Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking a trip, not taking a trip, so I took the trip

My daughter comes to me and says
    "Daddy, I'm moving to Florida, would you please take my car so I don't have to drive?"
    Being daddy, I would do anything for my little girls, now just where did I put that car trailer?
    Oh, that's right, I don't have one. Lets check out craigslist, see what we have there.

I call Uhaul, to get a price on a one way car trailer. guy says to me $900 smackers
    just to take it one way, HUH?!?!?!?!?
    So I think to myself, I can buy one, use it, and either sell it over there, or bring it back
    and sell it here.

I think some of those guys on CL are on something, I checked out some of their trailers for sale
    and can see why they are selling them, and I would need to completely rebuild it to make it useful.

So I rip off the bandaid, bite the bullet so to speak, and buy a new one.

I make it to Florida in 54 hours towing the little Japenese car, then start looking around to see if anyone
    wants anything taken over to the west coast. Naw, I looked into Uship, but those people are just fishing
    around to see what they can get for really cheap, but then again, I'm looking through Craigslist.

Yup, there it is, That 55 Chevy Rust Bucket.

There's something to be said about two old guys cruising across the good ole USA in a Flamed Pickup Truck
    towing a rusty ole 55 Chevy that has road trip written all over it.

What a blast! I would do it again in a heartbeat
    When life hands you lemons, go get a ice cream cone!

I was just talking with dad..family trucking for 40 years or more.
    no mention of hot shots (using pickups as commercial haulers)
    Now with two pickups..
    added to the business name anyway.
    He has got some uses already.

A way to pay for your own way, if shipment is someone elses.

I'd go old school somehow, needing injection from 96 onward, finding manual transmissions at a minimum.. not so easy to find that combo is it.

anyway, a road trip sounds good to me too. I am tempted to take a screaming 80's subaru across the continent.
    Autumn is a better time with no a/c or much of a heater.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Of course you would!
      And I am not surprised you bought a new trailer..
      I looked quite some time and got very damn lucky buying mine for $1200. It was only licensed one term. (2 years)
      Owner claims he only hauled big hay bales.. 70c Model.(7,000#)
      Wish I had the $$$ and reason to make trips!

Comment

Sounds like a great trip! And I approve. If you feel like doing a search of the Forum you'll find our trip to Paso Robles, CA to Maggie Valley, NC (almost coast to coast) towing an Avanti back to maintain it's legacy as a LSR race car. Like your trip, one of the great and happy adventures of my life.

Dan

Comment

That picture is so full of awesome.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Good job Daddy-O - you should have bought the dinosaur too.

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
            X