One thing after another.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing after another.

Earlier this week, we got my $400 F150 squared away to tow a trailer, new springs, new shocks, trailer brake control etc. The spring shop suggested a spring that they use, a 3/4 ton spring with eyelets and width to fit in a 1/2 ton truck. We put them in, and the truck sat really high in the rear, (I know it will settle some) so I ordered some springs for the front, 2 inch taller than stock, and then the shocks were too short. Bought new shocks, and now it seems okay. With the trailer on it, and a car loaded, it sits level, which is what I hoped for. The springs were so shot that when we put an AOD trans in the back of the bed the springs went down until the auxillary leafs hit the stops.

I finished the heads for Greg's Mustang and he bolted everything back on. Last night I went to do the valve adjustment, and while running the car, coolant is coming out from under it. The freeze plug on the back of the head started leaking. He was disgusted with the car and his bike that he has fighting with and decided to call it a night. I stayed and decided to see what I could do with it. There's absolutely no room to change it on the car (351W in a Fox body) so I pulled everything apart and took head back off. Have to put a plug in it today and put it back together tomorrow.

Tonight after work we're pulling the trans out of my '69 Mustang to put a convertor seal in it. It's leaking so bad the fluid just runs right out. That should be the only thing to do on that car, but we'll see.

Both of these Mustangs are headed for Musclepalooza on Sunday. Will we make it? Seems like everything is working against us.

Re: One thing after another.

Your story reminds me of something that happened to my dad when I was a kid.

He was doing "just a head rebuilt/cam swap" on our Hallet flat bottom jet. But as with anything, the project started in winter but the night before we left (July 4th weekend) the boat still wasn't done (the heads were still in the nice plastic bags). So he worked on the boat until 1 am; but not being done just hitched it up and figured he'd get it done when we went to Trinity Lake (N. Cal - we lived in Portland).

He did get it running, but in the excitement forgot to tighten one of the rocker "T"s. The boat pulled away from shore quite strongly, but at about 25 yards sounded hurt; and by 50 yards didn't run. Later investigation would show a spun bearing due to oil starvation.

Moral, hurry - but take your time.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

There's a positive spin in there. The converter seal in your '69 makes it very convenient to flush fluid without the need for an expensive apparatus. :P

Good luck. I hope that both cars make it to Musclepalooza on Sunday.

Comment

Gee Andy, you seem to have the darnedest luck (or lack thereof) !!
        :P

Comment

I feel your pain - there seems to be a lot of this going around - hopefully it will sort out soon and we'll all be over this bump in the road.

here's mine lately:
          292 for 54 is already .060 over - need another block
          boat trans leak turned out to be the input shaft - anything else could have been fixed in the boat - we had to pull the trans... again
          truck oil leak turned out to be o rings under the turbo - not a fun job at all, decided to replace the fuel pump while I was in there - now the new fuel pump is leaking engine oil!!! F@_+#)$(@#_$()_@#$(@_#%(_*()&%)($*&)(@#*%&@#*(!!!
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
          X