22 pushups for veterans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 pushups for veterans

it seems this gets more attention than the v.a.

22 suicides a day.

22kill.com made cbs news for their 22 pushups fundraiser

22kill.com on facebook

The suicide subject got personal for me. 2 of them.
    I was going to jump up and do 44 in a hand stand (one of my circus acts of fame).. on top of my subarus roof rack.
    Not sure how the program works.

yes, I am a disabled veteran and 43 years old. Don't stop me.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 16, 2016, 07:07 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

I have a few friends who have participated in this.

The Idea is to Do 22 push ups a day for 22 days, posting video of themselves doing the push- ups for each of the 22 days. I'm all for supporting our Vets & disabled Vets (I'm Retired Army Reserve) however, I don't use Facebook or any other social media~ Other that a couple on line Forums(Go Forum Freaks!)

& boxer3main,,, ~Thank You for your Service!~
    '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
    '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
    79 Trans Am project
    ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Your welcome.
      I had a terrible tour. My age group is seeming non-existent (18 in 1991)
      the suicide stuff..
      I was there not for depression. 3 years as a vegetable in pain unimaginable.. I eventually wanted to sleep.
      My first reach to veterans affairs was slurred speech and a recent 10 tooth explsion in my mouth...to be told I was not a veteran.(I have 6 years in the gulf stampede -crew chief, an animal)
      I was there, I was done.

my first deeper breath was meeting infantry, Today I have a viet nam neighbor and one at 90yrs old that flew with doolittle for training.

understanding the rheostat of circus to pile of shit is long before us modern soldiers. That has to be taught. We do it all. Win and lose.
      I had it all around me all along.

I was one that worked with chuck yeager for an air show.. and was enslaved in labor at the same time. All shifts.

anyway..
      I'd do the pushup thing. Try anyway. My arms never stopped.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

I don't think I ever did 22 push ups in a row . Just was wasn't my thing . And was gainfully imployed since I turned 18 so neither was the military. Knees are shot , can't do alot of squats . Cant I do sit-ups instead ?
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I found this on facebook this morning..

Click image for larger version

Name:	22pshups.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1119202
          I would guess they look for stars and media type links to gain attention.

I am actually on the other side of being very physical.
          I used to be quite a nut..I guess I helped gain honor flight in the basic trainings.
          a one handed pullup on the monkey bars kinda guy... back flips in junior high. the second shortest guy on the team, standing in second place to the long legged fastest.

my military time did me in. It's like being a curse getting ignored. Say stuff angry, and it happens.
          Gotta be careful.
          precious time.

I won't be doing this.. but glad to get the reply on how it works.
          Previously boxer3main

Comment

I want to know how it helps anyone. Awareness? That's it? Call me cynical, but I hear and see these platitudes all over. Supporting veterans, giving to charities for vets, no veteran should be homeless. In my experience its all bullshit. It makes people feel good about themselves, while doing nothing or very close to it for veterans.

Know what I have found to be true? If we ask for help, for anything, we are seen as weak and everyone turns their backs on us. I guess we have to wait and hope that someone finds us then decides to send some of these millions they collect for us, or whatever it is they do, because if you ask for people to come out and lend a hand, you hear crickets.

The reason 22 of us off themselves every day? Simple. Nobody honestly gives a damn. They say they do, but that is where it stops. We are disposable, and its cheaper if we aren't around anymore.

Comment

Cousin was on the river boats in Nam.. Only one in the family with Parkinson's like shakes..
              He refuses to ask for help.. I think I understand why..
              Buddy Steve was an AOC driver for 2 tours in Nam..
              Went in for a liver transplant.. Sent him home 4 or 5 times. He died of liver failure..
              Raise awareness that our veterans need help that does NOT MAKE THEM LESS..would be a good thing
              Another friend, tunnel rat, alky.. Got no help but to go to AA...
              A friend of my son's is in Spec. Forces.. I can see he will need help.. Always loved him like my own, still do.. Do not like what the services made him into.. I hope he comes out unscathed.. See my cousin, thought he was ok.. NOBODY in my family has Parkinson like symptoms!

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                I want to know how it helps anyone. Awareness? That's it? Call me cynical, but I hear and see these platitudes all over. Supporting veterans, giving to charities for vets, no veteran should be homeless. In my experience its all bullshit. It makes people feel good about themselves, while doing nothing or very close to it for veterans.

Know what I have found to be true? If we ask for help, for anything, we are seen as weak and everyone turns their backs on us. I guess we have to wait and hope that someone finds us then decides to send some of these millions they collect for us, or whatever it is they do, because if you ask for people to come out and lend a hand, you hear crickets.

