show of hands--old school or new tech?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    yeah, carbs and points may be obsolete, but they still work. Which surprises a lot of folks!
    Like my 57..
    77 and 83 run carbs but HEI.. cat's meow...
    Have no problems with points..

Comment

Sorry but I take fuel injection over carbs any day of the week and twice on Sunday! Overdrive is great too, running 4.10 gears on the highway and turning 2K RPM instead of 3K! I like old cars but with modern convenience.

Comment

I have no problem with carbs, points, HEI, EFI, LS motors.

My problem is with all of the bullshit technology that's being crammed into every new car:
        • ABS brakes (I've always hated ABS)
        • Traction control
        • Push button 4wd
        • Rain sensing wipers
        • Back up sensors
        • Back up cameras
        • Information centers
        • Touch screen anything
        • Electric power steering
        • 18 speed transmission (A slight exaggeration but anything after 6 seems ridiculous)

Another problem I have is proven old tech that's been removed from cars:
        • Manual transmissions
        • Ignition keys
        • Manual windows & locks
        • Manual HVAC controls
        • A NO information center option
        • Door lock cylinders (some are hidden under a plastic cover)
        • Headlights & taillights that don't burn out every 6 months

My Jeep has the same taillight bulbs in it since 99 when it was new.
        I see many 2000's car with burned out headlights and taillights.
        Saw a 2016 Buick Encore with a taillight out the other day.
        A brand new car and the fuggin taillights out already, that's bullshit!

I like points and carbs. They're easy to diagnose, repair, and replace.
        EFI's fine too though, just have a scanner or a laptop handy to work on it.
        I like overdrive, it's nice cruisin at a respectable RPM sipping less fuel.
        I liked the TH350 in my Nova, but I didn't like screamin 3k on the freeway.
        I like BBC motors until I have to change one. They make my back ache..
        SBC's are great. They're cheap as chips with everyone running LS motors.

Anymore I just want a daily driver that doesn't have a damn computer screen in the dash.
        I want a toy car that burns rubber but not my wallet.
        I don't wanna lay on my back fixin stuff anymore.
        I'm gettin to old for that crap, unless it's a toy car...
        And a special toy car at that...

Comment

you know, people had this same type of discussion ( not on the internet tho!) in the early '50's when the OHV V-8's started to become popular......

FLATHEADS FOREVER!!!
          and the same type of thing when radial tires started becoming the norm....
          disc brakes?? what's wrong with 4 wheel drums....
          FM radio??? what's wrong with my AM??
          58 Plymouth Sport Suburban. 526 cubic inches of angry wedge! Pushbutton shifted 9 passenger killer!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
            you know, people had this same type of discussion ( not on the internet tho!) in the early '50's when the OHV V-8's started to become popular......

FLATHEADS FOREVER!!!
            and the same type of thing when radial tires started becoming the norm....
            disc brakes?? what's wrong with 4 wheel drums....
            FM radio??? what's wrong with my AM??
            that was my dad talking about his grandfather except it went:

Heat? Why would I buy a car with a heater? (once he had one, they all did from then on)
            Radio? Why would I buy a car with a radio? (Same story)

Hydraulic brakes? (well, if you live on the coast, that just means your brakes actually have a chance of working.)

The thing I miss about old stuff is it was easier to fix something you found in the trash... or more to the point, worth spending the time.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

For the cars that have to get people to work , I'd prefer cars with carbs and no computers or electric efi . Its not the case with me anymore . Every one of the 4 have efi . Only one has a computer running the trans . My toy , the 92 vette has efi and a double overdrive manual . I really love it . The efi is great when it works but it is a real pain for me to figure out when it acts up .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Driving a carbed 454 ... Realize how much I miss the tbi 90 suburban.. except The constant dying at long lights and hot days.. Never figured that out!
                Might put hand crank doors on the Suburban and see if I can figure out thart dying problem with a HEI and new carb..

Comment

[QUOTE=V12guy;n1133763] The OP may like carbs,and I'm guessing that he means quadra junks and Holley's.....QUOTE]

​actually I run edelbrock carbs--although the holleys
                  ​may make a bit more power, and the quadrajets get
                  ​better mileage, the edelbrocks are great for the
                  "jet it / set it / forget it" aspect. they drive great too.

​ driveability and reliability are
                  ​paramount to me in a real street car.

​I built my vette to DRIVE, not to constantly work on it.

and as also stated many times, I wasn't trying to start a war,
                  just wondering who ran what and WHY you run what you
                  ​do, the way you do....

