Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beer Is Good !

Canada makes some great beers !
    Some of my favorites are; Molson Golden, Labatt's Blue and Moosehead.

I love beer !
    ;D

Comment

I like spotted cow made here in Wisconsin. I also like corona, but only mixed with Bacardi limon. You just open a corona and fill it the rest of the way with Bacardi limon, put your thumb over the top tip it over and let it mix (looks kind of cool while it mixes) It kills some of the bitterness.

Comment

my favorite beer is an open one.
        Budweiser

Comment

Premium Beers
          Cascade Premium
          Coopers Premium Ale
          Crown Lager
          Hahn Premium
          Hemp Premium
          James Squire Range
          Matilda Bay Premium
          Hahn Vienna Red
          Hop Thief
          Southwark Premium
          Wonder where I can find that one. ;)

I was actually thinking about some Cooper's, unless Steve has a preference.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
            Canada makes some great beers !
            Some of my favorites are; Molson Golden, Labatt's Blue and Moosehead.

I love beer !
            ;D
            The Molson I can attest to, have not yet sampled Labatt's or Moosehead......Milner reminded me about Mickey's.....stuff has a bit of a kick once you've downed a couple.......wide-mouth bottles have a way of facilitating that.

My father drank Stroh's when he was a young man....*shudders*........I stay away from it and PBR(if it requires fruit or salt to make it drinkable, I stay away from it)

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
              Wonder where I can find that one.
              I was actually thinking about some Cooper's, unless Steve has a preference.
              I thought you'd like the Hemp.
              ;)
              Cooper's is very nice, but I'm sure Steve has a preference, all Aussies do !
              ;D

Comment

I found this on an Aussie Beer site, which is very usefull information .....

Every drinker of beer knows the experience, a HANGOVER !!

You wake up - you dare not move. Your eye lids are stuck to your eyes. You smack your parched lips together. You groan, ever so slowly, becoming aware of a throbbing pain in your head. You have a hangover.

Your eyes open and quickly shut again in the face of the light. You want to die.
                Eventually you lift your head above the bed. Your head explodes. You put it back down.

But you need to go to the toilet. You force yourself to stand. Now you really want to die. You begin to walk. Step by painful step, towards your goal.

You make it, and, after your business, you move into the bathroom. At the sight of water you bend over and swallow a few merciful mouthfuls. You feel the cool, refreshing water flowing throughout your body and ending up in your brain. It isn't enough. You still want to die.

You shuffle slowly back to your room. You collapse back into the bed. Your day has just begun. Welcome to the hangover.

Hangovers - The Survival Guide
                Now, I am as concerned as any corporate citizen is when it comes to hangovers. We don't like suffering through them, and we don't like our mates suffering through them either. So what the bloody hell can we do about it?

A severe intoxication... may produce ... numerous "hangover" effects: nausea, headache, gastritis, thirst because of the shift of water from cellular to extracellular spaces, and a generalized residual malaise and physical and mental incompetence that may last as long as 24 hours after all the alcohol consumed has been metabolized. Some drinkers are satisfied to suffer the mild and even the severer after effects of occasional intoxication for the sake of the temporary dissociation, euphoria, or socialization that the drinking allows. Encylopedia Britannica

The first thing we can do is try and work out what can be done to avoid hangovers altogether, or at least to minimise them.

Preventative Measures
                After a combined 50 man-years of research at the coal-face, we can recommend the following preventative steps.

1. Don't drink at all. A favourite with wowsers, to be granted, but sometimes it is a valid choice for the rest of us as well. For example, you may have to work the next day, or participate in some form of sporting event. In these sad, sad, circumstances, heavy drinking just isn't a responsible option. This can be very difficult in an Australian cultural context, given the shout ethic and the anti-piking pressure. In fact, better advice is not to go out at all. If you can't play the game, don't even bother.

2. Drink less than you ordinarily would. This is obviously a more palatable approach, and can be as simple as sitting on your drink, or purchasing drinks that take longer to drink. For example, in the author's opinion a James Squire is an excellent choice to slow you down. It is such an interesting beer - one to be savoured, not guzzled. You will find yourself sitting on it, enjoying it. And the lower your consumption rate, the less you consume in the end and the happier you will be the next day. You may also be able to sit out of shouts, as your complex beer is more expensive and 'it just wouldn't be right' to expect others to fork out for it.

