A Useless Thought Before Bedtime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Useless Thought Before Bedtime

I declare I'm tired, a long week at work. My mind is wandering, played some Crossy Road, that didn't go well, headed to bed way early. Just a long week.

Spaced out, I just had a profound thought, probably one of my last profound thoughts before bed this evening. Back in the day, all the way back then when I was a young buck, we watched football religiously, whatever game was on. Monday Night Football included. This may have been before a lot of you were born, I don't know. They had Howard Cosell and Dandy Don Meredith and the preppy guy Frank Gifford. They were all great talkers.

But at some point, the point I'm struggling to get to, for a short time they had OJ Simpson in the booth for Monday Night Football. Let's don't go down the OJ Simpson route, please let's don't. Please let's don't. But I'm invoking his name for a reason, please read ahead.

This was back in the day when OJ was percieved to be an American hero. Back when he was doing the commercials for somebody where he was running through the airport and leaping over suitcases that were in the way, I don't even remember which company. Again, probably lots of y'all were not around for that, maybe a lot of y'all were, and you had to be watching analog TV through an antenna to see it.

There's one vivid moment I remember from all of that, OJ talking on Monday Night Football. Some guy went for a real long run, almost the length of the field. He got tackled at about the 20 yard line, headed toward the end zone. OJ in the booth started spontaneously yelling, "He missed a touchdown, he missed a touchdown, show that AGAIN!"

This was before the days where the talkers could use Paint to draw circles and arrows on the TV screen and everything, but they COULD do replay, and STOP the video. So they rewound it and played it again. OJ was adamant...."STOP it right THERE." The producers in the trailer did, and OJ said, "Look RIGHT THERE. He could have cut to the left and scored." Yep, there's a hole in the coverage. OJ was pissed that the runner didn't do it, because OJ could have and would have done it. He SAW it, that opening. Because he could "see" the whole field. That may have been what got him fired from that broadcasting job, no telling what was going on behind the scenes, but that was really impressive, he could "see" the field.

The Crossy Road video game is like that, stuff going all directions and being to see or anticipate an opening, based on flow. And I believe that translates to a race track. It's all about flow. See it quick enough, calculate, and go for it.

That's all I have. Just a commentary. Pretty sure I'm going to bed after a long week.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I remember OJ running, then flying through airports for Hertz, and appearing in the Police Squad movies. I recall him broadcasting right up until he was arrested for double murder. I thought he was decent as a sideline and color analyst.

Comment

peewee might be missing decades.
      I am barely 44 and remember the football and real broadcasters. Especially mondays.
      Antennaes and CRT.

Simpson was a hero. He is an example for stars on their way up.

in the military, dying is an honor.
      Simpson is to the purple heart, with a leader making up any old record that fits.

I got treated bad for being the strongest the fastest, sharpest eye sight, and telling ladies off.

watch out for lampreys. It is part of the football game of life.
      You would not believe my real record fighting with a V.A. system.
      holy shit.
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 2, 2016, 10:11 PM.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Why? Stay up and visit with the gremlins that grow out of the woodwork...

Comment

Working...
        X