How's OUR Daphne Doing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How's OUR Daphne Doing?

I see Chad is posting on the front page again which leads me to ask how Daphne's doing. I sure hope all is progressing well for her - and therefore Chad and the other kids.

Dan

November 16, 2016 7pm
    Okay, okay, I know you all want updates! It's been a crazy couple of days with Daphne starting chemo, Street Car Super Nationals starting tomorrow, the house getting cleaned up, etc, etc. But it's been good. Here is the breakdown.
    So we get to the USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Care Center on Monday morning, meet with our Oncologist Dr. Hu, and we're figuring that chemo WON'T start because Daphne has been fighting a low grade fever and we know that the last chest x-ray showed pneumonia was coming back in her right lung.
    When the doctor's crew went to weigh Daphne she had a look of dread on her face because ever since we got home from the hospital she's been fighting taste buds that were not happy about salt. And yet eating things without salt sucked and made her not really want to eat even though she knew she had to. Like a good girl she ate even when she didn't want to, knowing that putting on weight was important before starting chemo. So when the scale said that she weighed just over 101 lbs, she put her arms in the air and was all excited! Then she started coughing. Ain't life a bitch. But she quickly recovered, we talked with Dr. Hu, and he said that we were starting chemo today anyway and that we'd kick the pneumonia's ass right along with the cancer because killing the cancer would keep the pneumonia from coming back.
    We gave him a thumbs up and headed back out to registration so they could find us a bed. We got assigned to the room right below the one we were in here before, when Daphne crashed and had to have emergency surgery and all that crap, and Daphne was not too thrilled about the whole prospect.
    As she was starting chemo I had to head for home to get live broadcast equipment ready for Brian and this weekend's Street Car Super Nationals. Daphne and I are both disappointed we won't be there, but we're glad that we're on the road to kicking cancers ass so it's okay.
    Day 1 went well, even though I wasn't there for the first hour or the nasty stuff, and slowly but surely her fears were melting away. Then day 2 came, and went well too, and she finally got where she could relax a bit about it. Pain killers, anti nausea drugs, antibiotics, some happy pills, and who knows what else are flowing into her like a Top Fuel motor. Aeromotive Fuel Systems should be making pumps for chemo Steve Matusek!
    Getting ready for bed last night she was sleepy, feeling good about her first two days, and thrilled that they gave her a muscle relaxant for the back pain she'd been experiencing for weeks. She carries her stress in her back all the time and the muscle relaxant was magic.
    She wasn't feeling any bad side effects either. She was eating good, sleeping off and on throughout the day (which actually bothers her because she thinks it is wrong to sleep during the day), and we even went for a walk around the floor after dinner. The one funny side effect is the fact that she started puffing up, from retaining water, about 36 hours ago now. Last night it was pretty good and her feet, hands, and face were puff city. The other side effect of retaining water? Weight gain! Yep, my girl is getting big! In fact, heavier than she's been since pregnant with Cole Reynolds. And tonight she almost hit her all time high! She's almost 120 lbs right now, which is really what she'd love to weigh actually but obviously without the puffiness and water being the weight. The doctors say it will go down once we're at home and not on fluids, and nobody seems too worried about it. It feels funny, but doesn't hurt so we're good with it for now.
    So we're almost done with "Day 3" and we're also almost done with the second bag of the Red Devil chemo drugs that Daphne refuses to give that much credit. She and her nurse Becky decided it was going to be called Fluffy Bunny because it's just not that scary. LOL
    So when this bag is done, in a few hours, we'll start our third and final of the Fluffy Bunny and then we're in the home stretch. Daphne had Lobster for dinner tonight. Yes, lobster and with a shrimp cocktail to start actually. It's a good thing it was good because lunch sucked balls and I had to grab her something else to eat instead of the Turkey Divan that was on the menu. Which brings me to my one complaint about Norris. Even though we are only a block away from Keck Hospital, the food situation here sucks. The cafeteria is tiny, and the food selection very very small as well. Some stuff is okay, but overall nothing like the cafeteria in Keck. And there isn't anything else around. Oh and this morning instead of decaf coffee from a pot they brought decaf instant coffee. Sanka in fact! I didn't even know they made that still!
    Nothing that doesn't require driving that is. But since there is no parking garage here, and you have to park in Valet which doesn't allow overnight parking, I have to go down before 7:30 (which I've just missed FYI) to get the keys and park on the street where it is free from 8pm to 8am. Then in the morning I roll down and grab the Suburban off the street and bring it back to the valet. It's a circus. But it's our circus.
    At least this morning I drive a couple miles away to Don Pedro's Palenque restaurant and had an amazing breakfast burrito that was so good I let it burn my mouth while eating every bite because it was so tasty. I might need another one tomorrow. We'll see.
    So now we're sitting in the room, Daphne is filing her nails, and trying to forget about her back pain. She woke up this morning saying that she hadn't slept as good as last night in years. Then she went until almost noon before taking pain meds or muscle relaxants. Bad idea. She's spent the entire afternoon and evening trying to catch back up. They just dosed her with some more pain meds, and she's going to take a shower after this back of Fluffy Bunny and then it's off to bed for what I hope will be another good night of sleeping.
    And speaking of sleeping, I do have to give credit to Norris for having the roll away bed in the room so I actually have a real place to sleep. It's nice. I have my own little cubby in the corner with my bed and it is far better than sleeping in a recliner.
    Dr Hu came to check on us tonight, we're rolling into our third night, and we're feeling optimistic about tomorrow. If our math is correct we'll be done with the last bag of fluffy bunny sometime early early Friday morning so we'll hope to be home by lunch time. Woot woot!
    I'm proud of my girl, she isn't feeling great, but she's handling it good. And quite honestly if her back didn't hurt she'd be in fine shape. She's going to need some massage and acupuncture or something and then she should be good. Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, we both really appreciate it. I'll try for another update tomorrow.
    We love you all.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

