Milk and Bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milk and Bread

The folks at the tire store today fixed Red's wheel weights up just fine. They clear the front calipers. And no charge, those guys are the best. They even apologized for messing up something they had no idea they were messing up. Heck, it was my fault. Unit took the tires and wheels over there in Bubba, no car to go with them. How could they possibly know where to not put the weights? Good deal. Too good really. I wanted to pay them but they wouldn't take it. Now THAT's service. I'll go back. I know where to go.

While I was in the lobby at the tire store I was sitting beside a guy who was buried in his smart phone. For about 45 minutes at least. At some point he glanced up and looked outside, it was snowing. He stood up and marched around looking out at the snow (it's 40 degrees outside) and then he came talking directly to me. I guess I looked available, his sounding board. He said, "Look at that <bad word>, they're going to close the stores. They're going to close the ROADS. They'll even close the JAIL, they won't even ARREST anybody anymore! And I'm sitting here waiting on TIRES!!!" He was lit up, animated.

Uhhh okay. About that time they called me into the shop to look at Red's wheels. I got away from the ranting guy with the Alabama hat on.

My plan was to leave the tire store and go to the grocery store. It's all connected, in the same parking lot. I THOUGHT I was going to the grocery store. It took 5 minutes just to crawl past it, it was a madhouse, not a parking spot anywhere. Apparently the word got out that it's going to snow and everybody had to panic and go for milk and bread.

I've lived in the South all of my life and I do not and I never will understand that syndrome.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

S"all those Southern folks lacking teeths.....
    soak da bread or dippit..😅

Comment

Peewee's right - it's a weird Southern thing here in the US. If there's any sign of possible weather (other than sunshine) there is a panic at the grocery stores while everyone buys bread, milk, and here in Wilmington, bottled water (to flush the toilet?). Anyhow, no one gets the important stuff like jerky or beer (if that's your thing) or in my case Caffeine-free Diet Coke (which I keep in stock at all times). You would think ice might be critical in the event of a hurricane - they're generally in warm weather - but evidently not. As a transplanted Yankee (that's person from the Northern states here in Dixie and it's NOT a compliment!)) I'm totally bemused every time it happens though I guess I should expect it by now.

Dan
      Last edited by DanStokes; March 11, 2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Don't feel bad Pdub... the lunacy is spreading... have lived in northern Iowa most of my life... and the preppers do it here too...all looking forward to doomsday or the zombie apocalypse....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I remember panic even in southern new england, born and raised.

In Maine, I was really on my own at 17, went animal.
          Just the 10% humidity in the tundra wind can kill.. the temperature part is easy.

A special forces recruiter said I was built like a deer, lifting twice as much, when I got into the physical exam for gulf 1.

Today, I stock up, think 6 months ahead of seasons, talk to steel as a future teller...
          I keep a generator, a portable jump starter...

and that is just in the public housing I finally dove into.

I laugh to think if I had one of those vlog channels the kids on you tube share today...
          back when I was totally on my own.

I drive a fellow disabled vet 222 miles in the truck I welded myself...
          something about confidence goes unquestioned.

it is called actions.

Unlike the fags that cannibalize..

anyway, milk and bread before a storm used to be a New England joke.. some panics took that literally.
          in any event power is going to be gone, or heat.
          milk and bread is about the most worthless thing you could get.

Someone had their way in a bad way helping the un-snowbound happy people.

advice:
          you are better off with a claw hammer and a can of chef boyardee.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 11, 2017, 10:08 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

They do it here in Kansas, too. Yes - it's weird.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Here in Indy its eggs ,milk , and bread . I joke that they're making french toast if they get snowed in .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                advice:
                you are better off with a claw hammer and a can of chef boyardee.
                Barry that's about one of the truest statements I've read this year.

Milk and bread? Shhhiiittttt.. Southerners wouldn't survive a midwest winter.
                When a storm hits here we buy beer, meat, and ammo.
                Some folks fill up their bathtubs (with water)..
                There's at least a cord of wood ready to burn too (for those of us with woodburners)

We have a generator and some canned and dry goods. Don't need much more than that.
                Last edited by tardis454; March 12, 2017, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Southerners wouldn't survive a midwest winter.
                  That is so completely the truth. That is what makes the irrational behavior all the more ridiculous.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                  X