hinge help (not car related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hinge help (not car related)

I want to make a bookshelf with a hidden compartment or false bottom. I've been googling, and have an idea, but can't seem to locate the hinges I want to use.
    Here's my idea:
    Use the hinges similar to what the cheap entertainment centers use for the door openings; basically an L shaped piece of steel with a pin that goes into the wood above and below the door, roughly in centerline with the door. For the false bottom, I would install these hinges on both sides, approximately two inches from the back, so pushing down on the back side of the "shelf" would cause the front to come up. The "shelf" would be supported with cleats that hold it level when it's in the down position.
    If I can cut straight lines, I can get a tight fit (mortising the hinge into the shelf), so it would be invisible to anyone who didn't know it was there; no hardware or latches showing.

My problem... I can't find those "hinges" on any google searches, and the ones on my entertainment center are very small... only one screw hole; I'd like the hinges to have at least two screws.

Anyone know what those hinges are called?

Re: hinge help (not car related)

Shoot... right after I post that, I find this:

it says no mortising necessary, but I will, in order to get a tight fit.

Yay... I'm excited.

Comment

if you want the door to open down..
      a piano hinge will work and be not seen. as it be below the door..

Comment

Make the bottom shelf slide out. Then you don't have to move all the stuff on it to get into the bottom.
        OH YEAH
        Long haul 07. 08. 10, 11, and 13. Looking forward to 2014

Comment

Working...
        X