The Tiny House Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tiny House Syndrome

WHY is the media trying to push the tiny house thing? Try as they may, that's not alluring. And I'm sure it's fascinating and suiting to some folks, maybe one in 500K people, but, really?

So where do we put the pool table in the tiny house? In the tiny house, the cat doesn't even have any private space to go to, as cats do. And we don't even have enough space here to stretch out and work on Red in the garage. Tiny house? I don't think so. The tiny house is somewhat like a tent with solid walls, that's just weird. For a night, maybe, for a lifetime, no.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Affordability origionally.
    Now convienence (sp?) for those never home..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Affordability origionally.
      Now convienence (sp?) for those never home..
      So if you're never home (I've been like that before), why do you even NEED a home at all?

Comment

I had thought of it more than once.

was trying to find a picture of a tiny camp us kids built in the 80s.
        that became a tiny house trend.

I met a viet nam vet who lived in a tiny house.
        "one log is 12 hours sometimes" little woodstove.

Being in public housing, a goal to get healthy or sustain problems..
        it all mixes in like a suicidal petri dish...these big budget buildings with a facade of looking strong and clean.

the little house just might be a future.

when ones own fuse box has its own ground and its own air through a window, and its own odors unmistakable or easy to blame on someone else...
        and the toilet...

your poop, your pipe.

I remember a colonel who said I was too big for a kc135.
        it is almost hysteria to live where I am.

my cracking bones could rumble a floor, a burp or fart the same.
        let my feet hang off the end of the queen bed and hope it doesn't bother 3 neighbors down.

the worst is wannabe alpha male syndromes in this building...
        Last edited by Barry Donovan; October 30, 2016, 04:57 PM.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

So if you're never home (I've been like that before), why do you even NEED a home at all?
          Place to call home, get meals, get sleep, bath, shit... List quite long.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Place to call home, get meals, get sleep, bath, shit... List quite long.
            Motel, airport, rental car, etc, I'm sure glad I got over all of that. 8 years was enough. TOO much.

Comment

Be different if the motel, rental car and airport were your own...

Comment

I thought it was obvious........the "media" propaganda machine wants us to all get used to the ideal of "less".

Brave new world and all.

I can't be the only one to see these things?
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Where do you put these things . I don't think you could get the permits to put one on a lot anywhere within 60 miles of Indy . My idea of a tiny house would be a 20'×20' space in the corner of a 40'×60 polebarn .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

So I should rent out the house and move into a garden shed, right? (NOT!!!)

I DO agree that many folks have way more house than they need. Right over our back fence there is an infestation of mini-mansions built out of more or less the same ticky-tack as our house but at twice the money. Most feature brick ticky-tack but ticky-tack nonetheless. Most of those homes appear to be occupied by 1-3 people. Most of the homes on our circle are occupied by 1-3 people. Our house is probably the biggest home on the circle at 2,000 sq. feet. The ones over the fence look to be more or less 5,000 sq. feet. You doing the math? It's pretty wasteful to build, maintain, and heat and cool that much building to house so few people. Heck, our place is arguably more than we need but we DO need a spot for a grand piano (and yes, it gets played every day).

Don't get me wrong - if folks can afford so much house and that's where they choose to put their money that's their choice. But I suspect their kids are saying "why so much house at so much expense??!!"

Dan

Comment

although i am sure there is much about this that i miss ( not having cable/sat) but so a tiny house.. they have been building them for years... they just have called them campers!

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I DO agree that many folks have way more house than they need.
                        So after moving, from a house that is way more than I need, I went and bought a bigger house
                        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

So after moving, from a house that is way more than I need, I went and bought a bigger house
                          I did the same thing but I got a shop in the deal. Sometimes when I drive down the road I look at the 1,000 square foot houses and think maybe I should have gotten one of those.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

Define need. That house apparently netted a wife.......sounds like progress to me?

Last edited by STINEY; October 31, 2016, 09:30 AM.
                            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Go look at a n.y. apartment... these things (sheds) are roomy..
                              This is nothing more than a new generation not wanting the same baggage as the older same thing..
                              Nothing more than a mobil home.. or in the cases of them using an old school bus ,an r/v.
                              Many watched their family get stuck in a home they could not sell to move to a job after loosing their old one..
                              This allows them to be able to move to the job if needed..
                              Others rather see the country/world and invest in memories than a house..Some don't want to wait till they are old to travel.
                              If this was a thing when I was younger,, I'd have had one beside a big by huge shop..
                              Many can't see it.. I'd never raise a family in one.. but
                              I was single a long time, And owned a home.. bathroom , kitchen and bedroom was all I used, and that is if you call nuking food using the kitchen. If I wasn't at work I was in garage, working on my hobby.. So I could see one parked beside a shop..

Comment

Working...
                              X