News From My Old Stomping Grounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News From My Old Stomping Grounds

We used to live in Lancaster before moving over here. A bunch of us used to fly R/C airplanes in the field ouside of Kershaw where they eventually built the Carolina Motorsports Park. My great friend and Training counterpart at the mill in SC sent me this, email entitled, "You Will Love This."

The third from the last sentence in the story, "...Performance Driving SCHOOL.....", I sure hope we was trying to get there in time to TEACH it!

Go directly to jail at 137 mph
    -AA+A

Man in Mustang flashes from Lancaster to Kershaw in 7 minutes
    By Greg Summers
    Friday, October 21, 2016 at 2:00 am (Updated: October 21, 2:00 am) A Fort Mill man in a muscular Mustang traversed 16 miles between Lancaster and Kershaw in seven minutes Sunday morning before being arrested.
    Do the math. That’s averaging 137 mph.
    Robert William Sherengo, 61, was charged with driving 100 mph in a 55-mph zone by the Lancaster County Sheriff’s Office. The Lancaster Police Department charged him with failure to stop for blue lights and reckless driving.
    Deputies finally got him to stop on North Matson Street in Kershaw. His green 2013 Ford Boss 302 Mustang bore the S.C. license plate BOSSMAN. He was wearing an auto-racing suit.
    Sherengo told deputies he was speeding because he was late for a driver’s meeting at Carolina Motorsports Park.
    “We are glad Mr. Sherengo stopped and cooperated with our deputies when he stopped,” said sheriff’s spokesman Doug Barfield. “He was going so fast that nobody could’ve gotten turned around on him without going outrageous speeds, which we are not going to do under those circumstances.”
    Lancaster city police officer Tim Witherspoon first saw Sherengo speeding through the intersection of S.C. 9 Bypass East and Clinton Avenue near McDonald’s about 7:31 a.m.
    A Lancaster Police Department incident report said Sherengo passed Witherspoon’s marked police car going a least 100 mph in a 45-mph zone. Witherspoon hit the blue lights and chased the Mustang to the Pageland Highway overpass, but lost sight of it there.
    Witherspoon alerted county deputies to be on the lookout for the car, which was headed south toward Heath Springs. The S.C. Highway Patrol was also notified.
    A deputy patrolling on Kershaw Camden Highway in the Elgin community saw the Mustang flash past, but did not have a radar unit to record the speed.
    At 7:38 a.m., Deputy Christopher Williams clocked the Mustang at 100 in a 55-mph zone on Kershaw Camden Highway near the entrance to Andrew Jackson High School.
    Williams turned around to follow the car but didn’t activate his blue lights for safety reasons.
    “I did not have any intention of traveling excess speeds faster than the Mustang was doing so I could catch up to it,” Williams wrote in the incident report.
    Williams also radioed two county deputies and the Kershaw County Sheriff’s Office to watch for the car, the report said.
    The driver slowed down when he veered right onto North Matson Street, but was still speeding. Sheriff’s Deputy Andrew Thomas, who was also on North Matson, turned his blue lights on and the Mustang finally pulled over near the Richland Street intersection.
    Williams, who clocked Sherengo near the high school entrance, arrived and showed Thomas the locked radar display in his police car. Sherengo, the report said, walked over to see the radar display, too.
    The report said Sherengo “advised deputies that he had just left Fort Mill and was late for a driver’s meeting at Carolina Motorsports Park,” which is about 4 miles south of Kershaw on U.S. 521.
    Built in 1998 at the site of a World War II pilot training base, Carolina Motorsports Park is a 2.2-mile, 14-turn road course. The track hosts events sanctioned by several racing organizations, including the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) and the National Auto Sports Association (NASA). The track is also leased by NASCAR and Champ Car teams for testing and hosts several driving schools.
    According to its website, the road course hosted the 16th Annual Carolina Regional Mustang Club Performance Driving School on Oct. 15-16.
    Sherengo was arrested, handcuffed and searched.
    The report said a Sherengo admitted his guilt, apologized and told deputies that “he was running late for a high performance driving school event at the motorsports park” and “claimed to have never seen the law enforcement officer he passed.”
    He was taken to the Lancaster County Detention Center, booked and jailed.
    He was released Monday after posting bonds totaling $1,852.50.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Soon as he gets out, P - you need to get him signed up on BangShift.... Maybe you could drive over there and visit him in jail, extend the hand of BS friendship, as it were?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Soon as he gets out, P - you need to get him signed up on BangShift.... Maybe you could drive over there and visit him in jail, extend the hand of BS friendship, as it were?
      That's not the first legendary speed tale to come from that area.

WAY way way back in the day, before textiles went overseas and to Mexico, the big thing was Springs Industries. They had headquarters in Fort Mill, where the guy in the story above started his one-man Cannonball Run. So the CEO (I hope I have the job title right), Mister Springs HIMSELF bought the first production Corvette ever sold, or so the legend goes.

And so the legend further goes, he was going from Fort Mill to Camden to visit another Springs mill. And he got pulled over doing some kind of land speed speed thing in Rock Hill. And so the legend goes, a Rock Hill cop got him pulled over (all the roads were two-lane back then, some of them still dirt roads) and the cop gave him a speeding ticket for $15, a huge fine at the time. And so the legend goes, Mister Springs pulled out $30 and said, "I'll be coming back through here in a few hours, don't bother to stop me again."

Comment

1852 dollars.
        that is bad news.

Hardly an opinion, I got away being that stupid...
        but it was rural big highway. No traffic.

he wouldn't get banned from bangshift, I could guess.
        average at 137.
        this means faster where he could, slower when he couldn't.

interesting details we may never know.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post

interesting details we may never know.
          It's for sure 16 miles between Lancaster and Kershaw. Lived there, done that.

7 minutes between, I haven't studied the story and done the math as the writer suggests early on...

Between Lancaster and Kershaw on US521 is Heath Springs, an intersection at best with buildings and people milling around in the street and a bit of a curve at one point if I remember correctly, which I may very well not remember correctly. To come through THERE going a hundred or more, no, that's just bad judgement. I nearly don't believe the whole thing except it came from a police report so I guess it must have happened.

Comment

Yeah , the cops never embellish a story . Like for instance they know he wasn't running from them , they weren't close enough for him to know they were pursuing him but you know part of that 1800 is for fleeing.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S .
              I don't want anyone to think I'm anti cops . I don't agree with all their tactics and some of them bullyinging folks but, without them it would be absolute anarchy. If I'd pulled him over ,yep .......speeding and wreakless driving . Then the next jurisdiction that clocked him could do the same thing . Yeah , we probably would have it up to 1800 bucks . But on the bright side this is just bond . He could plead innocent and be found not guilty .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                P.S .
                But on the bright side this is just bond . .
                But on the dark side I believe "bond" to be released in SC is typically 10% of the actual "bail amount," which could mean they trumped up about $18,500 worth of trouble on him in actual fines and pissedivity surcharges. I wonder if they impounded his car.

Comment

I'm not familiar at all with the area but if he was doing any of the 100 or so in a 40 he's lucky some ticked of parent doesn't hunt him down . I remember the time I did 140 on a 3 lane each way interstate. 55 mph speed zone at 11pm . Seriously, I should have been horse whipped . And I only almost killed one person , me .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                  X