Hey Patrick - Tire Pressure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Patrick - Tire Pressure?

When you ran THE Silver Bullet at Daytona, did you do anything about tire pressure?

Fast Ed fed me the absolute perfect baseline tire pressure to go with Red's particular tires to run on a road course. That's where the tires and brakes and suspension and everything gets worked to the absolute max.

To mash the gas down and hold it down on the high banks, did you run what you brung from the street, or do the tires even get hot at all on that track? Any advice would be loved and appreciated as always.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Running goodyear assurance radials that have run every one of the six HRPT long-hauls... I have replaced two of them for pothole damage... When running short distances we normally run maximum recommended pressure on the sidewall... for power tour we run run 34 psi cold... just the theory that we don't want to have heating isues in the tires over the long haul...I also do not recommend running street tires under racing conditions for more that a few laps at a time...the sidewalls are not designed for that side loading... we only ran for five laps total... other than that , my high speed experience has been limited to nothing more than isolated country roads at high cruising speed...and the occasional dirt track run as a teenager. my best guess would be 35 psi... the same pressure recommended on the shelby mustangs...(all corners). I would not run more than probably 10 laps without checking the tires for wear and temperature... remember...your alignment is for a crowned highway, with a compromise for turning both ways, ride quality, and fuel economy... not an all out assault on a high bank oval super speedway... I only ran that fast in the bullet because I didn't know any better...I later discovered how woefully lacking I had been in preparing the car when I discovered that i was running on the bump-stops and had ground some of the skirting off due to the unexpected g-forces..your Mustang is better prepared, because you ask for and accept other's advise... You have had much more advanced driving training... you can do this... just realize your limitations and err on the side of safety... You'll do great!
    Last edited by silver_bullet; December 2, 2016, 06:32 PM.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

This is probably no help but I'll throw it out there. I run Mutt's tires at 60 all the way around but I'm trying to counter rolling resistance and I have no corners to deal with. Been told by guys mush more experienced than I am that the high TP also keeps the heat down but I never think to shoot 'em with the IR heat gun so I don't have any real data, which I COULD get. If you go past a HF or similar it might be worth it to buy a IR gun and take measurements. Hopefully some of go-around-corners guys will chime in with acceptable tire temp values or maybe that's on Google.

But probably no help.

Dan

Comment

Thank you Patrick. Thank you so much Sir.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
        X