Beer Is Good !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Is Good !

After the Bob's (BluLightning) thread about "Ok, Now This Has Gone Too Far! " - Don't Mess with my Beer !! posting, I thought a dedicated thread would be good, so we could all be enlightened about our favorite beverage (if in fact that is even required).

Beer is the world's oldest and most widely consumed alcoholic beverage and the third most popular drink overall after water and tea. It is produced by the brewing and fermentation of starches. Most beer is flavored with hops, which add bitterness and act as a natural preservative, though other flavorings such as herbs or fruit may occasionally be included.

The basic ingredients of beer are water; a starch source (mainly derived from cereal grains - the most common of which is malted barley, although wheat, maize (corn), and rice are widely used) that are able to be fermented and converted into alcohol; a brewer's yeast to produce the fermentation; and a flavoring such as hops.

The strength of beer is usually around 4% to 6% alcohol by volume (abv.) though may range from less than 1% abv., to over 20% abv. in rare cases.

The basics of brewing beer are commonly categorized into two main types - lagers and ales, which are based on the temperature of the brewing which influences the behavior of yeast used during the fermentation stage of the brewing process.

Lagers, use a slower-acting yeast, fermented at lower temperatures, which removes most of the sugars, leaving a clean, dry beer

Ales are brewed at a higher temperature, using a fast-acting yeast which leaves behind residual sugars and are further categorized into other varieties such as pale ale, stout and brown ale.

Alcoholic beverages distilled after fermentation, or fermented from non-starch sources such as grape juice (wine) or honey (mead), are not classified as beer.

.. so there you go. Beer is Good !
    ;D

From Wikipedia

Re: Beer Is Good !

And Yuengling in nearby Pottsville, PA is America's oldest still-operating brewery. Anytime you're in the area, stop by for a tour. They have old caves they use to store the beer and a bar with an old-time flavor and free samples.

Thank you Monster.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Yep, Yuengling is my favorite domestic beer. When I first found out about it, I thought it was Chinese.
      Still have not tried Samual Adams Boston Lager yet ..

Everyone should post up with what their favorite beer is.
      ;D

Comment

I like Rolling Rock - do they still make Little Kings 7 oz. mini long necks out yuor way ?
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

for you beer is good
          it used to make me break things and people
          then I got the sugar
          no more brew -diet iced tea

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
            Ouch.
            Was that just beer, or too much beer ?

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
              Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
              Ouch.
              Was that just beer, or too much beer ?
              That sounds a lot like tequila if ya ask me!

It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster

Everyone should post up with what their favorite beer is.
                ;D
                Ice cold, and somebody else's :D. Seriously, I think mine would be a brown ale called Moose Drool, Produced by Big Sky Brewing Co. in Missoula, Mt.
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

My favorite beers:

10. Any beer that is offered to me by a friend that is cold. Who can argue free, cold beer?

9.The new old new whatever you wanna call it Schlitz. This stuff is good and they use musclecars in their advertising!

8.Budweiser. A good old standard that is just hard to beat, albeit a bit more filling than Miller Lite.

7.Red Dog. Yep, I like it doggie style. Besides, the comments under the caps are part of the fun!

6. Boulevard Pale Ale. This is a great beer for winding down after a softball game or a round of disc golf.

5. Bud Light. Diet Bud helps me to keep my girlish figure. It is also one of the best bangs for the buck.

4. Dos Equis with lime. The only import on my list and damned well worthy of it. This stuff rocks!

3. Yuengling Lager. This stuff is great. Whenever I am traveling with the NMCA, I check to see if the local brew houses carry Yuengling.

2. Blind Tiger Maibock. This is a multi-time award-winning local specialty from the Blind Tiger Brewery here in Topeka. It is extremely tasty and very potent.

1.Shiner Bock. There are only two major employers in Shiner, Texas: Kaspar Wire Works (think Wal-Mart shopping carts) and Shiner Brewing Company. Smooth, crisp, light hearted and perfect with a nice, thick ribeye. This is also my go-to beer for chillin' and grillin' on the patio.

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

The church is near,

But the road is icy.

The bar is far away,

But I will walk carefully.

-Old Russian Proverb-

Comment

Steve, we are actually rationed Sam Adams up here in Boston. We put it on cereal and everything.

Ron...they still make Red Dog?! Check the bottling dates, you may be drinking off the last skid from the late 1990's.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

WWOOOOOOOOO!!!!! BBBEEEERRRRR!!!!!
                        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Favorite beers:

1. Cold
                          2. Not as cold
                          3. Nearly any IPA, but especially Dogfish Head
                          4. Warm
                          "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

Great Divide Titan IPA

Comment

Brian,

I don't know where you got your info, but the fellow with the mullet at the liquor store sells me 12-packs of ice cold Red Dog at least once a month.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                              X