Cash Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cash Flow

We got into a thing yesterday, Red needs two new racing tires to go to the track. They wear out. They're not cheap. And that brand, that style, they've been discontinued. We're living in the past again, outdated tires. I ordered the last one available in North America (Minnesota distribution center) from Tire Rack. Unit surfed the net for an hour and found another one somewhere. We've got two tires coming from two different directions. For going 140 mph down the long back straight with the blower at Road Atlanta next month.

We've got no kids, our bills are paid, we can race. Until I retire. One year four months. Then, I don't know, I don't think so. Or just keep working, and I don't want to keep working. I've already got 41 years with the company as of today. I think that's enough.

Dan Stokes is my retirement idol, he still does it all. Land speed and such. I can't get my head around it. A car, a race car especially, is a money pit. You have to feed it. But you have to eat, too. It's....dang we're gonna have fun for a year for sure.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

In 2008 while running a safety check down the track in Maxton with Keith Turk, I asked him what it took to go over 200 mph and he replied; "More horsepower than you think and more money than you've got".
    It still rings true today.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
      In 2008 while running a safety check down the track in Maxton with Keith Turk, I asked him what it took to go over 200 mph and he replied; "More horsepower than you think and more money than you've got".
      It still rings true today.
      That is SO true. Look at the cars. Stock cars from the showroom these days can go 135 (mine did with a tune). But look at 200 mph, that's like the sound barrier. THAT's when you get into unobtanium body construction and aero and all of those things. And Turk has done it, what, 6 times or 7 times? Incredible.

Comment

But it raises a question, a real dumb question. If Top Fuel and Funny Cars can go over 300 mph in a quarter mile, why can't land speed cars go 1200 mph in a whole mile? Just askin. Because I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
          But it raises a question, a real dumb question. If Top Fuel and Funny Cars can go over 300 mph in a quarter mile, why can't land speed cars go 1200 mph in a whole mile?
          There are more people giving answers to that question, then there are who know what they are talking about.

Comment

Because as speed doubles, the horsepower required to do so squares... so while you may be able to run 60 with minimal horsepower(less than 60) to run 120, it might take as many as 360 or more HP also, those 300 mph quarters are run on a prepped surface that takes a near perfect run to attain... as far as the cash flow goes, that is where the part time job at the auto parts store comes in...hopefully with an employee discount....
            Last edited by silver_bullet; May 28, 2017, 08:24 AM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

But it raises a question, a real dumb question. If Top Fuel and Funny Cars can go over 300 mph in a quarter mile, why can't land speed cars go 1200 mph in a whole mile? Just askin. Because I don't know.

that is funny. I wonder too.

I found a torque based life has a fatter wallet. (make that quote famous.)

I even have a truck that screams to floating windshield wipers and 130 something.
              Doesn't even read 300hp on a dyno...supposedly.

it is in education. If everyone had a 100mph highway every day.. what would be out there.

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Maybe that pesky "gravity" thing?
                ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

on wheel driven cars the issue is generally traction.. that is why the LSR has been held by non wheel driven cars/tricycles for many decades now...Sir Malcolm Campbell saw it coming in the thirties....
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post

Maybe that pesky "gravity" thing?
                    I reckon too when you get into that league, I'd randomly guess maybe 175 mph, you also get into that even peskier thing called compressing the air around your car. Most of the road course track day outfits make you run with the windows down. That's another thing to get used to at a place like Road Atlanta. Thunder's not all that loud, but wind at big speed with the windows down sure is.

Comment

PW hit the nail on the head. That, and keeping it up for a mile (or 5 at Bonneville). Drag race engines make stupid power - for a quarter mile at a time. Run one at WOT for a mile or more and they'll be scattered all over the track - wrong tool for the job and it's a very different job. I'm guessing aero on a TF car or funny car has been worked to death - for what they do. So trap speeds are really high. Believe me, IF that aero applied to - say - Lakester classes everyone would be running them. To see what works at 300MPH in LSR and is somewhat dragster-like, here's a pic:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Seth Hammond.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1160757

And yes, it really IS that pretty. This is a drawing (didn't find a good photo) but it looks like this in real life.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; May 28, 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Dan, I fully understand the point that you are making... I'm just thinking along the lines of running a standing mile vs a flying mile....
                        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Maintaining those speeds for minutes rather than seconds requires a reliability that few drag racers ever need to face.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                            Dan, I fully understand the point that you are making... I'm just thinking along the lines of running a standing mile vs a flying mile....
                            To add humor to speculation, Bluebelle the Fusion was still pulling good going through the time trap at Ohio at 131 mph. 3.0 liter 6 cylinder with a hotrod tune. A 200 horsepower four door brick. THAT was fun. I wonder what she'd do in five miles? At what point does horsepower meet up with wind resistance? There's got to be a specific point, based on horsepower and weight and the shape of the car. That's what the smart fast rich guys have already figured out a long time ago.

Comment

I believe Bonneville has 3, 5 and 8-mile tracks.

Comment

Working...
                              X