500,000 Gallons of Paint - Comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500,000 Gallons of Paint - Comments

There's a pretty cool story on the Fox News home page about a WWII PT Boat that has been restored to its original form and it's back up and running. It's easy to find if you're interested. Cool story.

The thing that fascinated me was the version that was posted this afternoon, it's now been altered. The original story as posted said the team that was restoring the boat used 500,000 gallons of paint on it.

That's what it said. As usual, the comments below the story are a whole lot more entertaining than the story itself. In the comments, somebody made note of the 500,000 gallons of paint on a PT Boat, they said, I'll paraphrase, and even the comments related to that are gone from below the story now, but the comment was like, "500,000 gallons of paint? Why don't you let a grownup review your story before you post it?"

Every bit of that got deleted. HahHAHHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I see WAY TOO MANY typos these days in websites, TV shows, newspapers, and magazines that should know better. I mean - we have spell checker on nearly all word processing programs these days, but people are too arrogant or stupid to use them. Any grief they get, they deserve - and more.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      I see WAY TOO MANY typos these days in websites, TV shows, newspapers, and magazines that should know better. I mean - we have spell checker on nearly all word processing programs these days, but people are too arrogant or stupid to use them. Any grief they get, they deserve - and more.
      Stude I'm still wishing you would remind me which valid news outlet to watch. You said it one time, and then it got away from me. I'm old that way. I forget stuff and then I can't find it again.

Comment

Stude I'm still wishing you would remind me which valid news outlet to watch. You said it one time, and then it got away from me. I'm old that way. I forget stuff and then I can't find it again.
        They all suck - just some more than others. It does help if you have a clue and can sort out the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

By the way, Fox updated the story and now it's down to 300 gallons of paint - which sounds more reasonable.
        Last edited by studemax; March 10, 2017, 10:34 PM.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Journalism as a whole is in a pathetic state. You gotta verify everything from multiple sources, consider those sources and the angle they are pushing, discard the most obvious offenders, read between the lines, look for things that make you feel uncomfortable about your point of view and make you think, disregard anything that tells you how you should feel about a situation, then take whatever is left over with a huge dose of cynicism and skeptical doubt.

And that's just to get a halfway decent weather report.

Don't get me started on what passes for news lately.
          Last edited by tedly; March 10, 2017, 11:14 PM.
          I'm probably wrong

Comment

Ehhhhhhh, maybe the painter had the psi to high..

Comment

When I was working at Qantas, we painted one of our Boeing 747-400's with Aboriginal artwork that has become to be known as our eye-catching Dreamtime livery, called 'Wunala Dreaming'. The weight of the paint added to the aircraft was ridiculous !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                When I was working at Qantas, we painted one of our Boeing 747-400's with Aboriginal artwork that has become to be known as our eye-catching Dreamtime livery, called 'Wunala Dreaming'. The weight of the paint added to the aircraft was ridiculous !
                Gallons?

Comment

an air force B-52 bomber gains 300 pounds.
                  A kc135 about the same.
                  of course, we were all onboard to die...
                  maybe they figured paint was doing nothing anyway.
                  why waste money for dead people flying.
                  Very smart of them.

those planes are real warm on a day like today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	coldrcd.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	1149329

Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm dumbfounded that American Airlines painted all of their shiny, polished aluminum aircraft from nose to tail. I guess it is cheaper to haul that paint around than polish aluminum.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                      Gallons?
                      Can't remember how many gallons, but it added about 1,100 pounds to the aircraft and we even had a separate 744 simulator to account for the performance difference of Wunala Dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        I'm dumbfounded that American Airlines painted all of their shiny, polished aluminum aircraft from nose to tail. I guess it is cheaper to haul that paint around than polish aluminum.
                        Although they saved money on fuel due to the lighter aircraft, they spent it all on corrosion protection. The polished aluminum also had a clear lacquer finish anyhow.

Corrosion protection is the primary purpose of paint, not company logos. A fleet of 300 aircraft costs the airline over $3.6m per year on just the additional fuel burn to haul the paint around all year. I'm sure they have all done their due-diligence on cost benefits analysis better than me.

Comment

IF you applied 500,000 gallons of paint to a PT boat, how big would it be? I'm picturing it like 3 feet bigger in all dimensions. And what a horror show what it was time to strip it for a repaint.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Although they saved money on fuel due to the lighter aircraft, they spent it all on corrosion protection. The polished aluminum also had a clear lacquer finish anyhow.

Corrosion protection is the primary purpose of paint, not company logos. A fleet of 300 aircraft costs the airline over $3.6m per year on just the additional fuel burn to haul the paint around all year. I'm sure they have all done their due-diligence on cost benefits analysis better than me.
                            I'm with you Steve, I just thought it was a horrific break from a long tradition. I'm sure the costs analysis dictated the change.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              IF you applied 500,000 gallons of paint to a PT boat, how big would it be? I'm picturing it like 3 feet bigger in all dimensions. And what a horror show what it was time to strip it for a repaint.

Dan
                              HHHAhahaHah!!!! When you put it that way, it would probably sit lower and lower and finally sink while you were filling it up with gas.

Comment

Working...
                              X