And of course, you may not be faced with the obligation to drink in vast quantities. Australians more and more are moving away from the culture of the 6 o'clock swill, and are starting to enjoy just one or two beers, perhaps with a meal. If this is the case, then you will be as right as rain. What we are really talking about here is coping with the alcohol consumption resulting from what essentially amounts to binges. Binges are not something we recommend, but we recognise that they are strongly entrenched in the Australian culture.

3. Move on to mid-strength or light beers as the evening progresses. In our experience, after X beers (X depending on many factors), it doesn't really matter what you are drinking. Or to put it another way, you wish to continue drinking, but you have really had enough alcohol. This is an excellent time to switch over to low or mid strength beers, possibly alternating occasionally with a 'real' beer. This can make all the difference the day after, and to be honest, at that time of night you can't really tell that aren't drinking the real thing.

4. Eat before or during your drinking session. Food slows the absorption of alcohol in the body, and can really be a godsend. Anticdotal evidence suggests that most 'absolute shockers' occur when the drinker has missed a meal and has been drinking on an empty stomach. A sure fire way of getting drunk to quickly and often embarrassingly: especially for women.

4. Drink water before and during the night.

5. Drink water before and during the night.

6. Drink water before and during the night. As you can see, we take drinking water before and during the night very seriously. In fact, we believe that this is the single most important thing that can be done to prevent hangovers. Once you wake up it is too late (see discussion below). You need to concurrently consume the golden H20 to get the full benefits.

This is because the single biggest killer in hangovers is dehydration. Alcohol will catch you out every time.

It acts on the brain's pituitary gland and blocks production of the hormone vasopressin, which directs the kidneys to reabsorb water that would otherwise end up in the bladder. Once this hormonal hydrostat is switched off, the usual trickle of urine turns into a flood.

Newscientist, Desperate remedies, October 1999

And of course, as we are 80% water, getting dehydrated hurts:

The body quickly compensates for water loss by borrowing water from other organs, such as the brain. This causes the brain to shrink away from the skull. Although the brain has no pain sensation, it has a covering called the dura that is connected to the skull by pain-sensitive filaments. If the brain shrinks during dehydration, the dura can become disformed, causing headaches...

Stanford Daily, Aches, pains and dehydration: the science of a hangover, 25 November 1998

Before you go to bed (although this is getting to be too late) drink as much water as you reasonably can. And then fill up a big glass and put it within arm's reach of your bed. You will thank us in the middle of the night. And if you are forced to wake up during the night to go to the toilet, then repeat the whole procedure. This may lead to a cycle of getting up, going to the toilet, and drinking more water. Good. You will be better off in the long run because of it.

8. Finally, as distasteful as this may sound, some irresponsible drinkers find themselves in the unfortunate position of, shall we say, driving the porcelain bus home at the end of the evening. Our advice: don't fight it - your body is telling you that you have gone way too far, and is getting rid of what it sees as poison. Work with your body on this one - it may save your life.

Of course sometimes you will ignore all of our advice. And you will wake up with an absolute killer. What should be done now is anyone's guess. And here's ours.

Post brain-shrink strategies

The first thing to do, no matter what else you do, and that is to drink more water when you wake up.

What you do after that is a matter of contention. We can suggest a few cures though.

Greasy Food

Some people have reported to us that they feel a 100% improvement after having consumed some greasy food for breakfast. This may of course come in many forms. A meat-pie is an old favourite. McDonald's also appears to be quite popular with the morning after crowd.

Caffinated Soft drink

Now, this isn't something that you would see recommended by a medically trained person as it could lead to further dehydration. However, some of our readers have also claimed that, for whatever reason, a diet coke or the like makes all the difference.

Hair of the dog

The old hair-of-the-dog is something we have tended to read more about than actually experience or view first hand. To us, the thought of having another beer after you wake up wondering if your head actually has split open is not something that could ever be realistically contemplated. Although, we are fairly confident that the concept of having another beer or ten later on that day is not completely foreign to some of our readers.

