Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guess who bought the Booth-Arons engine dyno?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess who bought the Booth-Arons engine dyno?

Here's a postscript to one of the posts from last week: Booth-Arons Racing Enterprises assets up for auction. Among other things, they had a Superflow SF-901 up for sale.

No, I didn't buy it myself. My boss did. The dyno is on its way to DIYAutoTune HQ this week. We've been keeping our eyes open for an engine dyno for a while, and it looks like we managed to get more than just a dyno - we picked up one with a bit of history.

congratulations
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Matt - A bit of dyno wisdom. Supeflows can suffer deterioration of the power absorbtion unit (PAU) impeller or even the impeller housing from the load water. Additionally, IIRC there is a self-sacrificing mag plug in the load water cavity that will go away with time. The mag plug is a maintenance item and should be changed periodically. The impeller can be replaced but if the impeller housing has failed you're looking at a new PAU. So there's always a risk in buying a used water brake. I hope the boss got into it cheaply enough that you'll be OK either way.

As you set it up be sure that the load water is cleaned and that the cooling water gets some treatment as well. We used a canister from (IIRC) Calgon to clean the water w/o adding any sodium which is NOT good for aluminum. If you want to rely on the numbers, also be sure you have the calibration rig and that you USE IT on a regular schedule. You need to verify the load cell reading with a dead weight cal and also verify the speed readout or you can't get valid HP values. The load cell on those is pretty stable but if you can't prove the numbers they aren't much better than no numbers at all.

If you have any dyno questions PM me and I'll send you my phone number.

Dan

Comment

Thanks, I've passed this along. We'll see what condition this is in soon.
        Last edited by Matt Cramer; March 13, 2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Will be fun to play with !

Comment

quite an auction.

dz302 crank in the mix, pontiac stuff.. 389, 455, and AMC.
            4 bolt 454. Never seen one in real life.

tricky to document.
            even found a pallot of 305 chevy...the bad casting years.

it is like declaring "L98" ("sporty" 350) and finding all 26 variants.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; March 13, 2017, 08:54 AM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
            X