This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

According to the TV ads I think it's really Morgan and Morgan and Morgan and Morgan and........

Dan
    I was going to say that, but didn't as I wasn't sure how widespread they were.
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Well, I wasn't going to mention any names, but it seems like you may know who I was talking about.

Comment

I have a doctor's letter that I can use, I have a back injury and can't sit for extended periods without getting up and wandering around. BUT I do have the best iron-clad out if you don't want to serve. All you have to say during the selection is, "I know the defendant from somewhere, I just can't place it right now.". Instant exit, stage right. Most of the time you'll be excused for the day by 10 am.

I worked with this one guy who insisted on messing with the jury duty system. His reward: He had to serve for 6-months on a grand jury and he had to go in every Friday. He eventually got on a case and was out for a few months.

Comment

I believe the term "peer" refers to an equal. In the context of a juror, it doesn't mean friend, but somebody that is your equal. In this country we are all equal, or are supposed to be.
          I have gotten called for jury duty twice. The first time was many years ago and I was still teaching (actually a school counselor at that time). Principals hate to have there staff on jury duty and try to put it off until vacation time (which can be done fairly easily). Being a counselor I would not have missed time as a classroom teacher would have and he would not have had to hire a substitute. Luckily my principal at the time agreed and went to serve. Thing was this was the first week of the year. This is when they randomly pick members for grand jury duty. That means you serve every other Monday for a year. My principal was not happy, but understood the situation. The second time I got called I was in the hospital after having a pace maker installed. Obviously this was not going to play out and my wife took my doctor's note to the court house and naturally I did not have to serve. I have not been called since. In a few months I will be 70, so I will be in the same boat as Dan.
          I have a hard time understanding why folks don't serve. I know there are jobs and family involved, I get that. However, if the jury pool is limited to folks who have absolutely no way to get out of serving, does that leave a jury you would want to be judged by? Not me.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
            if the jury pool is limited to folks who have absolutely no way to get out of serving, does that leave a jury you would want to be judged by? Not me.
            Exactly. That's where my mindset is. Exactly.

And I'll still say, a cop wouldn't go to the trouble to arrest somebody who hasn't done anything wrong. Arresting somebody by itself is trouble. Or it may be a civil case, somebody suing somebody else.

And as said, I'm not even "on" a jury yet. Tuesday will tell. Some sort of a screening process. I'll grow up about 10% and go downtown to the courthouse and see what's that's all about. But no, I'm not "into it," I'm not into it at all. It's either go do it or face a contempt of court charge for not doing it. And there it is---is that the jury anybody wants?
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You assume everyone is as pathetic as you, P. But decent folks like Joe Roberts and me will serve because it's our civil duty. We know this republic will only work correctly if the citizens recognize that rights AND responsibilities go hand in hand. It's all down to who is a giver and who is a taker. Apparently, you side with the takers.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

It's a mighty good thing I'm not judging "your" case Stude. But BS is supposed to be fun, and it is. Even in spite of you. Even WITH you, it's still fun.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                  You assume everyone is as pathetic as you, P. But decent folks like Joe Roberts and me will serve because it's our civil duty. We know this republic will only work correctly if the citizens recognize that rights AND responsibilities go hand in hand. It's all down to who is a giver and who is a taker. Apparently, you side with the takers.
                  #### YOU - you self-declared morally superior assholes are as much a problem with our society as are those that are apathetic!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

#### YOU - you self-declared morally superior assholes are as much a problem with our society as are those that are apathetic!
                    Ohhhh please, can I like that more than once? THANK YOU cstmwgn, I love you Man. FINALLY somebody stood up to that asshole, somebody other than me. THANK YOU!!!! I LOVE you Man!
                    Last edited by pdub; July 30, 2017, 04:54 PM.

Comment

the great part of being a citizen of this grand country is being one of the free to express ones freedoms because of the brave....not to be judged by a predetermined notion... it is up to those who are willing to become jurors and ONLY those on a given jury to judge IMPARTIALLY!! the rest of us must accept their judgement and hope that justice is best served... other than that there is only karma!
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Oh, really? Please explain to me how being a decent, law abiding person is a problem in our society? I'm just dying to hear your take on that. I'll wait while you compose a rational answer, if you can.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

Oh, really? Please explain to me how being a decent, law abiding person is a problem in our society? I'm just dying to hear your take on that. I'll wait while you compose a rational answer, if you can.
                          In my opinion "decent" people don't belittle others for their beliefs that differ from their own.
                          I don't have any problem with your opinions and beliefs on how one should act when it comes to their civic duty - what I have a problem with is you belittling someone else because they don't behave up to your standards or expectations.

Comment

Working...
                          X