What does "Good" mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shelty View Post
    very good points. I was just curious of others view points.

I didnt realize religion wasnt discussed here, missed that small caveat lol
    2 things forbidden... Religion and politics.
    Good words to live by in life too..

Good... Are you loved... Do you love unconditionally, wife, children?
    Can you sleep at night after a shift wearing your shield?
    Being "good" sometimes means following the beat of your own drum.... Many on here. But 2 I respect, Aaron (SBG) Jim (Squirrel ) because they build what they want/like..everybody else's opinion be damned.. I really cannot name all I respect on this little thread.

I think I am "good". But I know there are those who hate me.. That is ok as those who like, respect, love me trumps all
    There is so little time here to worry about those who do not like you.. Trust me..there are those who don't like you, I am not one.

There are many things you can-cannot do Live life to the fullest is one you can do.. Sometimes you get frustrated ie: your wagon not "done" or "driveable". It will be!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

2 things forbidden... Religion and politics.
      Good words to live by in life too..

!
      And why the world is the way it is, and why The land of the free not so free anymore...

I don't get it as a conversation over Ford vs Chevy can get as heated and most likely even more so..
      But if it is political and could harm the car hobby or a form of racing, then it gets a pass..

Comment

It is to keep personal attacks to a minimum..
        Some feel very strongly..

When legistation effects the car hobby, then we talk..

Comment

I think I can define "good" w/o religion, politics, morality. Fits in with good, normal, bad. This is really bottom-line basic-basic so excuse the use of example and some over-simplification.

Out of all the things possible I am choosing to make the example, ten people on earth, winter shelter, and what we call "normal". Sound too weird? Read on.

---------------------

Say there are only ten people in the whole world, that's how it is and we call that "normal". Food is around, it's Summertime.

Five of these people have the random idea to build shelters, no particular reasons except their own. The other five put their energy elsewhere instead, or do nothing...we're not judging them on that. But...it happens that winter comes. It's a rough go for everybody, but the ones who don't have shelters flat freeze-to-death because of that. Next springtime there are only five people left, the other five no longer exist and are not a factor on earth. It's predictable, it would happen year-after-year; and we can call those who remain the new "normal" and that's how it is now. So:

"Normal" means, what survives.

Next, out of those five...most remain "normal", but a couple become rebellious, have their own ideas or just prefer alternatives. One person's alternative for living includes among other things not building a shelter the next year. Perhaps we could admire his independence and desire to live life his own way or whatever or maybe he's just a weak-ass bum. Next springtime finds him gone-froze-to-death and like ones before and no longer a factor, in the best case he's a legend but at the bottom line dead is dead. Afterwards, those with a memory can point out a pattern of choices that led to his not surviving, his end result being negative. They remain, they are therefore what is normal and are going to have to choose to call that other behavior "bad".

"Bad" means, not oriented toward being a survivor or being less-than "normal".

Remember there were two rebels, who wished to stray from what was at that point the normal? The other rebel gets into shelters. He builds twice the shelter he needs, in-fact causing a surplus. So much so that he can afford to share or use his surplus in trade, and instead of the whole group spending their winter at the edge of starvation and just maintaining numbers they all have the comfort and excess energy to be engaging in other industry as well as reproductive activity and soon there will be more than the original ten people again, living in an improving manner. Looking back, the survivors will come to call his behavior as "good".

"Good" means, enhancing survival or being better-than "normal".

Make sense? ***

Of-course we all have the range of behaviors, it's a big wide challenging world and the above can certainly be extrapolated into morality issues, ever-more-complex. We all are our own "normal" (it's neither a compliment nor a put-down), but we do have a chance to look at who we are, understand that we both have a responsibility toward ourselves and (like-it-or-not) are part of a community, and can decide whether we want to put our time on earth into enhancing the experience of survival for ourselves and our community or detract from it. The realities of good and bad are, in the real world, more complex than just how we "feel about ourselves" or if we believe in a God or not. One thing for sure, we can start with normal and add good and make that the new normal and it will go on forever, but if we start with whatever normal and keep adding bad, eventually there is loss and oblivion.

To bring it 'way, 'way forward and put it in a very particular manner into the internet forums world, doing things like --no matter what your own reasons may be-- building an amazing project or sharing photos and stories/commentary which interest and inspire others enhances survival. . Just cruisin' along, having a little of this and a little of that, is normal and fine. Bad...nnn, shall not be throwing stones out of my little glass house, I suppose...

***Some of that sounds harsh and would be adjusted for depending on whether a community is having surpluses in general to be able to afford to do so but I believe it's the basic reality. What about an individual making choices that enhance his survival at the expense of others, i.e. predatory behavior which we know will eventually occur just due to human nature? Aberration/criminal, the community in general has to accept the expense of laws, enforcement and incarceration rather than ongoing direct losses to those individuals. Just one of the adjustments to be made as a society progresses on but that's another subject...

So there it is, my belief about what is good presented as a public service (ha!). Not looking for an argument, you can PM me if you think I'm full-of-it.
          Last edited by Loren; October 26, 2016, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Loren - Of COURSE you're full of it. And so am I and all the rest of us mortals - it's part of what makes us mortal. But your thoughts are well structured and meaningful.

Dan

Comment

Working...
            X