What does "Good" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does "Good" mean?

So we all come from different walks of life, different upbringings, different states, cities, careers, political views, religions, cars, families, etc etc...

Ive been running stuff through my head lately, which is never a good idea, but I cant get myself a solid answer. What makes a person good? What is the definition of good these days? Is it working hard? Is it living within your means? Is it being nice to people and not being an A-hole?

Ive been asking myself a lot lately... Am I good? Sure I do good things, but does that make me a good person? They always say nice guys finish last, which Ive experienced quite a bit in my life, been dead last many a time. Ive seen some pretty terrible sh!tty people, those slimy MFers who look good at face value, fare much better in life. And Ive seen some of the nicest people in the world do the same. Ive also witnessed the opposite, where their legs are cut from under them. I just question where I fall on the spectrum.

Have any of you ever questioned yourself with the same question?

Dont usually try to get so deep and metaphysical, but just had a lot on the old brain lately.
    Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

We don't discuss politics or religion here, so you're trying to do both in one shot?

Do you treat others as you'd want to be treated? I think that sums it up.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

no sense of time ahead..
      not good.
      don't pull others into it.

you wouldn't think much of what was good if you are having a good day.

I still need to get away, every place I go...

..and legs cut from underneath could be a war hero.
      pearly whites posture and a DJ smooth voice is for fairy talers.

I never judge anything anymore, until I am forced to.

I help a veteran, simply because he is a neighbor. Don't know if he is good or bad.. but he is a lonely old man. Time running out. I leave it beyond me.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        We don't discuss politics or religion here, so you're trying to do both in one shot?

Do you treat others as you'd want to be treated? I think that sums it up.

I was talking to someone last Sunday (I don't do church on Sunday) and we were going over the way people are from various areas of the country.

For example, saying someone is special in Seattle has a far different meaning then it would in Atlanta. If you're from NY, you expect the other person is going to do their best to take advantage of you but if you're from California; you think the guy from NY is a thief. Point is, good is either universal or regional - if it's regional then good doesn't mean the same thing in Arizona as it does in Boston.

And let's not leave Seattle out of this love fest - in Seattle if they say "yes" to your face, it does not mean the same thing as signing a contract. Matter of fact, they only say yes because they're going to stab you in the back later.
        Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 25, 2016, 09:59 AM.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Welcome to real life.

It's not "treat others as you expect to be treated".

My fabulous web page

Comment

I take me out of it. My mantra (which I know I'm not perfect) is with God as the judge of my actions... if I judge my own actions, then I'm already going to fail -

I can even illustrate:

Some people cut themselves and get feel pleasure from it - does that mean that if I cut myself, I should cut you too? after all, it feels good to me. Or a more relevant example, I am fixing a Fiat because it gives me pleasure; should I force everyone to own Fiats because of the pleasure they create?
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; October 25, 2016, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
              Have any of you ever questioned yourself with the same question?
              Yup. Then I mix a nice Lady Bligh and Cherry Cola, and head for the shop to give the old brain something tangible to ponder on.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Yup. Then I mix a nice Lady Bligh and Cherry Cola, and head for the shop to give the old brain something tangible to ponder on.

all the best decisions are made on alcohol.

Comment

I can't bring myself to base my life on what a character in some old stories might think of my actions.

I'm in awe of folks who can.
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Very close to the same here, except Bacardi Oakheart with Dr. Pepper Cherry!🙌
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

No alcohol here. I've seen it mess up too many lives.

But to the point - I think the major breakthru for me was deciding that the meaning of life is to have a good time but don't hurt others (though it sometimes happens by accident). If you DO hurt someone, apologize to their face and try to put it behind you though it can be tough to forgive yourself.

And the most significant act of becoming truly adult is learning not to care. Notice I didn't say "learn to be uncaring" - indeed, quite the opposite. All we can do is work to live a decent life and if someone doesn't like you, you're not in charge of that. So don't care - though it's difficult.

Dan

Comment

A good person does not initiate force against others, does not bring harm to others, does not use trickery or deceit to influence others or steal. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (unless you are a masochist) Love one another. Help those in need, but mind your own business too.
                        Last edited by Hemi Joel; October 25, 2016, 01:18 PM.

Comment

That's a complicated one, but from my experience at work many years ago, if the person you absolutely hate and detest more than anyone in the world stands around in front of other people when you're not even around and speaks highly of you for absolutely no reason at all, you must have done something right in general. Even if you did it all by accident. EDIT: More exactly if you did whatever it was in general without thinking about it.
                          Last edited by pdub; October 25, 2016, 01:39 PM.
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

If you feel "Good" about yourself everything else falls into place.
                            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

very good points. I was just curious of others view points.

I didnt realize religion wasnt discussed here, missed that small caveat lol
                              Hellinor- 2005 Mustang GT-Bolt ons, in need of a turbo

War Wagon- 1966 Bel Air Wagon-355 Crate motor, 700r4, flies pretty good for a brick...

Comment

Working...
                              X