Beer Is Good !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Beer Is Good !

I'm now hooked on the new Budweiser American Ale.

The out "Sam Adams-ed" Sam Adams.

Tasty juice!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

tiresmoke!, you're not getting older, just getting wiser ...
      ;D

Comment

Originally posted by tiresmoke!
        Tiresmoke has discovered 2 very interesting things today regarding beer:

1) Yuengling Beer is NOT sold in the state of Indiana....some odd reason, but it flat-out ISN'T.
        2) Shiner Bock, however, IS......picked up six-pack(bottles), sampled one.......ME LIKEY!

I'm finding that I'd rather drink one or two quality beers on occasion and enjoy the flavor than pound down a case of horse-piss cheap beer........must be getting old.

;D
        I'm tellin' ya, that Shiner Bock is goooooood stuff!

Ron
        It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Is it anything like Amber Bock ?

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
            Is it anything like Amber Bock ?
            Amber Bock is a bit richer and heavier. It fills me up.

Ron
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

I was gonna say, I figured Shiner Bock was gonna be one of those beers that would be rich and heavy....while is has a full-bodied taste, it doesn't leave me feeling like I swallowed a damn brick.

My wife just walked past me and declared I'm becoming a "expensive beer snob"....she liked it better when I preferred a 12-pack longneck of Red Dog(yeah, I drank it at one time....so what?!).

All in moderation.

Comment

I would like to see a sales graph of the beer companies we have spoken of in about a month and see if the brands we mentioned had sales spikes over the same month from a year ago.

On that same note, I wonder if Orange Julius had a good year last year? ;D

Ron

Comment

Now that you know the two major categories of beer and how they are made, and have learned how to taste beer, the final lesson in your Beer Education is how to appreciate beer.

Step by Step Guide to Beer Appreciation
                  Welcome to the step-by-step guide to beer appreciation. By following these simple steps you will learn how to use your senses of sight, smell and taste to become a beer appreciation expert!

Step 1 - Appearance
                  First you must determine the appearance and color of the beer. You are looking to determine whether the following characteristics are acceptable according to style:

Color - color should be appropriate to the beer?s style and should be consistent. So for example, a lager should be yellow (not reddish) and a stout should be black (not brown).

Clarity or Limpidity - styles of beer which have been filtered such as lagers should be clear or even limpid (which means crystal clear). On the other hand you obviously cannot expect a bottle conditioned ale or a wheat beer to be clear but even these should not be too cloudy.

Head - this is the foam on a glass of beer. What is an appropriate head depends on the style of beer and the manner in which it has been poured. Generally it should be firm and fall slowly. Lacing should be left on the side of the glass once the beer is finished (a stroke for each sip - you can tell your drinking style by your empty glasses if they have too few laces then you?re guzzling and if they have too many then you?re dawdling). The desired size depends on the style of the beer. For example a lager or a stout should have a medium sized head of about 2cm. Pilsners should have a higher head.

Step 2 - Odor
                  When you have determined the appearance and color of your beer you should smell it to evaluate its odor. Odor consists of aroma which comprises the pre-fermentation smells and the bouquet which comprises the smells which are the product of fermentation.
                  The smells you are looking for include:

Hoppy - this is the grassy, flowery or tangy aroma which comes from the essential oils in the hops.

Malty - this is the sweet brewery aroma which comes from the sugars in the malted grain. It may have caramel (ie. slightly burnt toffee-like), earthy, roasted, molasses or coffee characteristics.

Fruity (estery) - this a fruity, sweet aroma which comes from the strain of yeast used. For example it could remind you of bananas, apples or raspberries. Strong fruitiness is more common in ales than in lagers.

Undesirable odors include:

Cardboard or Wet-Papery - this a smell which comes from beer that is too old or oxidized, i.e. which has been in contact with air for too long and has been damaged by oxygen.

Buttery or Honey (diacetyl) - a buttery, butterscotch or honey smell in beer is caused by bacterial infection (or sometimes by fermentation that was too short or conducted at too high a temperature). Not to be confused with a honey taste in a beer brewed with honey.

Skunky - this is the sulphery smell given off by beer which has been exposed to too much light. It is caused by the breakdown of hop oils by ultraviolet light.