Comment

Lets see... My magnum has a 5.7 hemi,and runs 13.5's all day long after driving it 1.5 hours to the track. I change the filters and oil. done.
                    My V12 car has 2 Carter side drafts on it, a PITA to adjust them lean enough...
                    My 1973 GTO is a numbers matching car, even the manual trans quadra junk. It does run like the typical quadra junk, and I got tired of screwing with it, and the car mostly sits. Been throwing the idea of putting a FItech system on it to aid in the drive-ability, and I'd probably drive it more again. (The car has a modified intake and NO heat cross over)
                    I know people say "You can make a quadrajunk run good" I know. And with unlimited time and $$ you can make a 345 IH engine "run good" too. If you know me, and the number of, and types of cars I come in contact with,
                    "Screwing" with some other old carb is the absolute last thing I wish to mess with, especially with my own junk.
                    YMMV
                    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

Comment

Like it and understand it? use it.

I agree new cars are getting "too smart" I think the perfect era of daily drivers is the 90's if you can find one in good shape, like my '91 F150. They tend to have enough modern convenience that you don't have to pop the hood, unstick the choke, spray ether at it and hook up the jump pack to get to work. Reasonable mileage, power brakes & steering, power windows, locks, cruise, AC and defrost that work (and still actuated with cables that work for decades and decades, not STOOPID plastic actuators!) and for those of us in states with stoopid insurance and registration fees - they are reasonable on both fronts.

I would love to drive old stuff every day - but, there can be a down side to that on busy freeways like I drive every week day..... like getting in a wreck with a car that still has the "spear of death" column, or driving 4 wheel drums when everyone around you has ABS and 4 wheel disc, that can turn out badly.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

^^^ yep. My 1998 Durango is about as technologically advanced as I really want in a daily driver. Touch screens, 42 airbags, back-up cameras, self-parking, drive by wire, blah blah blah are all stuff that really needs to go back to luxury cars only. Feature creep just makes cars that should be affordable, ridiculously expensive to buy, maintain and insure.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
                          ^^^ yep. My 1998 Durango is about as technologically advanced as I really want in a daily driver. Touch screens, 42 airbags, back-up cameras, self-parking, drive by wire, blah blah blah are all stuff that really needs to go back to luxury cars only. Feature creep just makes cars that should be affordable, ridiculously expensive to buy, maintain and insure.
                          I kinda like the tech in my new daily driver. Two turbochargers. 23 mpg showing on the lie-o-meter but I don't know. I've only put 600 miles on the first tank and it's at 1/4 tank. Barked the tires when I stomped on it at 25 mph. Huge trunk. RWD, Good stereo, comfy, and drives like it's half the size it is. Boring as hell - and exactly what I want for driving to some place I am not all that excited about going to anyway.

24k isn't all that bad for a 325 hp RWD that gets over 20mpg and sadly, all the electric windows and blue tooth made it cheaper than a work truck. I traded the backup camera for an electronic locker. I'm not all that interested in a picture of where I've been.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
                            The OP may like carbs,and I'm guessing that he means quadra junks and Holley's.

neither. i run edelbrocks just because they have been very reliable.
                            im sure i could get a bit more power out of an 850 dp holley, but...
                            i like the "jet it/set it/forget it" aspect. kinda why i stick with hydro
                            flat tappet cams too. it works, and its NORMALLY as reliable as a rock.

and even with "just" a 750 edelbrock, a hydraulic cam, sane 10-1 pistons
                            and a mild 2600 stall and 3.73 gears, this car is scary fast. and i get to
                            enjoy driving it everyday. in 9000 miles last year, i did 3 oil changes.
                            and thats IT. i didnt have to do anything else maintainence wise, except
                            check tire air pressure, coolant level, trans oil level, etc...

and it still shakes hard enough at idle you cant see out the rearview mirrors.
                            perfect....

Comment

I'd rather have a car sitting on bias plys and airshocks running a carb than a EFI corner carver.
                              Hell, that Chevelle in my profile picture's running manual drums and a 4.56 gear. And I like it that way. (well, okay, the drums DO concern me a little, but it's an in town cruiser.)
                              The '68 Camaro has 4 wheel drums too, and air shocks. It's got a 40+ year old intake. It has slapper bars. The only modern thing on it is the radial tires and the HEI distributor.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	014.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	1152310
                              Last edited by JRC99; April 2, 2017, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X