Change in Fastenal Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change in Fastenal Shipping

There's been a change in the Fastenal shipping system so I thought I'd pass this along. I'm shipping one of Mutt's old injection pumps to a guy in Colorado with no special deliver date required so Fastenal is perfect for this. Last year when I used their system I just took the box into the store and it was handled - though there was some confusion about how and how much to charge. Now you fill out an on-line form and they send back a quote. You print out the quote and take that to the store where they collect the money and handle the shipment from there. A note of caution: The system expects shipments of stuff by the pallet load (great if you're shipping an engine) so you have to be sure to let them know it's a boxed item if that's what you're shipping.

Here's the website address: www.fastenal.com/en/22/third-pa

You click the box at the bottom of the page and the form comes up.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; October 19, 2016, 07:46 AM.

My local store wants even a box to be strapped to a pallet. Just easier to fit into their logistic pattern that way.

The quoting online process was quick and easy a few weeks ago.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Turns out that Fastenal was NOT, in this case, cheap. USPS was less than 1/2 and time is not of the essence so it's off in a red, white, and blue truck. I didn't think to check Greyhound but I don't know where the terminal is in town and I wanted to get on with it. Maybe next time......

Dan

Comment

Dan,Greyhound Package Express is at
        CAPE FEAR PUBLIC TRANSIT
        505 CANDO ST
        Wilmington, North Carolina28405
        (910) 791-8040

GPX is great for oversize packages where UPS/FEDEX have a $55 oversize charge.
        Max dimensions for GPX are 82x47x30 and 100#
        I am in the shipping business and can ship a bicycle across the country in a 70x38x12 box for under $70. My oversize charge is about $8.00
        UPS/FEDEX would charge about double that. With the big box I use I only pull the pedals and twist the handlebars. With UPS/FEDEX I would have to take off wheels
        pedals and handlebars. I ship a lot of bicycles.

Nick

Comment

Thanks Nick. I'll have to find Cando Street for my next shipment.

Dan

Comment

USPS flat rate box is very useful for lots of smallish car parts.

For the big stuff I've had pretty good luck with FedEx ground. For the really big stuff - since we are close to the Detroit Metro airport - we have lots of shipping companies near by, put whatever it is on a pallet in the back of the truck, they off load with a forklift, and off it goes. I've used R&L, Old Dominion, and a few others. Also if you pick up big items at the local freight depot instead of requiring residential (Tommy lift) drop off - it usually saves at least $75.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
            X