A Matter of Fate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Matter of Fate?

I've been to so many training classes to learn how to train over the course of my career. Today is the 41st anniversary of service with the same company, I started when I was 18 years old.

I eventually got inserted into the training role from my role as just another production employee. Got put into training and sort of fell forward the whole time, I still consider myself fortunate or even lucky, although I'm in no way superstitious.

The weather here is said to be ugly this evening. Big storms, although it looks on the radar to be missing us. So far.

Stay with me here, if I can keep my story together this is going somewhere....one of the trainers I was working with on the road at all of the company's paper mills in the United States and Canada, he made a statement one time. A victim statement. He said, "If a tree falls on your house, it's not your fault, that's just bad luck."

I beg to differ. I went through Hurricane Hugo in South Carolina back in the 80's and trees fell all around the house. They all missed the house. By two feet. That was LUCK, the house was framed like a picture frame with fallen trees in the aftermath. The eye of the sorm passed close to the house so the wind blew different directions as it passed.

Here's my point: If a tree falls on your house, it's because you allowed the tree to be there beforehand. Cut the danged thing down so it will NEVER fall on your house. A hurricane will make you look at trees really differently. Which way will it fall? In a hundred years, it WILL fall, wind or not.

And my point, not about weather at all....if we are all open minded about everything, there is almost always something we ourselves did (or didn't do) that contributed to the outcome, the calamity, whatever it is. That's in human relationships or trees falling on the house or building a car. What we do or don't do affects the outcome, even when the outcome appears to be random. That's deep stuff. But I believe it. Just sayin.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I believe it too.
    some think they create perfect victims.

the word fate..
    it gets pretty darn big.
    Years could go by, you could be bald fat buck teethed shrunken bent head sunken eyeballed to curses sucking at the time in the back of your necks (rubberneck)..and still end up in a federal penitentiary.

God Bless.

Fate.

Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Yeah that's deep! Tree's, relationships, life,.....hmmmm yeah.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I would agree with this philosophyand add one statement that I have heard in my years in industry... in any accident, there is something that runs out...Time, Distance, or Luck...anything you can do to prevent these from running out will prevent the accident from occurring... err on the side of safety in your calculations, and you should be safe!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          I would agree with this philosophyand add one statement that I have heard in my years in industry... in any accident, there is something that runs out...Time, Distance, or Luck...anything you can do to prevent these from running out will prevent the accident from occurring... err on the side of safety in your calculations, and you should be safe!
          Overall, I would add beforehand action or inaction.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Falling trees is a skill few have.. I watched an old feller fall a tree between his house and garage that were 10-15 feet apart..
            I usually get evergreens right where I want them, not gonna try what that old feller did.. He climbed up and cut off branches that would hit the house and layed it right down the middle..

Comment

Working...
            X