Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Metal fab equipment help, what to look for.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal fab equipment help, what to look for.

Welp, Christmas and the day I got slapped on the behind by a doctor are only days away..
    I'm thinking of adding a plasma or a tig to my 220v mig.. but not sure what unit would be better to have,
    if you had a mig. what item would be harder to live without,,?? the plasma or the tig.?
    and what should one be looking for in features..
    Thanks..

It's either this or heads ofr a bbc

I'd have to go plasma.

I found once shaping smaller things, lots of heat.. drills can't get through the hardening.
    plasma will work at all metal states, all the time.

heads have a hoax. don't spend too much.
    Cams are the brain for your head.

the only constipated head I ever encontered was a 3 main bearing subaru engine. Had to have a port for each cylinder.
    spent too much there..
    but I am a car nut.

american stuff never failed, you gain velocity on tight ports...
    big heads are for aluminum lovers of the 1320 foot path of insane.

I know what goes a long day.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; December 21, 2016, 05:32 AM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

You got MIG, get plasma.. If you do lots f cages, etc, then tig.. We do all out cages with stick welder, cut everything with plasma.. Torch holds too much heat, porta band takes time, chop saw too sparky..

Comment

Depends what you're doing. Me, personally, would probably use a plasma a lot more than a tig, because I have enough skill to run a plasma, but not enough to run a tig very well.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have all three - I got a cheap ebay plasma for less than $400. For the hobbyist use I put it through - I couldn't justify the cost of a name brand plasma.

If you do allot of fab work, or rust / body repair - the plasma is a serious time and hassle saver. There are so many things you can do with it that you can't do with any number of other tools. Sure - there's a lot you can do with a sawzall, cut off wheel, etc. But you can do it ALL with a plasma, faster. (unless you're cutting super thick plate, then you need a torch kit and a big one)
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
          X