So, in order to stop the DTs, drinkers regularly leave some grog for when they get up in the morning. This measure allegedly also stops hang-over symptoms. Some assure me they do eat after that first 'shot' but binge drinkers go without food for up to 3 days. "They come back hungry, ask for food, and some get locked up hungry in order to obtain food .... they fight their wives, mothers".

Too much sorry business, The Report of the Aboriginal Issues Unit of NT, 1990

It is an attractive technique: you ward off the hangover by having another drink. The name dates back to an ancient Scottish practice of placing hairs from the dog that bit you in any wound inflicted by such dog - the idea being that it will help the wound heal faster. Sounds dodgy? Well, it may actually be that applying the practice to alcohol (first suggested in 479 BC) may not be as crazy as it appears at first glance.

Recently some propeller heads have claimed that congeners are the real cause of hangovers. These are toxins formed during the fermentation process, and the worst form is methanol. When the liver has to deal with the nasties injected so lovingly the night before, it first deals with ethanol, and then moves on big brother methanol. The problem with the methanol processing is that one of the break-down products is formic acid.

So what, you say?

Well, the idea is that ingestion of more ethanol delays the processing of the methanol, and hence the pain. However, surely you are just delaying the inevitable - everyone knows that if you stay pissed you don't get hung over till you stop drinking. But eventually you do stop. So we don't really see the point.

Pain Killers
                Take one substance to undo the effects of another? Sounds great, but be warned: according to the US Food and Drug Administration paracetamol amplifies alcohol's damaging effect on the liver. So it may be best to avoid that style of pain killer, or preferably the hangover in the first place.

Silver Bullet?
                Recently, New Scientist claimed that N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC), an amino acid sold in health food stores, had a remarkable effect on hangovers - virtually eliminating them in some instances. One product we tried that seem to offer some relief for us (but of course we haven't tested it in any clinical or scientific way) is ALCODOL. You take it before and during drinking and it seems to take the edge off the hangover. It is said to contain the exact amino acids that your body uses up to metabolise alcohol.

You can pick it up in some chemists (Pharmacies).

Final Word

Hangovers are an ugly part of a drinker's life. Even if most of the time you are content savouring one or two of your favourite beers, there will be occasions when you overindulge. So be aware of the consequences, and do what you can to avoid being placed in situations you, and your body, are going to regret the next day.

Cheers and good luck !!
                ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Rustyford
                  my favorite beer is an open one.
                  Budweiser
                  x2
                  Nitrous, baby!!...

Comment

I have a batch of beer all ready to drink this weekend that I made... ;D

When out and about i will try the local stuff.

I like:

Blue Point Oatmeal Stout

Yeungling

Brooklyn Pendant Ale

Sam Adams (pretty much all of their brews)

Sarnac is nice as it is pretty inexpensive...

My latest batch is for summer use with a hint of corriander and honey...

Can't wait to throw some steaks on the grill and pop open a bottle of my home brew.

Comment

I never even heard of the Yeunglings so I hafta try that in Ohio - do they have it in Michigan too ?
                      The home brew or micro brew thing never was for me I guess - weaned on Stroh's and Black Label so it probably ruined my taste buds ya think ?
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Maybe... When I was younger, I had a part time job in a friends store. He had well over 200 different kinds of beer and would be constantly rotating new stuff in. I had a good discount and got occasional freebies, so I tried A LOT of different beers. If I'm out, I'll Just have a Bud or whatevers on tap. I try to keep a variety at the house, though.
                        I'm probably wrong

Comment

Coors,Rolling Rock,Guiness,Sam Adams

Comment

Hey, Bruab....

Just to let you know, I am drinking a Red Dog right this instant. No, they don't sell them off the back of a van, I picked this one up in a nice respectable likka stow where the cashier had a gold toof.

Ron
                            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

BEER TASTING

Beer tasting is something that is quite new. It will be useful whether you want to impress your friends at parties, or if you simply want to appreciate your beer more. But remember, you cannot become an expert overnight. The key is practice, practice and more practice. And what better thing is there to practise than beer drinking!

