Scrap Pile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrap Pile

Do you keep one? What's in it? How long between hauling in?

Yep.. 6 mo to a year depending on pices and how big it is..
    Gotta take a load in soon. Too hot tho..

Comment

I started a new one, after my last yard cleaning almost a year ago. of course scrap prices tanked just before I hauled it off, so I didn't get much.

my scrap pile had been here from 1993 to 2010, then I got rid of a lot of it, and now it's down to practically nothing. And I"m too lazy to go take a picture.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I give mine to a garage in bangor maine.
        I lived next door, and heard a tremendous crash and iron dust hitting the sky randomly.

I give all my stuff to them. Weekly trips to the scales... even big piles are not exactly getting rich.
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 25, 2016, 10:49 AM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yeah I'll get exactly zip from the local yard for steel. Anybody wanna give me $5 for a forged 327 crank? It's just...patina...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
            Yeah I'll get exactly zip from the local yard for steel. Anybody wanna give me $5 for a forged 327 crank? It's just...patina...
            Damn! I got TWO!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Damn! I got TWO!

Fer two bucks, I'll write "Property of Bob" on the end of it, before I take it to scrap...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Fer two bucks, I'll write "Property of Bob" on the end of it, before I take it to scrap...
                Lol.. There is a 50/50 chance one of mine is still good.. I hope.. I love the way my 2 built 327's rev over the built 350..
                One 327 and the 350 have pistons that poke up, the other 327 is a flat top motor with a bigger cam than the pop top. All 3 are solid liftered..

Comment

I had over 20 tons of scrap here, never hauled in 25 years. mostly because I never took the time. Then when the scrap price went up to 200+ per ton, I had my son start hauling it in, with the agreement that he does the work and we split the $$. I still have about 5 tons left, but now the price is too low to bother. Now, the little stuff just goes in the trash so I don't have to deal with it again. Bigger stuff goes in the pile, waiting for $200 again.

Typical look of my scrap:

Comment

Not much anymore except the three perfectly good 250 Chevys (all non-intregal head) and a 322 Nailhead w/Dynoflow. All are in the shop and I can't bring myself to throw them out - it's good stuff!

Dan

Comment

here are a few loads from 6 years ago. A few hundred bucks a load, back then.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6038.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	462.6 KB
ID:	1115629

Name:	IMG_6022.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	1115630

Name:	IMG_6018.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	512.5 KB
ID:	1115631
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

Jim..D2 cat?

More $$ splitting loads like Jim did..
                        They do give more when you mix it like Joel did.. But it never is as much as if you split it

Got 5-6 used up derby bodies to go.. One in the truck, 2 on the trailer, be happy to get $100/ton..
                        Took frames in 2 years ago and got 260-280/ton.. Once China stopped building for the olympics, price dropped
                        Plus it is an election year.. Prices should rise by spring.. Taking in bulky bodies, saving frames.

Comment

1940s International TD-9

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            1940s International TD-9
                            My 2nd choice...

Comment

Working...
                            X