• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bob hoover - ww2 pilot, dead at 94

one of the greats.
    possibly the greatest.

Bob Hoover - dead at 94

During World War II, while based in North Africa and southern Europe, Hoover flew 58 missions as a fighter pilot with the Army Air Forces. On his 59th, on Feb. 9, 1944, he was shot down off the coast of southern France and was plucked from the sea by a German patrol boat.

He spent 16 months in a German prison camp before he and a fellow American climbed the fence and fled into the nearby woods. With the war coming to an end, German civilians were more cooperative, and a farmwoman gave Hoover and his fellow escapee a gun.

"She said it would do us a lot more good than it did her, and she was right," Hoover later told the Los Angeles Daily News.
    He and his friend came upon a field with hundreds of damaged German warplanes. Hoover found one that had a full gas tank.
    When a German mechanic approached, Hoover's friend pulled the gun on him.

"We told him unless he could get us airborne fast, we were going to kill him," Hoover recalled years later.
    The German plane's engine started, but Hoover's buddy refused to get aboard, vowing never to fly in another airplane. Instead, he took his chances on foot - and years later was reunited with Hoover.

The stolen plane had a German cross painted on the side, and Hoover was fearful of being attacked by Allied forces as he flew along the coast of Germany toward the Netherlands.

"I didn't have any maps or charts," he said in a 2007 interview with the publication Airport Journals. "I knew that if I turned west and followed the shoreline, I would be safe when I saw windmills."

He landed in a field and was quickly surrounded by Dutch farmers with pitchforks. Soon afterward, a British army truck rolled up, and Hoover was taken to safety.
    In his book, Hoover wrote, "Hell, I would fly an old Dodge truck if they put wings on the side."
    of course, he knew chuck yeager.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 26, 2016, 05:54 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

We're losing all of the WWII heroes. Isn't it wonderful that we're losing at least some of them to old age?

Dream On...... (I'm sure he was a dreamer)

Dan

Comment

Bob Hoover is a legend. He had more flying skill in his little finger than I will ever have in my whole body. RIP Bob.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

it is of men.. but it rubbed off on women too.

some of the stories from any realm, drag racing, trucking.
        anything with a machine.

I looked up one day, we were crabbing at an angle..cabover truck in the 80s. Snowing.. somewhere near medeay maine I presume.
        as if in slow motion I looked over at dad, his face was much older than I remember.

"get in the bunk, put the seat belt on."

he was feeling the whole length of the truck back to straight.
        that is a pilot every flight, I witnessed it as a crew chief.

I will always feel honored to know those heroes really exist.

man and machines...
        and enemies.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

His like will not pass this way again.
          Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Rest easy Bob !

Comment

All the more reason to thank a vet every day... their sacrifices don't just occur on holidays...RIP Bob!
              Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg~c200.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	1128893
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
              X