WHAT IS TASTE?

Let's start with the basics. "Tasting" is essentially the perceiving of flavour by using our senses, namely, by using our olfactory (smell), gustatory (taste) and tactual (touch) senses.

Physiologically, we detect smell by olfactory mucous membranes which detect odorous gasses. We detect taste by nerve endings on our tongues (taste buds) - the four basic sensations are sweet, salt, sour and bitter. They are detected on different areas of the tongue.

The area of the tongue where we have the most intense taste sensations is located towards the back of the tongue. This is called the "middle palate". Here we have the most taste buds of all four types.

Touch is also detected by nerve endings in our mouths - the basic touch sensations we detect in our mouths in relation to liquids are viscosity and astringency.

The combination of all the smell, taste and touch sensations is what we call flavour. In beer tasting you are looking for the magic flavour of the malt and the hops that the brewer has released and balanced in a masterly way.

A good sense of smell is the key to tasting. You no doubt have noticed how food tastes bland when you have a blocked nose. The other important attribute is a good memory. When you have tasted a particular beer you need to concentrate and attempt to store away the sensation so that you can compare against it later. Most people have a very good smell memory - you may find that certain smells cause long forgotten memories of places and events to flood back.

The upshot of all this is that to properly detect the flavour a beer you should first smell it and then after sipping it you must move it over your tongue and mouth. This ensures that all the taste buds are employed and it also releases pleasant vapours which waft up to your olfactory glands. Finally, you must swallow the beer - this causes it to pass over the back of the tongue and provides you with important aftertaste sensations. Throughout the process you must concentrate to try to categorise and remember the sensations that you are flooded with. If they compare well with what you consider to be the ideal beer then you will find that it is a very good beer.

Of course, not everyone will reach the same conclusion on a particular beer. The taste for beer is an acquired taste; to a large extent you are conditioned to treat the beer that you were brought up on as what a beer should taste like. Therefore, you are likely to dismiss anything which is too different as being a poor beer. You should try to resist this temptation and approach each new brew with an open mind. The golden rule is a simple one - a good beer is a beer that tastes good.

TASTING CONDITIONS

When rating beers, you must ensure that you rate them against others in the same style. Just as it is pointless to rate apples against oranges, you can't rate a stout against a lager. You should also ensure that each class of beer is drunk at the correct temperature. For example, many Europeans make the mistake of drinking Australian lagers at a far too warm temperature and then complain about the unpleasant flavours they've invoked. Just as importantly, you have to ensure that the beer you are tasting is not too cold. If the beer is on the verge of freezing then the nuances of aroma and taste will have been concealed by the chill of the beer. It's great as a thirst quencher on a hot summer's day but not in a proper condition for tasting.

Another very important thing to watch - and we can't stress this enough - is that the beer which you are tasting should be as fresh as possible. The ideal place to taste beers would be at the brewery. Unlike wines, most beers deteriorate over time. They deteriorate particularly fast if exposed to heat or sunlight (that is why beer is usually sold in dark brown or dark green bottles). Good storage and transportation of beer is crucial. Often Australian beers which are exported overseas are simply too old to be rated fairly. The same holds true for draught beer, if a keg was put on at the pub quite some time ago, the beer may have deteriorated. This is one reason why you should not write off a beer after one tasting. You have to try it from a number of different sources before you can fairly say that it is not a good brew.

One more thing to note is that the beers should be sampled in the same types of glasses because the size and shape of the glass may affect the way in which you perceive the aroma of the beer. You should also ensure that the beers are poured consistently because this may affect the release of the aroma and, of course, the formation of the head.

Comment

Tiresmoke has discovered 2 very interesting things today regarding beer:

1) Yuengling Beer is NOT sold in the state of Indiana....some odd reason, but it flat-out ISN'T.
                                2) Shiner Bock, however, IS......picked up six-pack(bottles), sampled one.......ME LIKEY!

I'm finding that I'd rather drink one or two quality beers on occasion and enjoy the flavor than pound down a case of horse-piss cheap beer........must be getting old.

;D

Comment

Working...
                                X