Step 3 - Taste
                  When you first sample the beer you will sense its sting or ?effervescence? (caused by the bubbles of carbon dioxide gas). Then when you have the sip of beer passing through your mouth, you should ask yourself questions such as whether you are getting a sweet, sour or bitter sensation. Sweet sensations come from the malt or sugar used in the fermentation process, bitter sensations from the hops and sour sensations come from problems with the beer.

It is vitally important that you swallow your sample so that you can experience the full bitterness of the brew. This is because as shown on the diagram of the tongue, the taste buds which detect bitterness are located at the back of the tongue. Consequently, beer ? unlike wine - should never be spat out during a tasting. As if you were going to that anyway - not bloody likely!

When tasting, you are looking to determine whether the following characteristics are present:

Bitterness - this is the bitter flavor imparted by the female flowers of the Humulus Lupulus plant (i.e. the hops). Bitterness is experienced at the back of the tongue.

Sweetness or maltiness - this is the sweet taste which comes from the sugars in the malted grain.

Body or Mouthfeel - the body or mouthfeel is how the beer feels in your mouth before you swallow it. It may be thin, watery, or light on the one hand or viscose, big and full-bodied on the other. Whether a beer is big and full-bodied is often dependent on the qualities and richness of the malt.

Balance - a balanced beer is one where all the taste sensations that we expect of a beer are present in desirable proportions and one does not overpower the others. In a well-balanced beer the malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness complement one another and neither predominates.

Finish - finish is related to bitterness but includes other sensations that linger in your mouth after you have swallowed your sample. Bitterness and astringency contribute to a desirable clean finish.

Tasting Score Card
                  When rating beers it may be helpful to record your ratings on a score card for consistency. Here is one based on the wine judging score card of the Office International De La Vigne Et Du Vin.

Attribute Best score Rating Comments
                  Appearance
                  Appearance and Colour 1
                  Odour
                  Odour Intensity 1
                  Odour Quality 1
                  Taste
                  Taste Intensity 2
                  Taste Quality 3
                  Harmony or Balance 1
                  Finish 1

CONGRATULATIONS !
                  So now you are equipped to skillfully rate and review beers and amaze your friends with your beer knowledge and expertise. Perhaps you may become as accomplished as I am (LOL !!)

If all this is just way too much, just drink the stuff and enjoy it !!
                  ;D

Comment

A good friend of mine suggested Fat Tire beer............I can't wait to give it a tryout.........
                    That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

Originally posted by 383S-10
                      A good friend of mine suggested Fat Tire beer............I can't wait to give it a tryout.........
                      Fat tire is good stuff.

Someone actually makes some stuff called "Old Engine Oil" that was pretty tasty.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Leaving for Montana this morning for a wedding. I will try to drink my weight in Fat Tire and Moose Drool.

Cheers

Steve
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Michael Jackson, whose death in 2007 is still mourned today, was the best known beer writer the world has known. This site remains not simply as a tribute to his work, but as an archive we hope will serve each new generation of beer drinkers. Thus we let him introduce himself just as he first did
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer
                            Michael Jackson, whose death in 2007 is still mourned today, was the best known beer writer the world has known. This site remains not simply as a tribute to his work, but as an archive we hope will serve each new generation of beer drinkers. Thus we let him introduce himself just as he first did
                            For those who don't like "clicking" on links ....

Former Ford worker Ken Brooker, now an award-winning professional brewer, calls his newest beer Old Engine Oil. He admits the name may not appeal to every drinker, but the beer won a blindfold tasting be chosen as the featured winter brew in the British nationwide supermarket chain Tesco.

"Old Engine Oil" describes the beer's near-black colour, viscosity and lubricity, reckons brewer Brooker. "And it makes people smile," adds his wife Ingrid. I smiled rather more after having a glass of the 6.0 per cent brew. It is silky-smooth, with a rummy aroma, a coffeeish palate, and a suggestion of the darkest chocolate. An after-dinner beer as much as a winter warmer or bedtime brew.

Thanks Schtauffer ...
                            ;)

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal
                              Leaving for Montana this morning for a wedding. I will try to drink my weight in Fat Tire and Moose Drool.

Cheers

Steve
                              Steve, also try just about anything produced by Big Sky Brewing http://www.bigskybrew.com/index.aspx/Our_Beers also anything by the AlackinBrewing Co. My favorite was tha Ale http://www.alaskanbeer.com/amber.html while you're out there, if you could pick me up a case of Moose Drool I'd be indebted to you for a long time.
                              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Bump !
                                ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X