Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomendation for a simple book. TH 400/475??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendation for a simple book. TH 400/475??

I would love to build a strong R-F tranny for the kid's derby car after 2 failed trannies from a vender that caters to the derby world.
    Since I only tore trannys apart for the aluminum.. I figure I should start with the basics.. And slight beefing up..
    I love how Squirrel builds his tranny for the PLAN II... Wanna give up what book to look for to use?
    Quick shifting is pretty important.. Can't have a slow shifting one as you get pounded on while waiting for it to fo in gear
    Quick shifting also builds less heat

I figure I should learn basics before attempting to modify

there's only one book out there that I know of, by Ron Sessions, I think it's out of print. the factory shop manual will have all the rebuild stuff, but the other book explains things a lot better.

oh--I was wrong, there's another one out now by Cliff Ruggles, I have not read it.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Bob if I'm understanding what you're after you is a transmission that shifts fast from low gear to reverse. I've never seen a book with instructions on how to do that but with a bit of thought and testing I'm sure it could be done and remove the top two forward gears hydraulics.

The "Built" transmissions what type of transmission were they?

I'd start looking at a Powerglide, strong and easy to work on. Remove the operation of the valve body and look at maybe a lever in the cab to switch pressure between the low servo and the reverse clutch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0040.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	692.9 KB
ID:	1127735
      Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0041.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	712.6 KB
ID:	1127736
      Tim
      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

65RHDeer.. That looks interesting.. I saw something like that years ago..

Our built tranny was a TH 400,, had 2, neither finished. Even ran the reccomended cooler and hydraulic lines. The lines melted..

We always just looped the cooler lines with steel line about 1-1/2' long

Comment

If you go with a Powerglide you'd probably want to have about 2000rpm of stall in the converter, you'd also get a fair bit of speed out of the high ratio of low gear.

Of course as soon as you do that you're going to build heat in the thing so a cooler is going to be required.
          Tim
          Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Working...
          X