Am I just a dinosaur?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I just a dinosaur?

The wife and I just got back from an overnighter to Pismo Beach and decided to rent a car for the 525 mile round trip.
    I mistakenly chose a 2016 Chevy Malibu, what a miserable little machine!
    The trunk wouldn't open with the key fob and there was no other means of doing it without folding down the rear seat and reaching for the emergency release.
    We had to put our luggage in the back seat. Why do carmakers think a simple keyhole is so difficult anymore!
    The seats were rock hard and when I got the steering wheel (which is too small by the way) adjusted just right, I couldn't see the top half of the speedo.
    The roof pillars are so thick because of the airbags I couldn't see out, trying to back up was a pain in the ass. No wonder all four corners of this thing were already scraped.
    The steering fights you back at every turn to the point that my arms were sore.
    The suspension was way too stiff, I felt every bump in the road.

I would have been much more comfortable in the Crown Vic, or even the '85 Corolla. In the past year or so I've rented a few cars and although they weren't as bad as this thing
    most of them had the same issues. Do most new cars suck this bad or am I just getting old?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-chevrolet-malibu_100538489_h.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	747.0 KB
ID:	1137662
    Just groovin' to my own tune.

IMO, the Malibu has been meant to be a fleet car since the day it was born. There's no hope for it, it's amazing that at some point NASCAR raced replicas of it. Maybe they still do, I don't know, and I'm glad I don't know.

In all of my years flying and driving rentals, the worst one I ever sat in, years ago, was a Subaru Forester. That thing.....that was the longest week ever, just waiting to get shed of that thing. Everything else paled in comparison, as far as bad.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's Government Motors. WTH do you expect?
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

HAHA there is a button on trunk to open it..
        sorry .. but , there is an electric popper switch, normally at the trim or the lic plate.. to pop open the trunk after you unlocked the car..

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
          IMO, the Malibu has been meant to be a fleet car since the day it was born. There's no hope for it, it's amazing that at some point NASCAR raced replicas of it. Maybe they still do, I don't know, and I'm glad I don't know.

In all of my years flying and driving rentals, the worst one I ever sat in, years ago, was a Subaru Forester. That thing.....that was the longest week ever, just waiting to get shed of that thing. Everything else paled in comparison, as far as bad.
          I agree.. until 1983-4-5? and older. I had a 74. I have always wanted their mid 60s B-pillar versions. Freiburger and Dulcich play with one. That appearance is my favorite 4 door of all time.

I drove a chrysler 200 with 9 gears auto for a long ride to new york. All was well until smelling that stupid aluminum engine. Reminded me of subarus but jackhammering sideways instead. Been bad like that since the late 70s... transverse jackhammers.

my truck has that steering oddity: wheel tilt just right, cant see all the gauges. Seat is too high I guess. for 96-98 that was indeed a unique trait. They dropped the seat way down for the next generation.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

At least they're so ugly, I'd never consider buying one.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

pillars suck on everything these days... the rest of your list can be fixed by F150. This is probably a Chevy allergy you are having.
              Last edited by Beagle; December 24, 2016, 08:28 AM.
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                It's Government Motors. WTH do you expect?
                No, it's "Genital Motors". Get it right stude..

Comment

Gary -

1) Yes, you ARE getting old.

2) Like me, you ARE a dinosaur. Accept and embrace it.

3) No, they don't make 'em like they used to, both good and bad. Remember, 250K miles is now common and expected when 100K was extraordinary a few decades ago.

4) We love our HHR but newer cars ARE different. Haven't operated a new Malibu so I can't say you're wrong.

4) (Stude) The Government has LONG been out of GM - let it go. GM is trying to make a buck in today's climate and they have some hits and some misses. This sounds like a miss.

Dan

Comment

Rented this a couple weeks ago for Gail's b-day...loved it. Don't ask me to fix anything though...

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                      Rented this a couple weeks ago for Gail's b-day...loved it. Don't ask me to fix anything though...

Fiat?

But more importantly, Happy Birthday to Gail! Tell her I send love and best wishes for many more. I sure miss her on here.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

But more importantly, Happy Birthday to Gail! Tell her I send love and best wishes for many more. I sure miss her on here.

Dan
                        ^^^^^What Dan said.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Will do.

With a gutted B53 9 mega-ton (i.e., huge) bomb at the Nuclear Test Museum in Las Vegas (so we don't gamble so much, instead we just go to places to look at stuff). This honey is kind-of the 1974 455 Olds Delta-88 of thermonuclear weapons, all gone to the scrapyard now in favor of smaller, lighter, more-to-the-point devices.

Comment

Don't let go, Gail, it might blow up!

Back onto being dinosaurs.. Had the 454 q-jet warming up before leaving our xmas dinner, son went to move it, shut it off cuz the choke was making it idle fast.. Kids all know chokeless or efi?..

Comment

this is why the newest vehicle in our family fleet is the 2003 S-10 ZR2... Government or Genital Motors? All of the big three have in one way or another have taken the hand up when times were bad... GM and FOMOCO at least have remained American Brands... I wish MOPAR had done the same....
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X