No announcement yet.

Yes Again, Ford Sucks!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find I need to entertain people at round- a- bouts drifting the rearend around the last quarter .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I wonder what the life is of a starter motor in these new cars and trucks that shut off each time you stop or do they not even have a starter motor?

I must admit I don't really care for many of the New Features found on new cars and trucks these day's.

Jim Hill
      Nostalgic Racing Decals. Racing decals and more form the past

Comment

a lot of hybrids use the electric drive motor to restart the cars. I agree with Alex, though, no matter how long it lasts, it has to be a much-faster-then-wear item. The worst part is manufacturers are trying to meet standards that make no sense. The EPA demands emissions compliance without a true dust-to-dust analysis of whether or not the compliance is actually a net increase in pollution (due to the manufacturing of the product).
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

Anyway I always marvel, when getting out on the road, of the amount of vehicle traffic all going one way while the guys on the other side go the other, If you could save a little fuel on each car while they sit there idling it would add up although in terms of percentage of total used for the trip...not much.

Now if, sorta on this subject, you'll allow me one short rant:

What would really help is for cities to, beside encouraging layouts that reduce commuting distances, simply time traffic lights so thirty tons of cars didn't all have to come to a stop, sit there idling, then accelerate back up at every intersection in the first place. I drive a major stretch where there are perhaps a dozen intersections w/ lights and it's common to have to stop at every single one, you get in a pack of cars and all of you have to do that each time. You can sit there at a stop and see the next intersection down the road green with nobody there, when you're all going again and almost to it, red now. (Make two lights, you're having a lucky day.) If the federal and state governments actually gave a crap about fuel usage and emissions they would be requiring cities to time lights, I'd bet for many sections of road, at-least around here, they could cut emissions produced along those sections literally in half and save people a bunch of time and car wear as well.

However, I did once commute in an area where that was often done...the San Fernando Valley...and it didn't much work because the lights were timed for for the speed limit but instead of just working with it everybody would go flying around you at ten mph over to be in front, then they would all have to stop at the light which wasn't ready to turn green yet and and make you stop because you were behind them. At each intersection there would be a bigger wad of fools, people who looked at you in annoyance as they flew past because you were going so slow (again, the speed limit) and soon you'd just be missing the light altogether because of the amount of cars stacked up in front of you who all who had to come to a stop because of their speed and they were not actually getting across the Valley any faster for all their huff and rush.

Stuff to fix when I'm President.
          What do you mean by layouts? I get it now, zoning / mixed use.

Please don't stir up the feds.

There is money than can be gotten for traffic signal improvements. Some areas can get CMAQ funding.

Traffic signals should not stop the main line and give green to the side street if no car is there. (This may not apply to grid system streets.) If it does the signal is broken or needs to be upgraded.

Cooridors that are not over capacity should be able to have some progression. Two way progression is more difficult and there normally are more loosers.

Make some calls find out who (is supposed to) maintains the signals. Ask about the signal timing, coordinated signal system. If they say we don't do that ask why not? Then ask them what they would need to do it? Who could I call to help you get that. (Someone with budgeting or scheduling power, ie manager or politician)

Try being nice you will more likely get better answers to your questions. More than likely they are over worked and under paid, or have become cynical.

One on my new sayings: "It's all about asking the right person the right questions."

One of my old sayings: "Some people think we can fix anything with signal timing and pavement markings "

Alot of the time it can be made better, but some times you really need another lane or 3.
          Last edited by Russell; June 9, 2017, 10:38 AM.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            Think of all the gas you saved not idling in traffic...
            It's actually a noticeable amount. My 14 F150 crew cab once you stop you see the 1/10th mpg start to drop.

