A Dream Realized or Patience Pays Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dream Realized or Patience Pays Off

I've been wanting a nice cruiser for many, many years and passed on the opportunity to buy a few over that time because I did not feel that it was the right bike for me...that is until last Thursday. Me and my boys drove to Phoenix and looked at a bike and I brought it home. The owner passed away recently and his wife (not a very friendly woman). He was quite wealthy and had quite a collection of cars and trucks and boats. His collection included this custom Harley and it's twin. It is a 2002 with a carb'd 88 and has gobs and gobs of custom work done to it. It rides like a dream. I picked it up with 8K on the clock.

I know HD's are not everyone's favorite but this is what I wanted and I finally got it. I am selling the Mustang the FJ1200 and am considering selling the Fury (we'll see, I am still on the fence about that)

Anyway...here it is....

Here it is with the sleeker HD seat and without the trunk....

Last edited by Monster; July 7, 2016, 03:02 AM. Reason: Corrected title spelling
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Nice bike!
    Might wanna rethink selling "everything"
    Seems the answer now..

Comment

carb'd 88, new chassis.
      I remember those thoughts in the early 90s.
      some people really did it.

I am a hater until seeing parades, american flags flying.
      the originals were very humble and made history, much smaller motor.. no revs in mind.
      I like them for torque based thinking...
      I'd love a real old military one...maybe even a sidecar.

selling off stuff to narrow down to the real joy of something.
      I had to learn that too.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 6, 2016, 10:01 AM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You'll need a car, especially since you have spawn. That said, something in a 4 door pickup would work too.... every single person I know who went to the "motorcycle" lifestyle ended up buying another car.... what's interesting? this - every person that didn't go from a car to a motorcycle.... still only has a motorcycle (granted that is 2 people, but it's significant).... once you're a car guy, you'll always swing back

That said, rehoming the Mustang isn't a bad idea for reduction in cash outlays.

And with that said, how hot does it get there?
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I am retiring in a few months and need to thin the herd. I am at 10 vehicles titled and insured and it is killing me financially. The Mustang is going no doubt simply to free up money. I have had my fun with it and it is time to go. My older boy is showing interest in the FJ so I may hold onto it it costs 12 dollars to register for 2 years and insurance is 75 a year so I am not really out much with that. I really don't think I'll sell the Fury, it doesn't cost much to maintain and insure. I am getting rid of a lot of stuff that has been accumulating in the house over the years...I will be looking to rent a small house in in a month or two. My daughter will be taking her car soon and they boy is driving my Ram for now. I just need to sort out a starting issue on his D100 and it will be ready to go. Then I will take the Ram as my DD...

This probably was not the smartest move but the payments are really low, and the insurance is dirt cheap so I jumped on it. Most everything that could be done to it has been done and the paint is pretty amazing. At 80 mph in 5th it just chugs along as smooth as glass, it is comfortable and a lot easier to ride than the FJ...it also came with a lot of extra parts....I feel like I got a great deal...I love it We went on a 150 mile round trip yesterday through the mountains and desert. It was hot but the ride was fantastic....4 bikes in all...we had a great day.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I'm not into Harleys, but the only thing matters is that it makes you happy Joe.
            It looks like you got your moneys worth and then some. It's a nice looking bike.
            Be careful riding.

Comment

Beautiful cruiser Joe, lots of nice custom stuff there - enjoy and have fun with it.

To all you others ... please don't feed the Trolls !!!

Comment

deal

Nice bike Joe!

Comment

that is a classic feel, finding the peak of the carb cruising.

80 seems right. I bet it is good on fuel.

a weird lesson was going from years of small block to the last 305 with multiport. I need cruise as there is no solid line to peak, throttle is a lot like todays LS. The 1 barrel 1781cc subaru brings that back for me.
                  the only harleys I ever tried were carbed and custom. Got a lesson in points, and thinking fast for repairs...at any moment.
                  I remember the bigger the motor, the sooner the points would bite themself.
                  that was old stuff there.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 7, 2016, 05:47 AM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Motive View Post
                    deal
                    Very amusing .. I almost did all aliases too.
                    Not sure what happened last night, but when the urge hits, go play on YB next time.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Very amusing .. I almost did all aliases too.
                      Not sure what happened last night, but when the urge hits, go play on YB next time.
                      Face it man, the internet in general has obviously become a hazard to anyone above section 8.
                      Last edited by G-Motive; July 7, 2016, 06:19 AM.

Comment

Comment

Hey , we're getting hazard pay everybody !
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

personally I just throw monster in front. safer that way ;)
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

beautiful bike, Ive been casually on the hunt for 2 or 3 years myself. just what i would want too, electra glide, then have the gunslinger seat for solo cruizin!

how big is the front wheel, and is there a match on the back?
                              Charles

Comment

Working...
                              X