A Step Back Unshave The Shaved Door Handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Step Back Unshave The Shaved Door Handles

Although my Camaro has had shaved door handles since ´96 give or take a year and was imported so,
    I was given the "option" at last year´s annual "test" to reinstall door handles or remove the car from the road.....

So here we go, I was lucky the holes were capped and not cut out and patched.

I did score two doors here in town which were destined to go on the car but I figured this way would be cheaper and quicker.

Harsh! I'm guessing the new doors came with the hardware you need?
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

why do they require door handles?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The "new" doors gave up all the parts for me to install handles.
        The car "rulebook" states that doors must be able to be opened by mechanical means from the outside.
        If I lock my doors from the inside that rule is useless.

Comment

I didn't know you had moved to California. (That's the headquarters for stupid auto regulation here in the US.)

Dan
          Last edited by DanStokes; April 3, 2017, 05:02 PM.

Comment

That's just nuts . Like they couldn't just bust the glass if there was an emergency .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I tried that excuse but it was turned down.
              My 12" inch Grant steering wheel was chucked out too so I got the Grant quick release hub and now
              swap the 12 for a 14" on "test" day.
              I told the guy to drive the car with the 12" to see how the power steering made it so easy....but no.
              You can only undersize a certain percent.
              Tires you can only oversize a certain percent unless
              you go to be reviewed and pay money to get it written up in the car's paperwork.
              The 40 dollar fee is as I see it just another way of wringing money out of us.
              If I drove out of there and had an accident due to mechanical failure they remain untouchable my fault
              my problem.
              Last edited by malc; April 3, 2017, 11:31 PM.

Comment

I had to take the car back to the painter man it just was´nt good enough.
                They had left defects on the driver´s door top and fogged the paint so you could still see the marks
                where the mirrors mounted.
                There was a big run in the paint on the passenger door.

Now how do I get all the pieces...handles lock and latch together in that small space,
                is there a sequence to follow ?

Comment

I seem to end up doing it multiple time to get it right. Generally on that generation of GM cars it seems like I've installed the lock first then the outside handle and them pop in the linkages and install the door glass. The inside rods can then swing into place with the window up and the inside handle and rods can be hooked up. That's how I remember it though maybe you can do the whole deal with the window rolled all the way up - it's been a while.

Dan

Comment

I got the driver's hooked up yesterday.....quite a fight.
                    The new locks need a part off the old ones, the lever that takes the rod to the latch.
                    One of the lock's has gone missing..😠.....BUT I
                    decided when I prepared the doors not to install a lock on the passenger side...
                    Still wish I can find it.

Most odd using a key and handle
                    to get in........hate it.....those handles stick out like
                    a zit on your nose.
                    Minimum design input right there.

Comment

Comment

Looks good.. Altho I think shaved looks better

Comment

I really never did like the shaved look... Click image for larger version

Name:	Uncle%2BSi.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1153927 Click image for larger version

Name:	89207d1110171506-flush-door-handle-project-c-documents-settings-kevin.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	1153928
                          But seriously, I have considered using the 99-03 Grand Prix handles on a project or two...
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            I really never did like the shaved look... [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1153927[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1153928[/ATTACH]
                            But seriously, I have considered using the 99-03 Grand Prix handles on a project or two...
                            The paint match sucks.

Dan

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X