As with for people everywhere who are facing such issues...what can we say, except know we are thinking about you, pulling for you. -Loren & Gail

Comment

Tough health.
        accepting the waters is no doubt a good thing.
        slow going or not..

best of luck in the modern medicine.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I am happy for a positive outlook..
          Yes, I am aware she is not out of the woods yet..
          Here is positive thoughts sent your way..

Comment

Thanks SBG for the update. I'm sure they know that we all care and are pulling for them.

Dan

Comment

Am glad to hear about the progress. Darlene and I have been wanting to know. Hard to not think about Chad and Daphne at the CHRR when I would finish a burnout and look to the left and no camera and Chad on the lift! Please keep the updates coming. Thx, SBG!

Comment

it's directly pulled from FB.... but I've no problem copying them to here.

Comment

Daphne Reynolds Update: 11/18/2016 9:30 am
                  Technically we are done with this round of chemo!!! Woot woot. As of about 11:30 last night, Daphne has been unhooked from chemo drugs and in fact slept without being attached to anything.
                  She's eating breakfast as we speak and just got hooked up to an IV for some magnesium that she is low on. Her hemoglobins are a little low, as expected after chemo, so they'll be adding some back as well before we leave.
                  She's still coughing, although not as bad as she has before, which will take a week or two to start really going away, and it could take another round or two before it is completely gone. We'll see. The x-rays they took this morning are to see how the fluid situation is going and how her pneumonia is looking after being on antibiotics for the past couple days. We assume they'll be giving us more of them to take orally over the next few days.
                  She also has a couple of other annoying things going on. Her throat is sore, and we don't know if that's a chemo thing, an oxygen flow thing, a snoring thing, or what. And then there is the taste buds thing. Food is tasting fine...except for the first bite. Literally the first bite of food is like taking a giant bite of lemon. You know where the back corners of your mouth pucker up and water and it makes you squeeze your eyes shut and all that? This is happening the first bite, regardless of what it is, and then again if she waits more than a minute to eat another bite. If she sits there and eats normal it is only the first bite that is weird.
                  Weird.
                  Her water retention has gone down by a few kilos and she's looking much more normal again. She hasn't looked at herself in the mirror, just in her own photos from her phone, but I can tell that not looking like a snausage is making her feel better.
                  We are now waiting to see what else we have to do today to go home and then we'll be back here on Monday morning for a follow up with the Oncologist and then we'll schedule our next chemo which I believe will be the 5th of December. We shall see.
                  Cross your fingers, send your prayers, and good thoughts, that we'll be going home in the next few hours.
                  We love you all.

