Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got the new motor up and running in my 66.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the new motor up and running in my 66.

Finally after 3 moths of working in it between other stuff. It's a 97 Explorer GT40P motor with a Mustang 5.0 cam, Mustang Cobra 1.7 roller rocker arms, MAC long tube headers, Wieand Stealth intake with a 600 Edelbrock. I managed to take it out for a short test tun, it runs a lot better then I thought it would. It loves to rev. I don't have a tach but I would guess around 3K it just screams. It pulls hard even with 2.8 rear gears. It's a 4 speed car. I should probably start a post in the project section since I've done a lot of other work that could be useful to another early Ford guy or gal. I need a rude side exhaust system now!

Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Sounds great ! I remember we had a thread about the exhaust a while back so I not repeat myself . Congrats on getting it going .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Always nice taking test drives..no matter the car!

Comment

tall 4 speed = original legend.

I can only pretend with a five, lugging it through the little towns.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Nice!
          Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
          74 Nova Project
          66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
          79 Chevy Truck Project
          1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Sweet .. Congratulations !!!

Comment

Groovy! Hope the pan is oil-tight.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Groovy! Hope the pan is oil-tight.

Dan
                Actually I had a scare on it Dan. I primed the motor Saturday night. Sunday there was a puddle of oil under the bellhousing on the floor. I was thinking if there was a puddle from just priming it, how much would leak when running? I started to scope out what I needed to do to remove the pan or for that matter the rear main seal. The rear main is a 1 piece seal and I used a Felpro 1 piece oil pan. fter I had it running for a while and set the timing I went to see how badly it was leaking. Nothing, bone dry. Then I remembered while I was priming it I loosened the oil filter to check for oil. It leaked out and dripped onto the kick out on the side of the pan. There must have been some oil I missed that ran along the rail of the pan to the bellhousing and dripped.

So far everything looks good! This weekend when I'm home I'll drain the water and put anti freeze in. The only problem is the starter is grinding a bit.
                Last edited by Huskinhano; October 10, 2016, 03:31 PM.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Congratulations! Sounds and looks great! Glad to hear it drives well. Any plans to take it to the track? I bet it runs over 100 in the quarter!
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                    Congratulations! Sounds and looks great! Glad to hear it drives well. Any plans to take it to the track? I bet it runs over 100 in the quarter!
                    I was thinking about that. I'm not sure just the lap belts will fly. But definitely in the spring! The old motor just didn't want to rev so I neer put a tach in. This thing loves to rev. Even with the 2.8's it really seems to boogie. If this thing had 3.25's it would be a terror. As soon as I get a few extra dollars I'm going to order one of those do it yourself exhaust kits and some glass packs and make a nice, rude side exhaust!

Hey Russ, do you have a 157 tooth PMGR starter laying around? If so take a picture for me of the drive. I want to compare it to the Explorer starter. I think I can use it.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I think the Explorer starter is a pmgr - sun gear, doesn't have the funky offset. Congrats on the startup!
                      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

pretty sweet!
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have a newer starter laying around not sure what's off got it in a "garage clean out" i assumed it was off a 93? will try to get a picture tonight.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            I think the Explorer starter is a pmgr - sun gear, doesn't have the funky offset. Congrats on the startup!
                            Yes it is. I was talking to one of the guys on VMF said he had a grinding issue with the 157 tooth 5.0 flywheel and the old Mustang starter for a 157 tooth. He said the PMGR fixed it. I'm hoping that's the issue and not the new billet flywheel.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

good to hear tom. i still owe you a beverage.
                              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X