No announcement yet.

Bubba's Making a Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Times two on Rock . If the water pump is going out it should start weeping . I've rolled jacked up 4x4sbinto the garage on rotors and drums . While I wouldn't recommend it on the drums the rotor are holding up the weight of the truck already . Put some 2x6s down and have at it .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 26, 2017, 12:19 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ok........follow me here.

I read your original post very closely Pdub. You stated messing with the tensioner to replace its pulley, correct?

So you only replaced the tensioner pulley, and not the whole tensioner assembly, correct?

If those assumptions of mine are true, please try this. Go out with a flashlight and with Bubba idling away, CLOSELY WATCH the tensioner itself. Does it "bounce"slightly?

In other words, if the tensioner is not rock-steady - replace the whole tensioner assembly. Those tensioner springs loose their strength, and allow enough variance in the belt tension to let it talk to ya.

I had this happen on my wife's car at about 150,000 miles. It was working fine (other than the weird noise, which I was not concerned with) and I was actually fixing something unrelated and just happened to notice the tensioner bouncing.

The sound went away when the bouncing went away. I think I had $30 minutes and an hour or two in it.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Definitely a possibility...😋
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That's the question, will rotors support the front end load with no wheels on them?

ive done it, with a 1x4 piece of wood underneath so as not
          to damage the edge of the rotor and/or moms garage floor.....

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

I don't know Patrick enough beer he probably fall asleep! LOL
            I know I would
            That thing.....yeah asleep or bound up or something. At the very least I'd be drooling on the job, I really don't think my back could stand that. And then where would we store it after it normally ships in 1 to 2 months?

As stated farther above, I'm now in the mood to run to failure and call AAA for a tow.

I didn't change the tensioner pulley at all, I only changed the two idler pulleys. So the tensioner is as it was. I can't see it bouncing or vibrating. Everywhere I can reach with the stethoscope, it all sounds the same. Like that sound is coming from everywhere in the belt run. I would have thought that rubber (the belt) would be a poor conductor of sound from one component to the next.

But the noise, any noise....long ago I had a 1990 GEO Prizm I "won" in a divorce. When you turned the wheels all the way to the right, all the way to the lock like in a parking lot, there was a tick. Tick-tick-tick, but only when the wheels were turned all the way to the right. So I didn't worry about it since it was only when the wheels were turned all the way to the right. It'll be alright. Until one morning I nearly made it all the way to work when you can say the right front wheel fell off, it was all the way up into the wheel well with the car resting on it. That was a strut, or something, saying, "Fix me, fix me!" before it failed. So I don't like noises. And that was before I had any tools or the courage to ever try to work on something. Get a tow and pay the man to fix it back then.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I heard a noise tonight... called Sean 10 miles out... he grabbed his impact and sockets when he left work. stopped to pick up a new hub at Oreilley's met me at home, and changed the left front hub in 21 minutes...returned core for refund... all in time for supper.... will see if we still have noise when turning right on the 150 mile commute for work tomorrow...
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                Times two on Rock . If the water pump is going out it should start weeping . I've rolled jacked up 4x4sbinto the garage on rotors and drums . While I wouldn't recommend it on the drums the rotor are holding up the weight of the truck already . Put some 2x6s down and have at it .
                Sorry, Dan, rotors do not hold weight up, just slow rigs down.
                The hub and the lugs hold the weight..

Comment

Keep comparing Bubba to a Geo Prizm and He'll make a lot more than a pulley noise, I'm sure.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Keep comparing Bubba to a Geo Prizm and He'll make a lot more than a pulley noise, I'm sure.
                    Probably hears the Geo under the wheel and can't find it...
                    Last edited by Deaf Bob; April 26, 2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      Yeah, I believe I could haul most of that GEO in Bubba's bed with some hanging off in places. It's a good thing Bubba's not logged into the internet, he'd toss us both into a ditch in the morning and laugh about it. But Unit's the Car Whisperer. Bubba won't tell either of us what's wrong.

But Silver Bullet the GEO (yep, that was his name) was a trusty steed, he crapped his radiator guts at just over 200K miles when I was parking him in the lot at the Charlotte airport, outbound. He got me there, didn't do it in between. That's when Unit, back home, picked out Bubba and I started driving him back and forth every week to the airport.

We'd made arrangements to donate Bullet to a guy who worked with high school kids, learning the automotive trade. Bullet was to get towed from the airport to upper SC where they would try to make it run again. A month later, I was flying every week, I started wondering....did they get Bullet? You have to park trucks in a different area at Charlotte, wider parking spaces. Out of curiosity one Monday morning, I drove Bubba through where I had left Bullet, just to see that it was gone.

Bullet was still there. The tow truck driver never showed up on the declared day to get it. After not seeing the car for a month....that was one butt ugly embarrassing car I'd been driving for a few years. I mean an eyesore. Clear coat peeling off, it was butt ugly. Ya know how when you watch something age and you look at it every day, you don't actually "see" it? Well, there is is, sitting on top of a lot of stains on the pavement from all of the coolant that came out of it. Probably poisoned a lot of ground squirrels in the airport parking lot before it all evaporated.

And then Unit got on the line and negotiated with the airport folks and sweet talked them into only charging us a week's worth of parking since that's what it should have been had the tow drunk driver not gotten Sunday drunk and decided not to come haul it away.

Comment

I was watching this video, thought of you pdub..
                        the tire stand.

not that I have any reason to watch this video...or browse summit website.
                        Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 27, 2017, 09:46 PM.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                          I was watching this video, thought of you pdub..
                          the tire stand.
                          :
                          Hmmmm, that's pretty sexy indeed. Hmmmmm....thanks Barry!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Hmmmm, that's pretty sexy indeed. Hmmmmm....thanks Barry!
                            I may make one.
                            does not look all that complicated.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                            X