Someone got the shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Someone got the shaft

Three people went to the hospital after a truck’s driveshaft was catapulted into the crowd at a Utah demolition derby. The videos are a terror:

it's amazing that it got to the point where it'd get thrown....
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Saw that.. Pretty bad!
    Looks like he floored it as he went over? I couldnt tell..

Comment

Tried to find th first vid I watched, showed the shaft coming out closer to the camera, then the other I found was far, but can still see the shaft fly..
      Could not get it to transfer here...

Comment

Jukin Media Verified (Original)* For licensing / permission to use: Contact - licensing(at)jukinmediadotcom

Comment

I'm going to hell, but the first time I saw that on Jalop, I thought of this
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Bob, isn't a driveshaft loop (maybe one front and one rear) required? I was surprised to see that shaft flying.

Dan

Comment

Totally wild .never seen anything like that . Can't imagine the impact of that to a person .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Bob, isn't a driveshaft loop (maybe one front and one rear) required? I was surprised to see that shaft flying.

Dan
                I used to run a chain over the tunnel under the driveshaft.. Used to be required most places.. I am surprised when I read most rules, not required..
                Maybe this will make them required?

Comment

That would seem like a common sense rule to me. LSR is pretty restrictive on the safety end so I'm used to that. I realize that the purpose of Demo is to total the car (at least, the other guy's car) so you wouldn't want to do more prep than necessary but it seems like this would be necessary as shown by this event.

Dan

Comment

very punny....
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I was going to go to a demo derby, little one at bangor fair.
                      some UFC bigwig has also added being a driver to his worldwide quest to do a bit of everything before he dies.

I'll ignore this unsafety stuff and check it out anyway.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Once in a lifetime event.. Will never happen again!
                        These were pickups. They sit higher and tend to lay over..
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 1, 2016, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Yeah , I'd never seen a truck derby before . I got to checking . A couple were hit in the foot and one in the ankle. The thrid couldn't find anything about.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Once in a lifetime event.. Will never happen again!
                            These were pickups. They sit higher and tend to lay over..
                            Maybe so..
                            but in an event that can move or remove a rear end from under the car/truck and send the shaft out of the trans,, or break a u joint..
                            I'd think it be a loop on at least one end for if nothing else driver safety.. I think the last one I bought. was 14.99 ..
                            Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; August 2, 2016, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Solid loops are no good in a derby.. Car bends the shaft into the loop and breaks it easily..
                              Best go to a derby, walk the pits.. Can't tell where you are from but the midwest has some of the strongest built derby cars
                              They are no longer junkers but well built machines.

Comment

Working...
                              X