Hey Ed - The Plane Burned Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Ed - The Plane Burned Up

I defer to our resident BS jet pilot for this one. So, the plane caught on fire, just from the video, I've gotta think this thing is melted scrap, all aboard got away. And they got put on another commercial flight. No worries, that one burned up, we've got you another one for you to ride on. Gosh I'm glad I don't have to fly commercial anymore. I know this is a mighty mighty rare event, but.....gyah.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fir...z&ocid=U142DHP
    Last edited by pdub; October 28, 2016, 04:18 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Well that's butt ugly. Couldn't really tell what the source was; an engine or something in the fuselage. At one point it looks like maybe the engine is flaming, but not a good angle with all the smoke to tell for sure. Guess the media will fill us in if they can squeeze some news into the election coverage...........
    Last edited by oletrux4evr; October 28, 2016, 04:32 PM.
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The report says that it's a tar far (sorry - I slipped into Southern but I bet PW got it). Tires make a heck of a smoke signal when they catch fire. But like Ed said, it'll be interesting to see if the news outlets will do their jobs and fill us in on what really happened.

Dan

Comment

I got it too.....I've spent lots of time in the South........the report I saw said it was an aborted takeoff. I'm a little skeptical about a tire fire then........more likely during landing (due to hot brakes), but it could be.........maybe we'll see.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
          I got it too.....I've spent lots of time in the South........the report I saw said it was an aborted takeoff. I'm a little skeptical about a tire fire then........more likely during landing (due to hot brakes), but it could be.........maybe we'll see.
          Hey, it's in the media so we have to believe it, or at least that's all we have to go on.
          Last edited by pdub; October 28, 2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            The report says that it's a tar far (sorry - I slipped into Southern but I bet PW got it). Tires make a heck of a smoke signal when they catch fire. But like Ed said, it'll be interesting to see if the news outlets will do their jobs and fill us in on what really happened.

Dan
            I agree, that is ugly.
            hot brakes, very metallic, like cast iron in it, and tire fire..

as a crew chief on the scariest flying junk known to man...
            we seriously were taught the different colors.
            even wires have some.
            magnesium, titanium, aluminum, irons.. copper, rubbers, plastics, jp4, jp8.. and paints.

any metal burning is more than minor injuries. I hope those passengers keep a case open and sign nothing.

..and pdub.
            never ask a pilot about a mishap.
            He'll hunt down a crew chief for answers.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm thinking....and that's never a good thing, it never is. It can't come out very well..

I think I flew on commercial flights about 300 takeoffs and landings back then for 8 years when I was forced to, and that's not much of a frequent flyer record. It was do that or not have a job. But I always had the window seat if I could. I loved watching the ground and the clouds go by. That was the best part. Never mind the work I was going to do, never mind the wanting to be home on the return leg.

Flying. I was just basically flying (riding the big winged bus) to work and back, same place most of the time. Birmingham. The lady at the rental car counter at the airport knew me by name. Mister Forrest, we DO have a Mustang for you this week. The 2005 fleet model. 6-cylinder.

One of my favorite things from all of that was a 40 mph true crosswind landing just before a thunderstorm hit the airport in Birmingham. Seconds before it hit the airport. I'm in the window seat...that was a good pilot. He was crabbing that thing in there, just before the plane touched the pavement I'm looking out the window in seat 3A and could see the entire length of the runway coming at us, the plane was sideways. The pilot nailed it, we survived.

Riding on an airplane sucks. Being the pilot would be fun. Same thing with cars, I want to be the one driving.

Comment

Latest report on the Intewebs is that the right engine came apart, a rare failure. Amazing that all were OK.

Dan

Comment

exceedingly rare.... lol
                  There was another plane that turned to cinders in Florida yesterday as well.... if you ordered something delivered by FedEx, there's a delivery exception you may need to know about
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Bad things happen in threes.... there was a 3rd plane fire in Europe yesterday.
                    Now we're good for awhile.
                    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Nothing like seeing two aircraft roasting on the tarmac a day before you gotta hop a flight to tighten the ol' sphincter up some.
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                        Bad things happen in threes.... there was a 3rd plane fire in Europe yesterday.
                        Now we're good for awhile.

I don't know if it works that way - I thought it required 'same country' to be valid.

McSquatch - I fear for you buddy, hair burns pretty easily
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                        X