Trying to Reason with Tornado Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Reason with Tornado Season

The severe stuff, whatever it ends up being here, we're next, it's already showing up on the local radar heading this way on a rail.

Big Dave and Perry, are y'all okay down there?
    Last edited by pdub; April 30, 2017, 02:43 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Pretty nasty so I'm kicked back watching the movie Gone in 60 Seconds, the original one from 1974.
    Ah heck I had forgotten that they steal my Corvette in the movie.
    Last edited by corvettedad; April 30, 2017, 03:04 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I have gotten to the point that the Lord will take me when he wants.... Tammy....Not so much... weather radio ready, and the basement is always there...When/where I grew up, there were times we sat at Uncle Jim's, having a picnic on the patio, watching the twister skirt the ridge north of town... I often go out on the front porch to watch the storms... 8' deep porch with a 12' roof...
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The sun's going down, the storms are dying. Just rain. Lots of it. Put the racing helmets back up, no need for storm shelter.....Unit's rolling her eyeballs at me again, like every time.....She's never seen bad weather, she's never been through a hurricane. She doesn't believe it, and neither does anybody else who has never seen it.

Comment

[QUOTE=pdub;n1156028]The sun's going down, the storms are dying. Just rain. Lots of it. Put the racing helmets back up, no need for storm shelter.....Unit's rolling her eyeballs at me again, like every time.....She's never seen bad weather, she's never been through a hurricane. She doesn't believe it, and neither does anybody else who has never seen it.[/QUOTE

Tornadoes, and hurricane's, being only about 85 miles from the coast we get both. Kinda like a snake, not really scared of them but I respect what they can do. Today luckily just a lot of rain and wind.
          Last edited by corvettedad; April 30, 2017, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
            Tornadoes, and hurricane's, being only about 85 miles from the coast we get both. Kinda like a snake, not really scared of them but I respect what they can do. Today luckily just a lot of rain and wind.
            Well put! I've been through one of each & we get plenty of tornadoes here & our season is right around the corner. All that you can do is deal with them.
            ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I pay attention, all we got is colder than everyone.

I expected violent this year, as maine did something very old. I learned this in trucking.. halfway to florida is a day ride. quite a clash... and that's not even inland.

I was watching the canton texas tornado..apr 29.
              it was making a unique noise, one of the regular storm chasers spoke up as well. Like a tight band of whistle..yet half a mile wide.

that is some scary shit. I was startled just to see it on a video.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm a bit fatalistic about the whole deal. Here twisters are rare though we do, of course, get hurricanes. You have 2 choices - harden your house to withstand any onslaught or go inland. I figure that if you harden the house to withstand 135 MPH winds the next storm will be 136 so you're still screwed. My plan is to get the heck out of Dodge, a plan I've followed to a "T" though we did ride out the last one. It was predicted to be a sort of mini-hurricane (it was) so basically we had a big rain storm. No sense losing sleep over it as it'll be what it is, just Nature doing it's thing.

Dan

Comment

Tornadoes? Time to grab a beer and head outside.

Comment

I think its been proven , my chances of getting hit by another csr are far greater . I don't even pay attention to the t.v.weather people . If I get a alert on my cell phone .....then I check it out .
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

This season has been the weirdest that i can remember with storms. Seems all next week up here is gonna be Maine weather, I'm in the process of pulling out some of my warmer shirts.
                      "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

We've been in the 80s for a couple of weeks. Last night we had a storm blow thru (it's still clearing out) and now we're in the 70s for a few days then back to our Spring weather. The downside is we're having a PGA tournament just up the road from our house and they will miss much of today but I guess they'll be able to make that up over the weekend. Phil Michelson and many of the Big Hitters of golf are here in town for this. Guess we have to get rain sometime.....

Dan

Comment

Well it wasn't announced officially by the power's of weather people but Wednesday morning around 4:30 I was up getting ready for work and there it was a medium to loud sound almost like the fan was going out on my outside AC unit, not a train type sound as everyone seems to always say. Personally I've never heard one sound like a train, anyway I'm thinking to my self once I decided it's not the AC unit I say to myself WOW that's the wind! The loud humming stays for a little longer and I'm hoping that I don't get a tree down on my house or the shop figuring it's probably a 50 or 60 MPH straight line wind. Well I get ready for work, the boy's were at my Mom's which is why I didn't get real worried, they were safe. Leave the house and about ¼ mile from the house there's the evidence! Two trees laying across the road I can barley get by going off the road to get around them, then the tale tale sign another bigger tree laying across the road from the opposite direction and luckily I was able do the same by going off in the road to get around it. Got to work and to guy's I work with who as the crow flies are no more than a mile or two had heard the same moan/humming noise that I had heard around the same time. Small tornado?
                          I think a good possibility. I live out in the country so not many structures to hit other than tree's. First REAL BAD wind of the year survived but the summer is just cranking up.
                          Last edited by corvettedad; May 5, 2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Stay safe PushRod!

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
                              Stay safe PushRod!
                              Perry we've got a stick-built house that's actually a two-story marvelous double-wide trailer. Vinyl siding. Come on over here and we'll all die together. There is no basement. No safe place. That's what we bought. That's where we live.

EDIT: I think what did it to me (this phobia) was the movie Wizard of Oz, back when they used to show it on TV in the 60's. Lots of other kids were terrified by the Wicked Witch, or the flying monkeys.....for me it was the tornado.

And one or more came through town here a few years ago, it killed 7 or 8 people just a few miles south of us. No, I don't like a tornado. It's nature's form of terrorism. It doesn't get everybody, just a few in a certain area. It's a phobia and I know it's a phobia that I have, for real. I don't ever want to hear that sound when debris is flying around outside the house. I will probably just die anyhow, right there and then, whether we get hit or not.
                              Last edited by pdub; May 5, 2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X