Comment

More Positive Energy sent.

And thanks SBG for posting these here for us non-Facebook people.

Dan
                    Last edited by DanStokes; November 19, 2016, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Daphne Reynolds Update: November 21, 2016 6:30pm
                      Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!!! After a tough night that had her coughing and aching, I got Daphne rolling along with a yummy breakfast on Sunday. She wasn't thrilled with her Saturday which involved A LOT of sleeping. She claims that sleeping all day keeps her up all night, but I've been checking on her every 30 minutes and I haven't witnessed her sitting awake in bed. But she has a disdain for sleeping during the day, and I understand. Plus, the sleep came as the result of pain pills, muscle relaxants, etc. and feeling loopy and out of it is not her favorite. But Sunday was different!
                      She decided she was going to work at not taking any more meds than were actually necessary and she pulled it off. She took half as much stuff, and was awake a lot more during the day. None of her sleeping or being groggy bothered me at all by the way, because all I cared about was the fact that she wasn't nauseous. According to the docs, she should have been experiencing some nausea two days after finishing chemo, and that should have started Saturday night but didn't. Woot woot!
                      So we spent out Sunday sitting in front of the tv/computer while she watched NASCAR and I monitored our live streaming video from the Street Car Super Nationals and worked on photo galleries, etc. I was pissed at NASCAR, which should surprise none of you, but it was still a pretty good day.
                      Daphne had a pretty good night, with only a little bit of pain, but she wasn't real thrilled about me waking her up with coffee at 7:30am to go to her Oncology follow up. A shower made her feel better, although for the second day in a row she noticed that a little hair was coming out in her hands while shampooing. It has started.
                      Drying her hair and getting ready is honestly the biggest drain on her first thing in the morning, but she ate a little and we hit the road for USC.
                      She was tired and nervous and not real happy about being there when we got into the blood draw lab. The wait to see our Oncologist didn't make her any happier, although the clowns, yes clowns, walking through the USC Norris lobby were entertaining. She was getting hungry and we decided to hit up James Crosby so we could meet him for lunch at one of our favorite local spots, Joanne's Cafe.
                      When we finally got in to see our doctor, her mood changed because the nurses, Physician's Assistant, and Doctor all said how good she looked. That definitely made her feel better.
                      Getting on the scale and seeing that she hadn't lost any weight, and getting her vitals with no hint of fever, all made her feel even better. When the staff asked questions and just kept getting more and more excited about how good she looked and how well she had handled the chemo so far, that made her feel really good.
                      But what really made me feel good, and had her smiling for sure, was when the PA and then Doctor both listened to her lungs and were thrilled that there is already an improvement in her right lung's breath sounds. Woot woot!!!
                      We are hoping that we will see a real improved in her breathing over the next few weeks and this was a good sign.
                      We left the hospital feeling pretty good, although she did start thinking about our next chemo cycle which is going to be 5 days in the hospital to get the IE of our VAC/IE regiment. When I asked her what she was going to eat at Joanne's she was quickly distracted by the thought of Chicken Fried Steak. A little nap before we arrived, and she was one happy camper when we rolled into the restaurant.
                      So we ate too much, talked about hot rods, chemo, and life in general and then rolled home.
                      Today was a good day.
                      Cole Reynolds was in Scottsdale for Goodguys this past weekend, and while there he, Rob Phillips, and Brandy Phillips die cut #TeamWickedChickdecals and people were grabbing them and donating money to the keep us housed, fed, and healthy fund like mad. Also in Scottsdale, Bill Speed and Scrape gave rides on the autocross for donations. So did Jane Thurmond, Greg Thurmond, Scott Fraser, Mike DuSold, Valerie Gilliam Pichette, Mark Allen, Karyn Eytchison, Wes Drelleshak, Larry Woo, Matt Alcala, Bret Voelkel, Andy Voelkel, Brian Hobaugh, Carrie Olson Strange Tim Strange, Rob and Brandy Phillips.
                      At the same time, Mel Roth and the gang at the Street Car Super Nationals in Las Vegas had done a raffle with the proceeds going to us and the results were awesome and totally unexpected. Cole was so excited to show us the money, and Daphne and I both were amazed, touched, and thankful.
                      To all of you who have helped out financially, spiritually, and with encouragement, we can't thank you enough. It is so moving. Seriously moving.
                      And we owe a bunch of you thanks for stuff that you have sent. We've been in and out of the hospital so much we haven't done a good job of keeping up with personally thanking you all but we will try to catch up.
                      Thank you to Scott Payton for a level of support I will never be able to repay. To Josh Murphy and Ana Michelle Murphy who gave us a level of comfort and support going into brain surgery that only someone who's gone through it can possibly provide. And for the prayer before hand that matters even more. To Brian Macy and Heather Macy for all the support and advice. Again, a level of support we will never be able to repay. And Michael Jones, aka MJ, you rock my brother. How someone can be so generous is beyond me. Jeff Odell, I still can't believe anyone can be so selfless. Sherry Larson, it's amazing that you always know just what to say and we love you for it. Thank you.

