Dumb Non-Car Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb Non-Car Question

I inherited a Mikuru (?) Charles Daly shot gun from my Dad many years ago. It's a 20 ga over and under skeet gun w/skeet choke. From what I can tell, it's a pretty desirable gun and worth like a grand, but I'm not sure I've sorted this out correctly. I don't shoot and really don't care much about it, so I've decided to turn it into car parts for the race car. The question I have is, "how does an individual sell a firearm?" Do I need to consign it thru a dealer? Can I post it on Ebay? Am I letting myself in for some liability issues if I sell it myself? Have I researched the price correctly?

Thanks for whatever help y'all can offer
    Dan

Re: Dumb Non-Car Question

Established in 1975, the Institute for Legislative Action (ILA) is the "lobbying" arm of the National Rifle Association of America. ILA is responsible for preserving the right of all law-abiding individuals in the legislative, political, and legal arenas, to purchase, possess and use firearms for legitimate purposes as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

try this website for starters, its very easy to sell just get the proper paperwork together.

Comment

buying/selling guns is a "second" hobby for me. for starters, check your local laws but make shure you get the full name(from a drivers licence) of the person you sell it too. make up a recipt also and include the serial number of the firearm and have the buyer sign it. if you area have gunshows, this may be the best place to sell it. older shotguns in good shape sell for quite a bit so it might be a good idea to "shop around" for buyers to get the best deal for you. the average price for that gun in lets say 85% is about 500-700$ (here in fla any way). good luck

-vic

Comment

Selling a "long" gun is pretty simple. Use All suggestions above. Most gun shops will sell on consignment as well if you would rather not deal with it.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll dig into it. BTW - I'd guess the gun is like 95% or so. Dad was FANATICAL about taking care of his weapons, and the only blemish is a tiny divot about the size of a pin prick on the stock where your cheek would sit.

The website is going to be very helpful, I'm sure.

Again, THANKS
          Dan

Comment

Good advice above. I mean no offese, but I hate to see a guy get rid of daddy's gun. It hurts nothing for it to sit, well oiled and cared for, in a secure place until a calling comes for it.

But I can also understand you thoughts.

You can sell weapons like that on line. gunbroker.com is one place. Like e-bay, but for guns. E-bay does not allow weapon sales and can be picky about gun parts for sale. ALL FIREARMS MUST BE SHIPPED TO A LICENSED FFL DEALER. Shipping and insurance are huge considerations.

As stated above, a good gun shop can sell it on consignment. Just make sure you research the gun first and have a solid number of what you want for it, or they'll make as much as you and you'll get short changed.

A quality over and under shotgun, as you've described, should get you at least 7-8 hundred, or more. In the condition you describe, it can be worth some good money. If I had the money, I'd be PM'ing you instead of posting. Good luck, sir.

Comment

By the way, if the blemish you describe is that tiny, it's probably not going to effect much.

Did your dad wear glasses and cheek the gun on the same side as the blemish? Just a hunch.

Comment

If my house was on fire I would grab my son, my wife, then I would try to save my Dad's passed down guns. But to each his own, I traded a 10 dollar gold coin I received for high school graduation last month for an old sheldon lathe.

Comment

That's what I appreciate.

You should do whatever you feel is right, no matter what others believe, in any case.

Folks, keep law abiding gun ownership alive. The government needs to go after the morons and do more than slap them on the wrist. Don't go after us law abiding gun owners.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Blaming the gun for killing someone is like blaming my keyboard for mispelled words.

Yeah, that's quotes from others, maybe slightly modified, but I agree.

Promote the lawful, honest man and get rid of those that prey on them and drag society down.

That is all for my personal input.

Comment

My two cents . My dad died about 12yrs ago .Not a very wealthy man .I got his one gun,a shot gun,single shot16 gage that his dad gave to him probly worth $200 at the very limit. I wouldn't sell for a $1000 . Now if you do I would at least get something you would keep forever and would see alot.I haven't even seen mine for 5yrs. but its just nice to know I have it! Thanks for the post I think I'll get it out today!

Comment

Working...
                    X