Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lohnes hates straight 6s

What say ye?

a swap wouldn't take much work? then no suggestion of a detroit 2 stroke diesel? I'm thinking there needs to be an intervention.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

He seemed to be fond of my 250/Camaro at Maxton but maybe he was being polite. If it was mine I'd breathe on that 292 a bit - they'll make good power and it would be unique.

Dan

Comment

Cammed right, intake and a good 4 barrel carb will make it roar out the headers..
      Pulling 20k lbs gross needs a torquey motor..
      I think the small block does real good!

Comment

Seems like he's kinda good w/ the sixes, just threw in an "ultimate" combo w/ the BB. Maybe the choice of a 2.20-low little aluminum Corvette trans might be reviewed.

I actually did that fleetside conversion in my old 4-door, built from a $400 truck in the late nineties. That's a "flatbed"-type narrow rear end, the inner fenders were sectioned inward and there's no hauling 4' loads flat on the floor anymore as it winds up leaving like 38" space IIRC. The outer fenders were worked in steel, I spent a lot of time on it (doesn't show in the pic so much due to light) and I thought looked OK. There was a little more Bondo than I'd normally care to admit to, those huge fenders were just not doing what I wanted them to. It was a 350/SM465 truck, I swapped to a 454, my bad. That motor sucked. A built 383 would have saved me thousands in gas and probably made same power.

Pretty, huh? Sorta wish I'd kept it, the thing was a workhorse anyhow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07263.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	1165138

Comment

now that is custom Loren.

I thought the six was all gone, but I am in french invasion land.
          I bet someone thinks my 87 subaru wagon is a sports car.

My neighbor and I just happened to meet out in the lot for a simultaneous cold start.
          he has the trailblazer..the last of the six.

dipped into the 40s last night...after having some floridian 90s.

my own is a v8, had the drain back rod sound (my favorite,tells there is no slime in the base) then into silence..
          the six sounded like the valves had nothing for oil at all.

this place has spells that killed off the six.
          I took in two myself.. a long time ago. They did not work out.
          Last edited by Barry Donovan; June 30, 2017, 09:22 PM.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I think my flatbed corners waaaay better than the 2 dualie boxxed pickups I drive!
            The wide fenders make it hard to move around most times!
            But pulling the trailers.. Nothing beats dualies, flat bed or pickup
            GMC BBC auto, 4X4 NINE MPG!
            Flatbed with cammed 350, SM465, headers, intake got 14-16 mpg empty and 10-12 loaded. Powerwise I think the 350 pulls better than the bbc
            Kinda want to build a 400 like my 350 for the GMC..

Comment

Only sixes I care for are diesels ( which I don't care to own but enjoy seeing and hearing other peoples ) and one with overhead cams and even better with 4 valves per cylinder . So , I'd jerk that six out and give to whoever wanted it . I posted on the blog about a big block but a 5.3 to 6 liter LS would be fine .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I think my flatbed corners waaaay better than the 2 dualie boxxed pickups I drive!
                The wide fenders make it hard to move around most times!
                But pulling the trailers.. Nothing beats dualies, flat bed or pickup
                GMC BBC auto, 4X4 NINE MPG!
                Flatbed with cammed 350, SM465, headers, intake got 14-16 mpg empty and 10-12 loaded. Powerwise I think the 350 pulls better than the bbc
                Kinda want to build a 400 like my 350 for the GMC..

It was a long time before I changed my conclusion that 454s were pretty much dogs - poor fuel economy for not-much-of-a-difference torque. Then I drove a 454 with decent heads and 12:1 compression.... wow. Most stock BBC are 8:1 or 9:1 compression and they simply suck... GM bandaided it with the oval and then peanut port heads... but put compression in - they can handle it - and grins will happen... if you can keep your foot light on the happy pedal, you'll also get better fuel economy.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

In my experience with 454s and 4-horse trailers, I have always made 10 mpg whether the truck was working or idling in the driveway.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    In my experience with 454s and 4-horse trailers, I have always made 10 mpg whether the truck was working or idling in the driveway.
                    Well actually, ED - idling in the driveway they ALL get zero MPG - all gallons, no miles.

I loved my BBB Chevy PU, built for hauling horses, but compared to the Doge/Cummins it flat sucked. Can't replace torque for trailer towing and I go from 24 MPG highway to 18 with Mutt and the trailer out back (about 5,000 lbs). So IF someone wanted to do an engine swap on the featured truck and assuming a goal of trailer toting I'd for sure do a Diesel, maybe a DuraMax given that the V8 configuration would fit reasonably well.

Dan

Comment

I do love my son's International...errr Ford F-350 7.3 diesel.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        I do love my son's International...errr Ford F-350 7.3 diesel.
                        Weren't those Navistars? International kept changing their name in that era.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Weren't those Navistars? International kept changing their name in that era.

Dan
                          Trucks were Navistars. Like Chevy Silverado... Motors? Not too sure He worked for anInternational dealer and drove a pickup home.. Basically a truck with a pickup box. Rode like a truck..

How is this for a pickumup?

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Well actually, ED - idling in the driveway they ALL get zero MPG - all gallons, no miles.

I loved my BBB Chevy PU, built for hauling horses, but compared to the Doge/Cummins it flat sucked. Can't replace torque for trailer towing and I go from 24 MPG highway to 18 with Mutt and the trailer out back (about 5,000 lbs). So IF someone wanted to do an engine swap on the featured truck and assuming a goal of trailer toting I'd for sure do a Diesel, maybe a DuraMax given that the V8 configuration would fit reasonably well.

Dan
                            That was 'tongue in cheek' Dan...........actually, it still got 10 with nothing on board, nothing behind, and the tailgate removed. I like 'em, though. My current beater is an 87 3/4 ton Silverado......that 454 will find it's way into a hot rod when the truck finally dies. With some go fast parts added, though.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

We had a discussion with Vic at Allen's Garage in Fancy Gap yesterday and are looking at possibly modding our 292 for the 32 Chevy.... might give it a whistle while she works....Just bench racing for now tho.... found a cool article that is giving this idea traction too: http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-...ne-six-engine/
                              Last edited by silver_bullet; July 2, 2017, 05:53 AM.
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X