As far as the ride, it's a fricken truck
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

My work truck is a 14 f150 crew cap 5.0 4wd. It's a hotrod. Front seats are great, back could be a little better. It runs, drives, and handlespecially great. I have never driven a 15+ so maybe ford screwed it up but I love mine the only thing I don't like is the work truck does not have radio controles on the steering wheel.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                My work truck is a 14 f150 crew cap 5.0 4wd. It's a hotrod. Front seats are great, back could be a little better. It runs, drives, and handlespecially great. I have never driven a 15+ so maybe ford screwed it up but I love mine the only thing I don't like is the work truck does not have radio controles on the steering wheel.
                I don't think my 14 crew cab has been much lower then 17 mpg. I think maybe 1 time it slipped to 16. Last week I was getting over 21. That was with 4 people with the bed filled up with luggage. I do have a fabric cover, I think that has helped slightly. I have the 5.0 along with 3.55 gears. Yeah, these things fly!
                Last edited by Huskinhano; June 10, 2017, 03:10 PM.
                Tom
                Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I (well, M has it. Too nice for me to drive.) have a 2016 king cab with the 2.7 and twins. Smallest v6 I've ever owned, but based on Ford's dyno charts it makes more torque at 3000 than the 3.5 tt or 5.0. It borders on entertaining, and will run off and hide from a 5.3 GM with the same HP rating... it's definitely faster than the inlaw's 2015 3.5 ecoboost crew cab... 23 or better if I stay out of it which means high 20.x's-21 most of the time. If you stay in the boost, you can forget ECO though. he lie-o-meter is a lot better on this one than my diesel, 10% or less error.

The autostart thingy only activates if you push the brake pedal down hard at a stop light. I'm guessing the Chevy guys are used to having to shove the pedal through the floor to stop. It only starts activating when the engine is warm, and that engine starts very easy. Something else I guess the OP isn't used to...

Amazingly enough, I've managed to move washers and driers, mowers and lawn equipment, AND loaded toolboxes without poking any holes in it's delicate aluminum bed. Back to the autostart/stop thing, lift your brake foot at all and it restarts. I brake left footed and drive a standard most of the time so that can actually get a little annoying since I'm almost always moving my foot. You get used to it or you push the button. I was in stop and go traffic yesterday and it never activated. I had the AC on Max though, so I don't know if Ford has that programmed into it. It would make sense if you have max heat or max ac for it to not turn off.
                  Last edited by Beagle; June 11, 2017, 06:14 AM.
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post

Amazingly enough, I've managed to move washers and driers, mowers and lawn equipment, AND loaded toolboxes without poking any holes in it's delicate aluminum bed.

What is not said about that test is that the tool box used on the Ford bed is a heavy duty Snap On box that is obsolete and not sold anymore. It was weighted to 34 pounds. The tool box used on the Chevy was a light duty tool box purchased from Mc Master Carr and weighted to 28 pounds. On the Ford test, yes it did puncture the bed and you will notice there is only 1 take and everyone's eyes are focused on it. Now switch to the Chevy scene. 2 takes, not 1. You see the take from the back of the bed when the box is pushed off the side. The tool box hits the bed and stops dead in it's tracks exactly like the Ford test when the tool box punctured the bed. The reason the tool box stops the same way in the Chevy is because it too punctured the steel bed in the Chevy. Look at the 3 guys. They are also focused on the hole. You will also see a dark spot which is the hole. But wait, the next scene is from the front of the bed. You see the tool box being pushed off the side. But notice the tool box doesn't stop in it's tracks this time? It's the second time and this time the angle is different and the tool box bounces and everyone looks at the ding. So who buys these class of trucks for work, they're bought as personal vehicles and pampered with a bed liner or mat. The first thing I did was to buy a mat. OK, so when was the last time you saw a metal tool box for sale. Not in a long time. They're all plastic with rounded corners.

Oh, the company that owns the bears used in the commercial keep the bears in aluminum cages. Chevy is going aluminum along with their version of the Ecoboost. Their covered up test vehicle also had a blank oval on the front as a logo.
                    Last edited by Huskinhano; June 11, 2017, 08:13 AM.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                    X