Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Everybody Doing For Thanksgiving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Everybody Doing For Thanksgiving?

It's a family thing, a real big deal. We're having some of our best friends on earth from relatively far away coming to visit. It'll be blast!

We're going to fry a turkey. A redneck thing. And there's always a fire. The oil boils over, it gets on the 9000 horsepower gas burner....that's part of the fun.

But we're in a no-burn zone. If we set our yard's grass on fire, it'll spread to the next five counties in 30 seconds if the wind is blowing. I didn't post this. I'm not responsible. Alcohol was not involved.
    Last edited by pdub; November 21, 2016, 04:21 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Gonna have an overfull house, 2 birds and 2 huge tables of food..
    Don't remember it being so fancy since I was a kiddie!

Comment

Company's Comin'

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Poco, always liked them! T-day, have to work but I think me and John might head up to the lake Friday night for a couple of days!
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Wife and I are going to see my Oma Thursday. Oma is 87, she still gets up at 5am and cooks the turkey, drives better than people half her age, cleans gutters, cuts grass, goes to market every Friday like she has the last 60+yrs. I love my Oma.

Friday I'm gonna cook a chicken for the wife and I. We used to do turkey but it ended up going to waste. We do chickens now, no waste, darn good.

Comment

going to visit family. Big meals, lots of cooking.
            The real meaning of thanksgiving, it has yet to leave the family gatherings.

I like this day.
            My worst thanksgiving ever was still good.
            I got drunk with my neighbor, he was a native american.
            A massachussetts descendant.

In fact. I gave him my unused fatigues from the military, he liked them.

"you know what man? We ARE thanksgiving."

anyway,
            Enjoy the get together. Most go without words of the original day...
            may it be with you in spirit.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; November 21, 2016, 07:16 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Tonight, visiting with my side over dinner... smoking my first turkey today... wish me luck!... Thursday, going to Tammy's side for the big Turkey day... they fry and bake turkeys, so there's a vast variety... yum yum... then friday, back to work... Tammy, tens, me, 12 hr shifts through the weekend, and sean, closing on black friday in the service center and manning an understaffed auto service center through the weekend...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working..

Comment

We're going to a small, nearby town that we haven't visited, just to expand our knowledge of our adopted State. Our buddies who we usually do Thanksgiving with are going to FL to visit their daughter so it's just ME and me this year. With The Kids spread all over the USA and Canada it's sadly virtually impossible to get together.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; November 22, 2016, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Going to visit my brother-in-law, who is always a great cook. He's asked me to bring a mincemeat pie, which is going to be a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find any canned mincemeat and have never tried to make one from scratch. So I plan on just chopping up a bunch of random fruit and throwing it in the pie, and hoping for the best.

Comment

Going to visit my brother-in-law, who is always a great cook. He's asked me to bring a mincemeat pie, which is going to be a bit of a challenge as I couldn't find any canned mincemeat and have never tried to make one from scratch. So I plan on just chopping up a bunch of random fruit and throwing it in the pie, and hoping for the best.
                      Canned mincemeat is not real mincemeat the way it was done when I was kid. Most people throw a bunch of raisins between 2 crusts and call that mincemeat. WRONGO.

True mincemeat has multiple meats in it, along with some fruit (apples, for one). It always uses real beef suet - chopped pieces of beef fat. True mincemeat is also heavily spiced - think cloves. Also - no sugar, but sweetened with molasses or a bit of honey. My great grandmother on Dad's side used to make it when I was a kid, and it was fantastic. It was a hearty pie with complex flavors, and wonderfully satisfying. Someone PLEASE bring back REAL mincement! (and not that British crap with mint in it)

What am I doing this Thanksgiving? I am smoking a buttload of Cornish Game Hens for the family meal. No turkey this year.
                      Last edited by studemax; November 22, 2016, 07:39 AM.
                      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

Canned mincemeat is not real mincemeat the way it was done when I was kid. Most people throw a bunch of raisins between 2 crusts and call that mincemeat. WRONGO.

What am I doing this Thanksgiving? I am smoking a buttload of Cornish Game Hens for the family meal. No turkey this year.
                        You know, I laughed at your comment - because a buttload of anything does not sound tasty. That said, I'd trade it for the hell that mine is going to be. Let's give a foretaste. We're going to relatives house. All of which are staunch union supporters... I swear I'm going to sabotage my own car so I don't have to go.

Fortunately, I don't have to get that drastic, between Walmart and Cabela's Thanksgiving day sales - the freeway will be utterly shut down.... ooooh, maybe I can foment a riot. Or, since I'm too lazy and it takes weeks to get tear gas out of my hair - I can simply turn myself into jail.

Anything but go to the fight that's going to be Thanksgiving day in Washington.
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Suggestion: Why don't you set up nice date with Mrs. SBG in small local town that you've never visited? Hey, it's working for me! Life's too short to spend holidays with folks who set your nerves on edge. Just explain that you two have decided that you need time to "reconnect" (that usually is met with an "OOOhhhhhh" like they understand that your marriage is on the rocks and this is a last-ditch effort. Let 'em think that - who cares??!!) Worth a try.

Dan

Comment

Darlene and I will be at home this year by ourselves with our 2 pot belly pigs. 8 1/2 yr. old "Peaches" and our newest, 6 week old "Lucilu"!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Comment

Poco fan as well! Like Rose of Cimmaron on this one

Comment

Working...
                              X