Red at Daytona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
    Hey Peewee was looking at map, yep about 3-3½ hours from lake so I would have to get a room but could drive back that afternoon. Hope it pans out if not I will definitely make it at a later date. Man I'm AMPED!
    Don't plan to drive home from there. You'll be more beat than you can imagine at the end of the day. We're only two-plus hours away from there, I won't do it, the driving home.

Quality Inn Dawsonville - 706-216-1900. They've got a wedding and a Jeep convention going on that weekend. Hope they have a room left.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

We always rush up to faraway derbys and drive back afterwards, this time we went up a day early, (still had to hurry to grab our rooms at the motel)
      Then stayed for fireworks.. Slept real good after a bath.. Easy drive home next day. I want to get rooms from now and on if it is more than 2 hrs away!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        We always rush up to faraway derbys and drive back afterwards, this time we went up a day early, (still had to hurry to grab our rooms at the motel)
        Then stayed for fireworks.. Slept real good after a bath.. Easy drive home next day. I want to get rooms from now and on if it is more than 2 hrs away!
        THAT road course, AMP, it's the most intense one in the Southeast. It's slow, no big speed, but you don't even have time to check your gauges if you wanted to. You're too busy steering and hanging on. I've quit before the end of the last run every time I've been there. Yep, it's fun, but it's nearly TOO much fun. Like ENOUGH fun, I'm going to bed. That's hard to describe, and nobody could believe it until they've done it.

AMP will kill the tires and the brakes and the driver. It'll kill the brakes the most until the driver gives out. And we're going back because it's fun. You can't have that much fun on the street. You can't put a price on how much fun is so much fun that you have so much fun until you're actually ready to quit having so much fun because you're just exhausted from having so much fun. That's AMP.

Comment

Between qualifying and the main, we hammered clearance on one tire, torched clearance on another, changed both front tires, (I lost a fawkin lug nut in the grass, but it was in the spring pocket). Added water into a hot motor, removed the mashed up electric fan (without removing the hood) and added 3-4 gallons of fuel.. We had 5 min to sit and catch our breath when the bullhorn called us to the track. By the time we laded up, I was practically shaking from back to feet.. Been laid up all week with my heating pad.. Did something today.. Boy I'm glad I don't have a job..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Did something today.. Boy I'm glad I don't have a job..
            BUT......was it fun?

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post

BUT......was it fun?
              No! Moved 2 freezers.. One was light, the other heavy!
              Tomorrow I gotta fix a damn water line leak!

Comment

BUT......was it fun?
                Derby..HELL YES!
                Moving freezers...NO!

Comment

Driving at Daytona is a real thrill for sure.

I only got up to 147 mph in six laps before they slowed me down but what a wonderful feeling being out there with only four other cars and getting to have some fun. I was 62 at the time.

I think I was safer on the track then on the highways driving to the track!!!

It' a great adventure and I would love to do it again.

Jim Hill

Comment

I think the "Beast" should hit the high banks too.......
                    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                    The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

IN. Just got off the phone with the owner of PDE. We're IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      What is the date? If I'm free, I'll try to come watch your laps and meet you both finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

What is the date? If I'm free, I'll try to come watch your laps and meet you both finally.
                        That would be GREAT Steve! It's Friday December 9.

Comment

Working...
                        X