry... then you still have the RPM limit with the weak bottom end to deal with which means huge machine shop bills and fancy connecting rods.

If it were my engine, I would try to keep the compression and RPM low and the cylinder pressure high... If only there were an easy way to do it. ;)
            Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

Delta Cams can re-grind stock cams to your specs and it's not that expensive to do. I was going to have them do a 6.2 GM diesel cam a couple years ago and I think it was about 100 bucks.

Brian
              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Crane used to be able to do it. :-[

My point is that there's no point to rethinking the wheel. You can make power with stock parts and forced induction. Building a naturally aspirated engine is spiritually fulfilling and all but it will be expensive and still be slow.

I seriously recommend a junkyard T3 from a turbocoupe and some cheap way of fueling it as the cheapest way to noticeable power.

Comment

I am not planning on either OEM domed pistons used on the HO head, or Hypertuetic Domed pistons from summit- $35 buck apiece plus S+H, and they are Just a better version of the stock domed pistons. Isky offers regrinds for my cam, but I have to stick to a budget, so the OEM spec HO cam will have to do. My compression bump won't be that much, just what comes milled off of reman head and what it takes to surface grind the block. Ford overbuilt the CVH motor, and the rotating assembly is reportedly good for 200 ish hp. I really want to try for maxton and the real street class, so I want to stick with my carb and naturally aspirated. I want to try match porting the head and intake and enlarge the exhaust ports. I am only looking for a little over a hundred hp.

Comment

You definitely know more about the CVH than I do, I wasn't aware there were stock HO parts.

If you have a plan, stick to the plan, even if big mouths like me keep yelling "tarbo!"

Comment

My suggestion is that you call Delta cams in Tacoma, WA. Google them for the number. You'll be surprised at their prices and they seem to do it right. One of the real bargains in the automotive world. They are not the best at recommending specs so it's good if you have some in mind when you call.

We all have to start somewhere and you're going to learn a TOM. I admire you for taking this on.

Best of luck
                      Dan

Comment

The 1.9 HO was really a good engine 108hp stock N/a. I am going to run a little higher compression and use a carb, so it should even out.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                          As far as pricing goes, here's the price sheet for Jensen's machine work for comparison.

Ray Barton, David Barton, Hemi, COPO, High Performance, Mopar, CNC, Machine Shop, DYNO Tuning, Racing Engines, NHRA, MOPAR

imagine that , Andy Jensen 275 bucks cheaper on a bore/hone w/torque plate. Barton is a drunk crook...oops did I say that out loud. Ps im on vaca. dringin rum runners and L.I ice teas !
                          Reading , Pa
                          Good Guys rodders rep.
                          "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
                          Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Doug, I am at work drinking rum runners and LI iced teas...HA!

Brian
                            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by ls7gto
                              Originally posted by Schtauffer

imagine that , Andy Jensen 275 bucks cheaper on a bore/hone w/torque plate. Barton is a drunk crook...oops did I say that out loud. Ps im on vaca. dringin rum runners and L.I ice teas !
                              Jeez, you're on vacation more than you work! Is this your Pearl Harbor trip?
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X