Comment

Thank you to all of you that sent cards including Chris Douglas, Grandma Ruth, Wyndee Martin- Clements Paul and Clay, Dennis and Dani, Linda and Bill, Kim and Al Kussy for the prayer book, Neal and Michelle Clark Sabo, Lynda Jacobs, Chris Jacobs, and whoever else I'm forgetting. I suck, I know.
                        And to Sharon Voelkel, Bret Voelkel, and Andy Voelkel for the kick ass Route 66 quilt that Sharon made and Daphne is in love with. And Wyndee for the Red/Checkered blanket that Daphne took to the hospital with us and had the nurses loving her for bringing her own pillow and blanket. And Joanne Walter Mark Walter for the insane amount of cool stuff including books, turbans, oils and more. Sydney Sprague-Allison and Wes for the cool shirts and pajama pants for Daphne. Dick Kubota and the entire Renteria clan for all the support. We love you guys, and the Kubota Family Teriyaki Sauce. Our neighbors the Burrights for the food, and for getting with the Ellingsons to decorate the house for Halloween. And to all the people that sent flowers and stuff like Ernest N Christine Mena, Garrick and Amy Olson, Harley and Laura Bowers, Cousin Roy and Shana, and a couple others who I can't remember unfortunately.
                        To Tim Anderson and the crew at Racepak who sent me snacks for survival in the hospital, and who hooked us up with a golf cart for the World Finals. Also Ron A. Capps, Del Worsham, John Hale, Trevor Hayes and the entire Hayes family for ordering a Thanksgiving dinner for us, and Tim McColgan, Dannie Pinard, Shaun Callaway, Crosby, Mel Roth, Brandy and Rob, Sean Stark, Scott Clark, Jim Leininger Jr., Jeff Stacy, Scott Liggett, Jimi Day, Wally Olczak, Jim McIlvaine, Bill Tichenor, Bill Floyd, The Dean's List, and all of our racing family. I could literally name off 100's of you right here, which is so amazing.
                        The point is, we thank you all. Everyone that keeps tagging us in stuff. Everyone that keeps praying. Everyone that keeps sending words of encouragement. Everyone that has run a sticker. Everyone that is waiting for a sticker. Everyone, because I can't put you all in here. Literally all of you. Thank you.
                        One more thing...DON'T STOP!!! We are just getting into the chemo routine and need all the strength we can muster from all of you. Keep it up!

