The Monster Clash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Monster Clash

So Monster is the new NASCAR Cup Sponsor. I 'had" to watch the race today because it's Daytona. We were there driving on that track, it's just so cool watching an event at that track. They were supposed to run it last night, they got rained out.

It was another plate race, throw a towel over all of them for the whole thing. And it was indeed an exciting finish to that one. Amazing, I'm glad that on Track Day, we weren't out there mixing it up like those guys do, and they're going all of 50 mph faster than we were.

But nobody was there, no fans in the stands. It looked like not a soul. I'm sure I don't understand the economics of it, but I don't see how NASCAR can survive financially. It has to be TV money, doesn't it? I'm drawing a blank....
    Last edited by pdub; February 19, 2017, 01:53 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

big market gurus for sure.
    they even took in ricer drifting and everything with 8 cylinder minds avoid...and made it popular.

the extras they may commit to, could be interesting. Making and keeping stars.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      So Monster is the new NASCAR Cup Sponsor.
      Honestly, I didn't realize anybody knew ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Honestly, I didn't realize anybody knew ...

I sure didn't until last night. Where did you hide all of that money Steve, you've been holding out on us....

Comment

Mr. Monster, can you sponsor Mutt the Race Truck? I'm a really nice guy and Mutt would cost a lot less than that NASCAR gig. And we don't have hardly any butts in the seats, either (or even seats unless they bring their own).

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; February 19, 2017, 03:42 PM.

Comment

Dan, I get first dibs. I want Monster to sponsor Red The Gas Leaking Fun Car, and you can get in line behind us. Whatever sponsor money is left over after that, that's up to y'all.

Comment

just add a sticker. Pretend, like a turbo miata.
              Previously boxer3main

Comment

But nobody was there, no fans in the stands. It looked like not a soul.
                That's the way it is with Speedweeks. No one shows up until the main event - the Daytona 500.
                It's like pre-season sports... Only the real fans show for that.
                The season opener - it's no holds barred.
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

That's the way it is with Speedweeks. No one shows up until the main event - the Daytona 500.
                  It's like pre-season sports... Only the real fans show for that.
                  The season opener - it's no holds barred.
                  We went on the tram ride when we were at the track. Twice. It took me twice, the first time I thought I mis-heard the tour guide. How many zeroes.

At Daytona, they have deleted all of the grandstands on the back straightaway, you can look straight through there and see the airport, there it is. The front grandstands, they've upgraded. They built them as high as the FAA will allow, being so close to an airport. Riding along, the tram rattling and soaking it all in, I thought the guy said it was 40 million dollars for the tri-oval grandstands upgrade. Looking at it, I thought that was a bit of a high number. But I don't play with millions of dollars, so how should I know?

We went for the tram ride a second time, I wanted to get as familiar as possible with the infield part where we would be driving. Second time, I heard it, those tri-oval grandstands were four HUNDRED million dollars. Crimminy chickens....where did that much money come from? They will never in 40 hells get that money back, not in 50 more years of racing when nobody shows up to watch.
                  Last edited by pdub; February 19, 2017, 05:38 PM.

Comment

daytona 500 winner
                    Kurt Busch
                    his team is sponsored by Monster.

after leading no laps, shoots like a rocket to the finish.
                    Yeah. Right.

They need to go back looking like brand names and allowed to mount 50 cal.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

That was one of the most interesting Daytona 500's I've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                        That was one of the most interesting Daytona 500's I've ever seen.
                        very dynamical. The stage setup is very good.
                        The frame rate across the net being live.. a lot is getting better.
                        I was watching from a canadian source of all things american..

Nice to see the young driver interviews at the end, 2nd and 3rd place.
                        Previously boxer3main

Comment

As these races go it was entertaining..
                          Almost all the big names got kicked out..
                          Not too sure about the new 60-60-80 format.
                          Ending racer's day if they go into the garage is kind of unsafe to do repairs on pit lanes..
                          No new parts to fix a broke car.. Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            As these races go it was entertaining..
                            Almost all the big names got kicked out..
                            Not too sure about the new 60-60-80 format.
                            Ending racer's day if they go into the garage is kind of unsafe to do repairs on pit lanes..
                            No new parts to fix a broke car.. Huh?
                            those were bent or kicked off to one side.
                            Not about parts.

I was surprised at juniors hack on the front right.. some tubing cut away leaving the tire wide open.
                            Glad he came back in.

they were at 193mph you know.

I liked Gordons commentary on the changes, he is not even old and was surprised at what that did for position changes.
                            A good thing happening.
                            Rules are so tight, one can believe whatever they want for a winner.
                            Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                            X