Tell Me Where To Go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell Me Where To Go!

After yet another hellish adventure in living on a fixed income in gentrified southern California I am again longing for a relocation. The place must be cheap, have a VA hospital close, good internet access, local motorsports activity, hospitable climate and did I say cheap? Right now my leading candidate is OKC, not because of the TV show, but because it showed up on a list of 10 cheapest cities the rest of which were Mexican border towns. I recently received my old fart status as a retiree so anywhere is a possibility, even as an expatriate. I just want a place where I can afford to rent more than just a bed and maybe, just maybe own and drive a car. Ideas? Experiences?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Stay in the South.

Comment

We love Wilmington but I'm afraid that the cheap real estate may be gone. We have a VA clinic and they keep talking about getting a hospital but for now you would have to drive, I think to Fayetteville. Now that I think about it, Fayetteville, NC might be worth investigating. Ft. Bragg is there so there's a PX and maybe is where the VA hospital is. Worth a look though it's far from the seashore.

If you're considering OK, you may want to check out Clinton. Last I knew the real estate was dead cheap and at least at one time there was a VA hospital there. No clue on the current status of the VA. And there's Jig's Smokehouse - great stuff.

Dan

Comment

The Carolinas are in the running. I will always be a renter I fear. Just no dedication to any one thing for too long, like a house. Target rent is $500 for a one bedroom, although I prefer a studio or single for less. Problem is they are mainly in urban areas. I should have been more specific about VA facilities, a good Outreach Clinic would be fine, which reminds me to take another look at Tulsa, better drag strip there....

Comment

Tulsa is also a nicer town from my (limited) experience.

Dan

Comment

I live in Tulsa and love it!!! Cheaper than OKC and the traffic isn't as bad!
            Formerly Shannon (aka: HillbillySailor). 2549 posts.

Comment

like jobs, your status a vet, nearly open history..your application is like a resume.
              you could find the right realty management.

my first go at public help is not so good, but most of the benefits are there. (getting healthy isn't one of them)
              I applied for another management service, and there is psycho/criminal past questions. That turned out to be extremely important.
              the place I am at now is incredibly offset by mental problems.

one vet in the building gets more my miles in my truck than I do.. he'd probably die if I didn't help with the 222 mile round trip to the VA hospital.
              I left off where you are headed.. 450-500 max.. single tiny place, be it a safe one. Always urban. I ran from my last address, even encountered a wanted serial killer, on top of the druggists and casual gangstas.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; July 10, 2017, 03:12 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Fayetteville looks good except for the fact the rents vary quite widely. That is how things began to change here until the vacancy rate dropped then rent skyrocketed on anything with doors and windows. Of course population shifts aren't as drastic in other areas and realtors aren't as greedy. Real estate ads here used to feature starter homes in suburban areas with lucrative finance rates. Now they focus on income property with "market rate" gross rent receipts. Nobody realizes the work involved in being a landlord, they just see the possibility of easy money.

​My veteran status and subsidized housing is a possibility, but only seems to work AFTER one is settled into an area. I had excellent subsidized housing here for 6 years but there is a resentment to the entitlements involved that builds over time. A huge project in West LA is a possibility for me in the future but it is moving very slowly. Plus once I have seen the rents more than double here I just want to GET OUT.

Comment

North East Ohio (esp Akron-Canton) is cheap, has VA and motorsports, but there is winter 4-5 months a year. Depends what's important to you.

Comment

If you want to get the best value for your retirement money, here are nine U.S. states you should be avoiding upon retirement in no particular order.
                    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                    X