Front door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front door

would it be better to order a door and have it installed or just go to the window place and tell them what I want. I need the door, storm door, frame, and two side lights that need to be made to fit. Steel or fiberglass door.

It honestly depends on your skillset... If you are an experienced person at doing door installs, it would be a good project... a multiple piece doorset is not for the faint of heart... also, don't go to the big box stores first... gather information and quotes from a reputable established lumberyard... a front door should last at least 20 years if properly installed, and it is the first thing a prospective buyer touches...make it a quality piece...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

the current door is all glass and the wood frame warps and the side windows are single pane. whole thing is pretty drafty. cold weather is gone now, so I can drag my feet for another year.

Comment

might save the price of an install in energy savings alone... check with the power company to see if a rebate may be available to cut costs... also tax breaks may be there to!!
        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by stu yoakam View Post
          the current door is all glass and the wood frame warps and the side windows are single pane. whole thing is pretty drafty. cold weather is gone now, so I can drag my feet for another year.
          OUCH, That is all I can say.. I'd go look at doors at your favorite suppler.. and be ready for sticker shock.. They make complete one piece premade units with the door and the side glass panels.. with the door itself 36-38-40" wide.. But be ready.. they tend to be big bucks.. 900.00-4000.00+ depending what you want.. like..
          If you've installed a pre hung door before it's about the same.. and unless you find issues around the door at your house it be fit,shim, install, etc..
          I've installed pre hung doors here at my house, but I think with a door that costly, I might just step aside and watch..

Comment

Window store said around 4k. Lumber yard said around $800 plus install and they could recommend local installers.

Comment

This is why I steer clear of "Window Stores"
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Door will have to wait for a while. Roof has to be redone and its already rainy season.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  This is why I steer clear of "Window Stores"
                  Quality lumber yards here handle Anderson, Pella, and a few others. I used Anderson doors and casement windows when I built the house in 2000 and they still look and function like new, while not being overly expensive.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                  X