Camaro Blower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Blower

I'm watching All Girls Garage, they're putting an Edelbrock blower on a 2016 Camaro. Like Red's Vortech blower, the Edelbrock one comes with an intercooler. Man that intercooler radiator on that Edelbrock kit is every bit the same size as the car's existing radiator. And it mounts directly in front of it.
    It covers it up, so the intercooler radiator gets the first air coming through. All of it.

Would that not make the whole engine overheat if you're hammering on it at a road course?

Naturally the ladies did the whole job in 30 minutes while it took us about 2 1/2 months on Red. But I wouldn't be overly excited about that setup, it just LOOKS like it would overheat if abused for about a half hour, it almost has to overheat. Wouldn't it? Maybe not...
    Last edited by pdub; July 2, 2017, 10:59 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Not sure .. I'm sure some expert has written a paper or posted a blog about this, but I speculate that the inter cooler radiator passes air through the vanes just as well as the engine cooling radiator and is probably dissipating much less heat, which means the air flowing past the engine cooling radiator is not much hotter than the ambient temperature.

Comment

Red's intercooler radiator is a little thing, mounted down lower than the primary radiator, out of the way, different airflow going to it. It has its own electric water pump ponding the coolant in its own little reservoir.

The air intake going to the throttle body, and also the supercharger itself of course, they get every bit as hot as the engine does through radiant heat and direct transfer through all of the parts that are connected together under the hood. So I'm not real convinced the intercooler does much good anyhow, how CAN it? Just un-scientifc pondering out loud.

The only issue I've had with Red overheating came before the blower install. That was at Atlanta Motorsports Park, running whole laps near the redline in 3rd gear, trying to maintain some torque. And it was about 95 degrees ambient that day. Yeah, he got hot, but as soon as I put it in 4th gear and backed off some the water temp came right back down to where it should be.

We'll see in September if Red's blower will allow us to run in 4th gear and still get some decent pull. And Unit will get to ride along on her favorite track of all.

Comment

on a compound c15 (two large turbos) Even if air hit 200+, it is still air. Cools off very fast.
        Those engines munch headgaskets in intervals.

EGT is the monster to watch. Sometimes coolant can keep a casting, but EGT is the violent kill.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

After suspension upgrade this is on the horizon, after almost 4 years 425hp just needs to be upgraded Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170702_232720.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1165335
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Not likely that it will transfer enough heat for it to be an issue... just drive faster...
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

It won't because it's not a Ford.
              Sorry man, had to point out the obvious for ya
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                It won't because it's not a Ford.
                Sorry man, had to point out the obvious for ya
                It's a previously circled problem. Yes, I know. I know.

Comment

and painted it blue

Comment

and painted it blue
                    Yeah, whatever color. That's not today's biggest disappointment.

Just.....Dang. Diddly squat piddlesticks with horse farts and a poke in the eye from a sharp stick and fall down and shit puddlebuckets dang. Just dangit. Dammit. Shit. Dammit. Dang. Rats. Damn. Dangit. Dang.

Comment

Finnegan just disappointed you with a Corvette purchase?

Comment

Finnegan just disappointed you with a Corvette purchase?
                        No, not at all. There's an invisible sub-plot.

Dammit.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

No, not at all. There's an invisible sub-plot.

Dammit.
                          Ahhh! Patrick and Tammy stood you up!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Ahhh! Patrick and Tammy stood you up!
                            ...Deaf Bob for the win.

Comment

The Corvette thing would bug me more - life happens to people, once someone owns a C3 Corvette, there is no going back.

Comment

Working...
                              X