Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Got Wildlife ?

Handsome fox, for sure.

And - as I recall, raptor crap is especially nasty. YECCCHHH!

Dan

Comment

Fred, that Narly Surf Dog looks like a real problem ....
      :D

Scott, great picture of the Hawk with dinner and excellent pic of the Red Fox you captured DirtyWhiteBoy, they sure are hard to catch.

I'm an Assistant Scoutmaster and just got back from a weekend canoe / camping trip with the Troop to Mosquito Lagoon,
      so the boys could work on their Canoeing, Camping and Fishing merit badges. Nobody caught any fish, but we did get
      about 5-pounds of shrimp and some crabs, clams and oysters. Yummy !
      ;D

Some of the (ex) wildlife shots I took on my walk around the island ...

An unfortunate Sea Turtle that did not survive the recent cold spell.

A large Grouper carcase that something enjoyed for dinner.

Tracks of a Raccoon that swam to the island to forage for what it could find.

A Seagull met it's untimely demise somehow.

Keep those pictures coming guy's, I just love this stuff !!!

Comment

Mosquito Lagoon ? Sounds like a real vacation hot spot Steve - but it keeps the touristas away right ?
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Phil, oh yeah, the Skeeters really come out in the summertime ... the Lagoon is flats next to Cape Canaveral, full of Redfish, Snook and Sea Trout. You can see the NASA Assembly building from everywhere.
          ;)

Comment

WOW....lots of cool pics. These aren't exactly on my property, but about 15-20 minutes from the house.

I have had a fox in my garage, the occasional deer will wander thru the neighborhood, and last summer we had a brown bear a few blocks away.
            Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

We do have little bitty deer (compared to Michigan white tails) in the area but I've never seen any around the house. I'm not sure if they're a different species or just have stunted growth.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
                We had wildlife today. Actually my street was the sight of some Wild Kingdom. Predator and prey. The predator was a bird, so was the prey.

I came outside to find out what all the hub bub was about. The birds were making a serious ruckus. I can understand why after seeing this guy standing on his dinner. The little bird was still kicking when I took these.

I believe that's a falcon. Peregrine falcons feed mainly on small birds and especially pigeons. I saw one dive at a pigeon one time and hit it mid-air... looked just like a missile attack. The falcon streaked in, the pigeon exploded in a cloud of feathers and then dropped to the ground.

They had a problem with pigeons in Toledo, Ohio when I was in college up there, and rather than trap/kill them, the do-gooders decided the thing to do was introduce birth control into their population by putting it in food, and putting the food in high-density pigeon areas.
                And then they wondered why the population of the endangered Peregrine falcons dropped.

Someone else mentioned eagles... when I lived in Florida, I saw a HUGE small-mouth bass drop in the middle of the road in front of me, followed by a Gigantic black bird, and then one right behind it. A bald eagle and an Osprey landed on the side of the road and started tusselling over the fish. One of the two of them wore what had to be a 6-foot wingspan. My God they were big birds.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Brad54
                  When I lived in Florida, I saw a HUGE small-mouth bass drop in the middle of the road in front of me, followed by a Gigantic black bird, and then one right behind it. A bald eagle and an Osprey landed on the side of the road and started tusselling over the fish. One of the two of them wore what had to be a 6-foot wingspan. My God they were big birds.
                  Where did you live in Florida Brad ?

My guess is the Osprey caught the Bass and was on the way home, when the Eagle decided he needed it more ...
                  Osprey's are better fishermen, but Eagles are better fighters !!
                  ;D

Comment

I lived in Lakeland for 7 years. My wife was born and raised there.
                    We moved to Georgia 6 years ago.

-Brad

Comment

Working...
                    X