Comment

Thanks for the updates! Thoughts and Prayers continuing from all of us here in Iowa!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm sorry for not bringing you guys another update on Daphne, but the truth is we've had a pretty uneventful Round 2 of chemo this week. And, I've been working my butt off trying to get things ready for everyone at PRI, etc, etc.
                            Daphne has been a trooper this week, although she is bored stupid sitting here in the hospital. She's been walking her ass off twice a day, which helps with the effects of chemo so they encourage it. Yesterday we went outside and walked around both in front and back of the hospital, and with her hall walking she probably got two miles in. Not bad considering we can't go too far. Today she's feeling more tired, because it's day 4 of chemo, but she still got up and walked probably close to 1/2 mile so far.
                            We also went back to the store in the hospital that has the wigs and hats, where we got her cool hats the other day, and she tried on a short wig she had seen and liked. She would never cut her hair this short for fear of it looking bad. I think it looks cute as hell though, don't you?
                            She did arts and crafts today, and made this nice little Christmas Card while I was on a conference call. I got back and she came in with it all excited. Then she cried because she said it was sad that she was making crafts in the hospital. Physically this longer round of chemo isn't harder than the first, but emotionally it is since we're in the hospital longer, although that might actually change!
                            This morning, Bridey who is our Physician's Assitant and the one in charge of our care during chemo adminstration, came in before rounds with all the doctors to say hello and listen to Daphne's lungs. Bridey is one of our favorites, and she always makes Daphne feel good. She had been in to see us a couple times each day, but this morning was the first time she took a listen to Daphne's lungs. She was beaming and clapping after listening to Daphne's right lung and said "Listen to those beautiful breath sounds!" It was awesome.
                            All the medical staff is really happy with how things are going so far. I don't know if the chemo is working super kick ass, if the prayers are boosting the chemo, if the prayers are curing her, or some combo of prayers, chemo, mojo and whatever, but it's working. We know it is, because Daphne can breath so much better today than she did a week ago. Just like they told us, within a couple weeks she would feel a lot different and she most certainly does. She is hardly coughing, and breathing much more deeply and easily.
                            We had another cool visitor today too. Hillary, the nurse who actually assisted on Daphne's emergency intubation on this floor just down the hall in ICU a few weeks ago came by. Hillary was also the one who prepped Daphne by installing her central lines, A lines, etc before she was transported back over to Keck for the surgeries. Hillary watched me pray with Daphne when she was struggling just to survive. Hillary listened to me when I told her "I know she's important to you because you want to take care of all your patients, but she's important to me because she's my wife." Daphne of course didn't know her at all when she came in the room and introduced herself. I told Daphne that Hillary was here and did a lot to her in the room down the hall to keep her alive and prep her for transport. Daphne started to cry a little and Hillary teared up too saying "I'm really glad you are still here, you had to fight real hard that day. I'm just glad you are still here." It's really kind of amazing when nurses, doctors, and staff that saw her almost die, see her now.
                            This round of chemo is 5 days long. Just over 8 hours of chemo per day, and IV fluids and other stuff for most of the rest of the day. They have been moving up the start time for her chemo each day by a little, and today Bridey told them to get after it and get it in her now since she is handling it so well. She wants to have us done tomorrow afternoon or evening so we can go home! Woot woot! We expected to be here getting chemo until late tomorrow night and then come home Saturday morning, but we're hoping they get after it tomorrow early enough that we can go home and sleep in our beds tomorrow instead.
                            And now that Daphne has been through this round and everything is going well, we don't have to do a follow up visit next week. We come back for Round 3 of chemo, the VAC in or VAC/IE rotation, on December 27th and will stay for 3-4 days for the 24 hour per day administration that is required with VAC. She handled that one fine last time, so we're crossing our fingers that the next round is good too.
                            Oh, and I get to give her a shot 27 hours after she comes off chemo! "Don't piss me off woman or I'll stick you!" LOL The Neulasta that we have to take after 24 hours or so has passed following chemo, to boost white blood cells, has been delivered to the house and refrigerated so that I get to administer it to her instead of driving all the way down here to USC for a shot and then driving all the way back home.
                            Big thanks to everyone who keeps following these updates, sending well wishes, and prayers. We feel it. I'm still amazed at how well Daphne is handling all of this, and hope that it keeps going along like this.

Comment

SBG, I don't facebook, so could you pass on to Chad and Daphne That we are continuing to send love, thoughts and prayers for both of them and that we are very happy and proud of their progress! Thank-You in advance!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X