Fast Versus Slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Versus Slow

I've mentioned here I couldn't stop watching the in-car video from Red running Daytona. What a life-thrill. And I mentioned that I watched the Rolex 24 from Daytona this past weekend on TV. I was the one who watched hours of it. If anybody did. No telling how many folks did, but I did. Hours of it.

They had the same thing going on there that we had going on during the track day. Much faster cars, much slower cars on the same track. Passing strategy, etc. But we were all amateurs trying to sort it all out at 120 or 140 or 150 mph in the trioval, man that was fun.

The Rolex 24, the slow cars were fast. And the most amazing thing was, they ran for 24 hours. That's gotta be a boon for the manufacturers even though nobody was in the stands. In the GT-L class the Ford GT beat the Porsche 911 to the line at the end of the race. That's gotta sting if you're a German. A slap in the face.

And they all go SO fast. I watched that for hours and then I watched Red's video from that same track, sort of a trophy, I've driven there, too. Gyah Red is SOOOOO slow, I don't need to watch that again. And I won't watch that video again. GYAH that's slow. SO slow. GYAH.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

that was once one of my favorite things.
    the 24hrs.

it is going against my will for dynamics. I let it go..

there is a change in physiology, when 200 becomes a norm.
    its kinda like advancing timing.

if you could see the spark 30 degrees ahead of nothing happening.. it would seem weird, until it all comes together.
    I stayed slow for a long time, very disabled.
    I was once very fast, casually.

the trucks I have been driving, it is slowly taking me out of that coma.
    Glad you are having fun at the track, I am still working on the average 90mph maine speed on the highway.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Same with derby.. Driving you get sweaty and tired, watch the sme thing on video.. Pffft. Slow!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        I've mentioned here I couldn't stop watching the in-car video from Red running Daytona. What a life-thrill. And I mentioned that I watched the Rolex 24 from Daytona this past weekend on TV. I was the one who watched hours of it. If anybody did. No telling how many folks did, but I did. Hours of it.

They had the same thing going on there that we had going on during the track day. Much faster cars, much slower cars on the same track. Passing strategy, etc. But we were all amateurs trying to sort it all out at 120 or 140 or 150 mph in the trioval, man that was fun.

The Rolex 24, the slow cars were fast. And the most amazing thing was, they ran for 24 hours. That's gotta be a boon for the manufacturers even though nobody was in the stands. In the GT-L class the Ford GT beat the Porsche 911 to the line at the end of the race. That's gotta sting if you're a German. A slap in the face.

And they all go SO fast. I watched that for hours and then I watched Red's video from that same track, sort of a trophy, I've driven there, too. Gyah Red is SOOOOO slow, I don't need to watch that again. And I won't watch that video again. GYAH that's slow. SO slow. GYAH.
        This is why we call it a need for speed..
        When you first started driving.. 45-55 mph seems fast ,but after a while it didn't seem so fast.. and you tend to go faster..
        Same with this hobby.. I found that at first my high 14 sec. car seemed fast.. then you want more,, and then 13's seem fast.. then 12's then 11 you get the point..
        I'm sure your first track days the first laps that was much slower than your last few ,felt fast.. but if you ran that lap time now it feel , well. Slow..
        This is the same as watching video of your car lap after watching pro's in much faster and costly machines..
        Same reason the sportsman or bracket racing empties the stands after the pro or semi pro classes ran that were faster. it makes the lower class guys seem really slow..
        And why I'll never understand the NHRA class running order from an at the track fan.. but that's another subject..

I'll bet that even after watching the 24 hour laps then your lap.. tho you felt it looked slow.. it didn't feel or look slow as you ran the lap or laps.. it felt fast.. And that is what matters..
        Now if you do it again and the 2nd time doesn't feel fast, then you'll need to fix that issue.. The old adage , some is good, more is better and to much is just right comes to mind..
        You runs/laps in red were not slow.. even your 2nd time at other tracks were not slow, but might have felt it as you got more comfortable with the speed and your skill.
        That is why seat time is so important..
        If your laps after the blower seem slow to you,, it's your comfort level of your skill and of the car.. and in that case it's time for a turbo ls.. swap

Comment

here is a excerpt from Jay Lacklens book about his first low level flight, 300knots..
          a b-52 bomber.

(Excerpt from "Flying the Line, an Air Force Pilot's Journey," book one. Book series web site: saigon-tea.com.)

The ability to maneuver at speed is deceptive. The brain becomes accustomed to maneuvering in the base traffic pattern at relatively low speed. However, the ability to turn while screaming across the ground low level is vastly different. This became apparent flying through the spires of Monument Valley in Arizona, where many John Wayne Western movies were filmed. In my mind, I could snake through them with ease, but the additional speed made this surprisingly difficult. I was moving so fast I had to lead turns far ahead of where I thought I would need to. Of course, I was having a blast doing it. I couldn’t believe the American people paid me a generous salary to fly this huge airplane through such picturesque landscapes, to hot-rod across the desert with wild abandon, the throttles for eight powerful engines in my hand.

I went through this transition in the boom pod of a kc135, as well as being in the cockpit, looking out.
          At the peak of my most work hours, my friends and I slapped together a monte carlo, v8.

I did not know it was doing 165, and outran police without intention. My beeper was buzzing, military was calling. I did not know anyone was there on the dark highway. Someone told me later.

Working into the slow climax is the best, a wild stab at the brain to change is dangerous. Like a good story.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 10, 2017, 09:08 AM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
          X