Hand Signals on a Road Course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Signals on a Road Course

The real truth is, when you go to a road course for a track day, there will be lots of people there. There are a whole lot of fancy cars, some of them fast and some folks completely know how to drive fast cars fast. But not everybody

And there will be other folks there in rookie class just trying to have fun, where I started just like everybody else, the bucket list thing. If you get addicted to it and do it over and over again enough again times you get to drive by yourself. And they may even let you take a passenger with you to enjoy the thrill. The bunch we run with, the classification I'm in according to skill and experience, I'm allowed to carry a passenger after lunch. The theory is, in the morning everybody's jittery and pumped up being at the track, let's get that worked out and THEN you can take a passenger. Safety first, I understand that.

I'm on a weekend here, enjoying the photos and videos from the most recent track track run and also from the Gearhead Inn, whatta blast. I'm one to do something and photo or video it, and then I can enjoy it for a long time until we go and do something else. A backlog of fun, look what we did!

The race track, dang that's fun. I know the majority of folks here on BS are into drag racing but we're into road courses. This video ... there are things you do to communicate with your hands on the track. It's a given when you have any amount of experience on tracks that you are always looking ahead. You look way past the car in front of you and you look THROUGH the car in front of you. Look at the driver if you are close to that car. All of those things.

Here's where I was stuck in traffic, all lined up and going as slow as the car up front was going. This was a morning run, Unit was not in the other seat. Not every day, not every run on a road course is a fantasy run. They put too many cars on the track to begin with, and where you get situated in the pack it's a roll of the dice. Stuck in a line is like driving around downtown, it feels like. Everybody's in the same boat that way.

This is one of those, video, I tapped the mirror at 10:42. Much faster car behind me. That means, I see you behind me, you can go by at the next opportunity. I later moved over, but he didn't take it, he didn't want it right then, maybe talking on his cell phone, not noticing. Later I stuck my arm out pointing and he went by. It's like life in general. On a road course, you either pass or get passed, eventually.

This is hotrodding, but it's boring, stuck in line. Forward to 10:42, and .... well, it's still boring then. Too many cars on the track.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Pretty sure the 1 finger salute is considered bad form. But then, I haven't had to signal anyone to pass me on an LSR track - yet.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
      Pretty sure the 1 finger salute is considered bad form. But then, I haven't had to signal anyone to pass me on an LSR track - yet.

Dan
      The coolest thing about the road course track day experience, after the run we all stand around in the paddock area and talk about it. It's almost like the Bangshift family. One guy came up to me and said he was holding us all up because he wanted to run nose-to-tail for some laps with his dad in another car. Yeah, I get overgeared wanting to go.

Track days are fun as could be. Getting caught in a line of traffic on a track day is four thousand times better than any day at work. And maybe a hundred times better than sitting at home doing nothing, but that's fun, too.
      Last edited by pdub; October 21, 2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I think you should consider trying to drive a road racing kart in one of the many classes the World Karting Association offers for a real thrill !!!!

Being a 1/2" to 3/4" off the ground at speeds from 75 mph to well over 125 mph might really get your blood pumping !!!!

Kart racing is the best form of racing without really getting into the big bucks of cars.

Jim Hill

Comment

Dan
          Dan, this is all in fun, and it's ALL fun, but I passed you in the staging area at the Ohio Mile one time. Remember that? HAHAHhAHAHAHAH!!!

EDIT: I DO have video! HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!
          Last edited by pdub; October 22, 2016, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Yep, but NOT on the track! And no hand signals were needed, at least from me. Live and learn.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; October 22, 2016, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Yep, but NOT on the track! And no hand signals were needed, at least from me. Live and learn.

Dan
              HAHAHAHHAAH!!!!!!!!!! That was a life moment. I've gotta do it (post it again), I hope you forgive me, I love you Man. I always will. HAHAHAAHAH!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X