V16 Cadillac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V16 Cadillac

We had a 1930 Cadillac V16 donated to the Museum. It didn't run. Being the 'multi cylinder' guy (That's what I was told) I got to work on this really nice piece. here are a few pics.Click image for larger version

Name:	cady V16.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	1132443Click image for larger version

Name:	1930 v16.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1132444Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG3496.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1132445
    See my build at: www.1932auburnsedan.com

nice.
    can we hear it run?
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There are 2 tanks on the firewall. One for each bank of cylinders. These are the Fuel 'reservoirs' Vacuum pulls gas from the tank into these, and the fuel is gravity fed to the carbs. Unfortunately, the vacuum "sucks' (OK, it DOESN'T) and that is the problem. I can post more stuff if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
        nice.
        can we hear it run?
        I'll get a video of it running next week. It cranks over really,really slow, but fires off nice (now) and is really SMOOTH!

Comment

NICE!!!! I didn't realize that those were overhead valve. I suppose you'll have to keep it original but I'd be tempted to hide an electric vacuum pump somewhere. X2 on the "hear it run" request!

Dan

Comment

I would be tempted to hide an electric fuel pump some where!
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
              . I can post more stuff if you are interested.
              would asking suffice, or do I need to get Beagle to beg?
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by V12guy View Post
                I can post more stuff if you are interested.
                Yes please.
                Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                74 Nova Project
                66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                79 Chevy Truck Project
                1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                  I would be tempted to hide an electric fuel pump some where!
                  I know, but the tank has an internal mechanism that uses a float to shut off the Vacuum. NOT fuel..that line is always open.
                  The carbs cannot take any pressure,just gravity fuel fill from the tank.
                  Additionally,the manifold vacuum is too high for the fuel system (it powers the wipers and brake booster)
                  So there's a tiny vacuum pump on the bellhousing, driven off of the camshaft,that is supposed to work for the fuel system.
                  But you guys already knew that right?

Comment

We're going to concentrate on getting the pump working again.
                    Last edited by V12guy; November 23, 2016, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Interesting! Looks like it ought to be rebuildable. I'm guessing it just needs a little tiny bit of suction?

Dan

Comment

So , I was that up there last July 4th . It looks familiar
                        . And yes I'm interested in it . Just run a long skinny tube to the passenger seat . It will serve two purposes .......
                        Last edited by Dan Barlow; December 3, 2016, 07:24 AM.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

That's one unique unit to work on! Super envious, I've only ever seen one V16 Cadillac in person, and it wasn't as sharp as that. Didn't get to see the innards either
                          Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Thanks for posting this, Mr. V12 Guy! That is a beautiful coupe. I love the OHV Caddy V-16, they are a work of art. I look forward to seeing (and especially hearing) it run on video. Dan, the first series V16 was an OHV engine was produced from 1930 - 1937. Oddly enuff, the second series was a flathead!
                            The V16 Cad was the first engine design to be styled by the art department, and was intentionally built with those clean, uncluttered lines to beautify the cars engine compartment. Also, it was the first engine with automatic hydraulic valve lash adjustment.
                            I hope the following is complimentary to this thread, not a highjack, but let me know if it is: In about 2010, I was visiting David Blake, who has an old hot rod built in the 40's. It is a 1917 Dodge roadster built in the style of a "T" bucket. And it is powered by a Caddy V-16! It has multi carbs and rumbley exhaust, and the sound when he fired it was SO awesome!

That inspired me to start searching for a V-16 to build my own hot rod. After 3 0r 4 years, I finally found one and drove to the east coast to get it. I haven't started on the car yet though. Here are pics of it:

Comment

L.ove the close up shots of the engine
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X