X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Stereos

Whatcha got that is new and cool?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

WOW - that's like asking what camshaft do you like! You can spend more money on a stereo system than on a new pair of stage 3 ported aluminum heads!

I like Kenwood head units and Rockford amps and subs but they are older - not new and cool.

This will be an interesting thread to follow.

Comment

We've had to replace the stereos in both the van and the HHR recently (different reasons). We have a good locally-owned stereo shop in town and we use them. They have a huge wall with pretty much all makes and models available but NONE of them had an "ON-OFF" button! To turn the darn thing off you have to go thru a ritual of button pushing until it eventually shuts off. The OEM stereo in Truck has a prominent on-off button that falls quickly to hand without looking - love it. So not all progress takes us forward.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        Whatcha got that is new and cool?
        I got nothin'
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Not sure there is anything new and cool ... ever since I could plug in my iPod, I haven't listened to the radio or even used a CD.

Comment

I usually run Pioneer. Solid reputation fairly inexpensive. The power button just collapsed into the head unit of the 92 vette . I don't know what brand it is as it was put in by the previous owner and I can't find a brand . I liked it because I could plug my phone into it and turn the phone volume all the way up then use the stereo volume for modulation. It sounded great . I'll watching here for ideas . But more than likely will spend around $100 bucks .
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 18, 2017, 07:28 AM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

new and cool.
              I am still on an alpine that does too much.. probably <50 bucks on ebay now.

for new and cool.. a lot of vehicles went single din for a aftermarket radio, and gained more space in the double din spot. A double din today could have a screen for gps and internet, touchscreen.

it is tempting.
              I am not large, but I sit back in the truck with a long hurst..and I make use of the remote.
              the remote is faster than the teeny wheeny little buttons to boot.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just swapped out my Pioneer digital with CD slot for my old Pioneer with cassette and CD changer.

It was too dangerous driving and trying to navigate the iPod, that and CDs all over the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                  the remote is faster than the teeny wheeny little buttons to boot.
                  Boots tend to ruin teeny wheeny little buttons.

Comment

I like the factory radio in my Lincoln b/c it has controls on the steering wheel. My 2500 has some after market cd player now the buttons on the wheel don't work so I don't like it. Also the screen is very bright it hurts my eyes drivin at night.

Been thinking about looking for a stock one wonder what year and vehicles would be a plug in?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

I have a Kenwood and a Pioneer GPS, double din stereo in the Jeep and H3. I like the Kenwood, the Pioneer was a neat idea - it uses your phone's GPS to work, but it hit 100% annoyance the 3rd time in as many days it refused to work before it downloaded whatever crap Google thought was needed.

What I'm leaning towards is an amp, and a table.... something along the lines of my Samsung Galaxy and an Alpine KTP-445U amp. Or, that plus a radio/cd player. Or another double din GPS

Comment

New? New to me, and it gets me FM
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	17903444_1528268103852398_3593468220480836735_n.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1154578
                        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

I went with a bluetooth/hd radio/cd player, and my Galaxy. Let's not forget, I also have a quad-band HAM radio. I like tech, but I'd rather choose how I use the tech then let Microsoft and Google spam me.

The real benefit is I'm pretty sure my HAM radio is capable to support internet connectivity. With how slow that will be, the Galaxy will be right at home.
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 18, 2017, 10:06 PM.

Comment

The 65 has a hidden system, you can see the subs if the trunk is open. It sounds very nice and you would never know its there unless you hear it. Still looks like 1965 inside, no gaping holes in the dash, because I got creative and tucked it away. Kenwood head unit, doesn't play CDs, but it has bluetooth and USB. I put all my music on flash drives so I don't have to listen to the radio... because the radio sucks. An hour of ads for ten minutes of music I don't like. Two amps hidden under the package shelf, 6x9s on either side, and two 5" speakers under the dash. It can hurt your ears and I don't have all that much invested in it.

I have a similar head unit in the Tahoe. The chevy 4x4 I had to get last fall, because the Tahoe died. had one in it already, Pioneer I think. Also jut got the same one that is in the Tahoe for my 98 Formula. I don't bother with CDs, and while my tablet and phone can bluetooth to everything but the 98, I rarely use it. Plug in a flash drive and put it on random. Years ago I ripped all my music to my PCs, and when I like a band I buy all their CDs then rip them all to my hard drive.

Comment

As much as I dislike Walmart, when the stereo in the dd died, (coffee accident), I looked at the offerings in the display at Walmart and chose one with the features and price range I was interested in. I think it's a pioneer, 35x35 watt model. It was around $100. I have no interest in amps and subwoofers behind the seat anymore, so I just needed something with enough power to play music louder than the wind noise and engine noise of an old truck. It has a USB input in the face, the face folds down to access the CD slot, and a handful of other features I'll likely never use. It may even have bluetooth, but with the wind noise and rattles at highway speeds, I'm afraid the bluetooth would be worthless.

The main thing was the buttons and features need to be easy to use while driving (at night) without taking my eyes off the road. Most of them weren't as good in this aspect as the older units used to be... this one wasn't ideal either, but after some familiarization it's acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                              X