The reason 22 of us off themselves every day? Simple. Nobody honestly gives a damn. They say they do, but that is where it stops. We are disposable, and its cheaper if we aren't around anymore.
                You most likely won't like this,, and I'm sorry in advance for that but many don't bother because they see some vets that really can't do much , like Barry.. then for every one disabled vet. like that they see 25 that can function enough to hold a job, go to work, earn s living.. but don't.. They see a disabled vet that can manage to say, in your case restore cars, but not work. or like the one on my street that is getting disability checks but working under the table.. I don't know your whole story, but I do of the guy on my street and he is scamming the system. and doesn't care.. and sadly there are many.. and like anything it only takes a few to spoil it for everyone.. it be one thing if it was only a few, but it isn't many have the same morals as those that scam the welfare system.. people are not blind.. but not always know the whole store and jump to a conclusion . but most times their first instinct is correct.. will this problem ever be fixed, not in my life time.. I'm sure many on disability are because of PTSD.. and most people don't understand how that works and why a person might be able to do something but not hold down a job.. That's a problem all to it's self.. but truth be told the neighbor that is scamming the system,and is proud that he can, and a V.A. system that when you call them to inform them of this, don't care, can't be bothered.. I'll tell ya it changed my thought on the whole disabled vet subject.. as the whole crew of guys he works with are, or as far as the V.A. knows disabled vets..
                Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; August 19, 2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

I really doubt the guy is "scamming the system" by working under the table..
                  #1.. disability pays just enough to disqualify a person from food stamps.. times by paying $100 over the allowable income
                  Under the table pays for clothes.
                  Disability has not kept up with cost of living adjustments (COLA)
                  COLA many times is 4-6% a year, disability is 1-2% IF AT ALL
                  if the neighbor wants a car to drive with insurance, then "under the table" is required
                  I am very frugal with my $$, it is still hand to mouth.. If something breaks majorly, I'm screwed!
                  So, do not knock someone until you walk their shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    I really doubt the guy is "scamming the system" by working under the table..
                    #1.. disability pays just enough to disqualify a person from food stamps.. times by paying $100 over the allowable income
                    Under the table pays for clothes.
                    Disability has not kept up with cost of living adjustments (COLA)
                    COLA many times is 4-6% a year, disability is 1-2% IF AT ALL
                    if the neighbor wants a car to drive with insurance, then "under the table" is required
                    I am very frugal with my $$, it is still hand to mouth.. If something breaks majorly, I'm screwed!
                    So, do not knock someone until you walk their shoes.
                    if he can do construction and the whole crew can do construction work under the table,, they are not disabled..
                    sorry.. nope
                    nevermind the skipping out on income taxes..
                    Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; August 19, 2016, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Then that is different..
                      Many of us wish we can work..
                      Helping my son build derby cars kill me.. I was a fabricator for a time.. I can build brackets easier than people can cut paper.
                      When a derby is done, I crash for an easy 2 weeks..
                      Strange part of disability? If You can work part time, you can work full time..
                      Simple tasks take me forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Then that is different..
                        Many of us wish we can work..
                        Helping my son build derby cars kill me.. I was a fabricator for a time.. I can build brackets easier than people can cut paper.
                        When a derby is done, I crash for an easy 2 weeks..
                        Strange part of disability? If You can work part time, you can work full time..
                        Simple tasks take me forever.
                        I understand, that's why I hate guys like the one on my street..
                        the other is lack of understanding of PTSD..

Comment

the vets disabled can be scary.

there is wild stabs in chem chains leaving abnormal versions of disabled.
                          the nukers.
                          the noise.

I went several years before someone told me I talked very loud.
                          bad ears..both of them.

Self diagnosing, july and august I feel the best.
                          in the civilian world of medical hackery..
                          lou gehrigs disease in a wave is me now at 43.
                          jitters, the changing speech, the abnormal weak..
                          it comes and goes.
                          my dad is the only one I mentioned it too.

part time full speed is very satisfying...
                          I am alive.

another factor, slobs with big heads do not think of.
                          soldiers are trained to go all out, seeming kamikaze.
                          that god strength mode is not 50 hours a week, it comes back as pain.

like knees to airborne, or chemistry to weapons men.
                          the gung ho stuff goes away..and human is left.

never judge.
                          I was at the vet forum, and some thug was griping about an 8 month active tour where the guy was full pension.
                          #1. he did not know the mission, and may not have the right to.

respect the fact those pensions and medical come through.. whoever it may be.

the 22 pushups stuff is a fundraiser, aimed at wherever a mission is announced.
                          someday the V.A. will have this all correct, and no extra groups will be needed.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 19, 2016, 07:24 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                          X